Review Dogs scrape home against Oranges 62-57

Remove this Banner Ad

I got the impression Bont was making a point about applying yourself to do the selfless things when you don't have the ball.
Baz doesn't appear ready to hear the message.
Yeah, similar to the impression I took away from it, but hard to say definitively without knowing what was said. On the balance of visual evidence, think you've nailed it though.

Even though the disposal by both teams in this game was just terrible, another thing that stood out when I watched the replay was the standard of umpiring was also below AFL standard. Naughton in particular was extremely hard done by. I mean they guy took a number of clear marks that were deemed not a mark and had some shocking decisions against him also. But just in general I didn’t think the game was umpired well.

You could probably say it was in line with the standard dished up by both teams though. It was definitely a struggle to watch. Based on our last few efforts I’m not sure we can break our Tassie Hawthorn hoodoo and win down there. We should be better than them but we are not playing our best football at the moment and it has not been a happy hunting ground for us. I hope I’m wrong but I wouldn’t be surprised if we gift Carlton their place in the finals before they even have to play.

The bump going to the tribunal stinks to high hell considering the bump was ungraded. It's an absolute stitch up.
I don’t understand how you can execute a perfect bump, not hit the guy high at all and because he falls to the ground and then hits his head, which is always a possibility when anyone gets bumped, then you end up on report?

You have to say Cordy executed the bump perfectly and showed a duty of care not to hit his opponent in the head. What more is he meant to do, lay out a mattress on the ground before the player falls over and tuck a pillow under his head?

How can he possibly be suspended for that? If that is a suspension then honestly the AFL just have to outlaw the bump altogether from the game and make it clear that any bump is a report for dangerous conduct because literally every time it could end up like this and therefore it must be considered too dangerous to have as part of the game, due to the potential for head injuries. But if they don’t do that, then Cordy has to get off because he didn’t actually do anything wrong.

Personally I’m not fussed if he plays or not next week, but on principe, he didn’t do anything wrong, so how can he get suspended. Yes he elected to bump, but he got him in the shoulder, and then the GWS player just fell down and flung his head back. He wasn’t hit in the head.

I don’t understand how you can execute a perfect bump, not hit the guy high at all and because he falls to the ground and then hits his head, which is always a possibility when anyone gets bumped, then you end up on report?

You have to say Cordy executed the bump perfectly and showed a duty of care not to hit his opponent in the head. What more is he meant to do, lay out a mattress on the ground before the player falls over and tuck a pillow under his head?

How can he possibly be suspended for that? If that is a suspension then honestly the AFL just have to outlaw the bump altogether from the game and make it clear that any bump is a report for dangerous conduct because literally every time it could end up like this and therefore it must be considered too dangerous to have as part of the game, due to the potential for head injuries. But if they don’t do that, then Cordy has to get off because he didn’t actually do anything wrong.

Personally I’m not fussed if he plays or not next week, but on principe, he didn’t do anything wrong, so how can he get suspended. Yes he elected to bump, but he got him in the shoulder, and then the GWS player just fell down and flung his head back. He wasn’t hit in the head.
I'm not entirely convinced he didn't make contact with the head. Perhaps another angle would show it better, but I think they're taking it to the Tribunal to try to determine whether it was this or his head hitting the turf which caused the concussion. I don't think Bruhn's head made contact with Cordy but there are a few grainy stills which make it look a little borderline. Certainly the initial contact was shoulder to shoulder.

Screenshot_20220815-103057_Twitter.jpg

He had no other option but to bump.

The bump was the only option to provide the shepherd.

I'm not entirely convinced he didn't make contact with the head. Perhaps another angle would show it better, but I think they're taking it to the Tribunal to try to determine whether it was this or his head hitting the turf which caused the concussion. I don't think Bruhn's head made contact with Cordy but there are a few grainy stills which make it look a little borderline. Certainly the initial contact was shoulder to shoulder.
I was thinking the same thing, but having gone back and watched it super slowmo I'm 90% sure there was no head contact. The timing and way Bruhn's head moves looks much more like a whiplash effect from the rest of his body being hit the other way, rather than his head bouncing off Cordy's shoulder. Also pretty sure I see daylight (or grass, in this case) between them in every frame too, though Bruhn's super floppy hair makes it hard to be sure.

Also, can't help but feel like if you're sending Cordy to the tribunal for a footy action where no head contact was made, perhaps the MRO wants to consider doing something about the deliberate hit to Cordy's head 2 seconds later?

