List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logue needs to put the ego aside a little, stop listening to Colon Young and sign. He won’t get better than that and if he does it’ll be at a s**t team where he’ll win nothing. If that’s the sort of player he is, then he can go. Won’t hurt much.

Unless he’s getting a huge offer elsewhere..
4 x 500 is good money at a club you love - which he does. You can see it and he’s said it. Just come through rebuild and playing finals.

Would you move east for 4 x 550? Nah
4 x 600 maybe.. uprooting whole life is tough though..
5 x 600 or 4 x 650 you’d think definite yes.

Also, If you’re moving from Freo to a low team for money, you might miss a flag.

Why wouldn't you just pay Logue? If Jackson wants in and Lobb wants out it's perfect.

Serong out of contract end of 2023. I’m certain this is the number 1 thought. Teams will come hard for him. We prob need 750k / year deal lined up. Keep in mind that the salary cap is going up, some clubs will give out ridiculous contracts soon.

If the cap goes up 20% it's almost $2,700,000 extra to spend and there will be at least one club who offers half that to Serong a year. Perhaps even $2,000,000 in the first year.

Nothing quite as destabilizing to a system as throwing huge amounts of excess cash into it.

I don’t subscribe that we go backwards next season if worst case happens and we lost Lobb Logue Acres Tucker. Mundy retirement too. Assuming Jackson comes in if we’re trading Lobb.

So from the team that played on Sat v Dogs.

In - Jackson out - Lobb
In - Tabs out - Logue
In - Johnson/Erasmus/Henry out - Acres
In - Fyfe out - Mundy

Lobb has kicked 34 goals through regular season. Logue kicked 5. Taberner 23.

Jackson’s kicked 11 this year.

Can a healthy Taberner Jackson and Amiss kick more than 62 goals? I’d argue yes.

I reckon Amiss could kick 25+ in his first full season easily

Serong out of contract end of 2023. I’m certain this is the number 1 thought. Teams will come hard for him. We prob need 750k / year deal lined up. Keep in mind that the salary cap is going up, some clubs will give out ridiculous contracts soon.

He’s not going anywhere, but they’ll have plenty set aside.
Luke Ryan’s out of contract next year too. Non free agent.

I don’t subscribe that we go backwards next season if worst case happens and we lost Lobb Logue Acres Tucker. Mundy retirement too. Assuming Jackson comes in if we’re trading Lobb.

So from the team that played on Sat v Dogs.

In - Jackson out - Lobb
In - Tabs out - Logue
In - Johnson/Erasmus/Henry out - Acres
In - Fyfe out - Mundy

Lobb has kicked 34 goals through regular season. Logue kicked 5. Taberner 23.

Jackson’s kicked 11 this year.

Can a healthy Taberner Jackson and Amiss kick more than 62 goals? I’d argue yes.

I reckon Amiss could kick 25+ in his first full season easily
I know not many here rate him but Ethan Hughes is probably the closest we have to Acres attribute wise.

It was a little harsh having Hughes play wing at AFL level after barely ever playing it before in his life. His recent WAFL games in the role have been very very good.

The Dockers do not want to trade Meek even if they land Jackson to partner ruck star Sean Darcy, but the Jackson situation has seen other clubs look at Meek as a potential pick-up.

Gooooooood. Goooooooooooooood.

That exactly the sort of language we want to hear. Required player. You won't turn my head with a whistle, present something substantial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why wouldn't you just pay Logue? If Jackson wants in and Lobb wants out it's perfect.
Currently I’d argue Jackson plays a closer role to what Logue plays then Lobb. Lobb is currently comfortably the best forward out of the lot

Griffin Logue is worth a lot of money as a key defender, he can't exactly make a case to be in our current best defense while the team is performing and fit.

His next contract will be worth nearly nothing as a 26 year old key forward who doesn't take marks or kick goals. His career needs him playing in the backline.

Logue should take into account the cost of living also. So much more expensive here in Melbourne. $700k a year here is $500k in Perth.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't believe this is the case. This piece below suggests Perth and Melbourne are pretty much the same (5% more)

Cost of living of australia cities:

Sydney
Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra
Adelaide, Hobart, Darwin

I agree with many of the things you say, but some I see differently.

North jave pick 1 in the PSD making the market unequal.

Typically there is only one buyer who is nominated by the player (who often is not involved in