Those dirty pr!cks were into us physically all game and didn't miss many along the way yet we have a player fined 2K for a retaliatory love tap and another for the perfect bump.... I wasn't a fan of the way we played but the Plastics came with one thing on their minds and that was to end our season on that afternoon and our boys stood up and won the game which gets conveniently gets forgotten on here at times?

I was thinking the same thing, but having gone back and watched it super slowmo I'm 90% sure there was no head contact. ...

Also, can't help but feel like if you're sending Cordy to the tribunal for a footy action where no head contact was made, perhaps the MRO wants to consider doing something about the deliberate hit to Cordy's head 2 seconds later?

Thankyou for posting those 2 videos. At the point of impact, it looks like Cordy's shoulder is higher than Bruhn's and goes on to contact Bruhn's head. I won't be surprised if the Tribunal slots him. The GWS player who collected Cordy afterwards would probably have been cited, may still be, had Cordy suffered an injury. A pity he wasn't because the 3rd man in impact is the usual cause of escalation to an all in brawl.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thankyou for posting those 2 videos. At the point of impact, it looks like Cordy's shoulder is higher than Bruhn's and goes on to contact Bruhn's head. I won't be surprised if the Tribunal slots him. The GWS player who collected Cordy afterwards would probably have been cited, may still be, had Cordy suffered an injury. A pity he wasn't because the 3rd man in impact is the usual cause of escalation to an all in brawl.
There might have been some contact with the point of Cordy's shoulder but it's more to do with the whiplash action from Bruhn's upper body being stopped abruptly. The major impact was clearly shoulder to shoulder.

What's worth noting is that Cordy had his feet planted the whole time and was coming up from a semi-crouching position. Also Bruhn saw Cordy coming and had time to brace. That's in stark contrast to the hit from above and behind by an aerial Cripps, catching Ah Chee unawares.

All this probably counts for nothing with the AFL and I expect that's probably Cordy's season done.

Never mind a full review of the Bulldogs footy department. A full review of practices and inconsistencies in the AFL's judicial system is well overdue. Does anyone here have any confidence in it?

After re watching the replay I think we actually did a hell of a lot right, especially after half time. The first half wasn’t great, but the second half, if we just take our chances in that last quarter we would have won by a lot more. We were definitely on top and creating the sorts of shots at goal that we would normally convert. We just kept hitting the post or missing our chances. The McNeil one where he burnt Treloar was the worst, that should have been a certain goal, the Bont’s shot looked like going through but hits the post, Marra would normally make that one from dead in front, even Naughton’s shot from a tight angle only just missed, plus plenty of other chances just missed with a slight miscue on a kick or hand pass in the chain leading to the shot inside 50….. so I think we looked much better in the 2nd half but just didn’t put it on the scoreboard, which is a classic Dogs thing to do.

Rewatching the second half now, my lord Naughts got some harsh treatment on a lot of 50/50’s. Hope they show him the tape and tell him he’s actually had quite a good game.
We had a visiting British father and son, guests of Dogs members, sitting next to us at the game. Never seen footy before, not even on FOX.
They were keen to learn and asked a lot of questions about the game.

The 13 year old son picked it up pretty quickly. During the last quarter, he asked two very insightful questions:

1. Why are the Oranges allowed to hold and push the Dogs #33 all the time?
I had no real answer to that 😕

2. Why do the Dogs players go backwards before they go forward to kick it when they mark it or get a free, but the Oranges don't?
It was fun trying to explain the "outside 5" tactic to him 😳

We had a visiting British father and son, guests of Dogs members, sitting next to us at the game. Never seen footy before, not even on FOX.

The 13 year old son picked it up pretty quickly. During the last quarter, he asked two very insightful questions:

2. Why do the Dogs players go backwards before they go forward to kick it when they mark it or get a free, but the Oranges don't?
What does he think about the two ruck issue

Perhaps he could join the coaching team for next year?

I think that might be a question for next time, Fossie 🤭

By the way, they became rusted-on Dogs supporters very quickly!
"Yes! We won!", said the young fella when the siren went!
How much is he going to love us when he sees us actually playing well!

It felt like arm chopping was allowed if you were wearing orange too. I was baffled by how many I saw

After watching the game again, three things:

No matter where, when or how, beating the Oranges is, and always will be, a thing of beauty. Grubby out, and then winning by a kick, actually makes it all the more enjoyable. For me, anyway.

Keeffe's "shepherd" on Dunks late in the 3rd quarter was every bit as dangerous as Cordy's alleged misdemeanour. Should also be reportable. As if it will be 😕

Westy looks ready for the midfield. He firstly ragdolled Coniglio in a fierce contest then later decked Hopper in a crunching head-on, sending that player off the ground for treatment. If Dunks happens to leave, Rhylee West come on down!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back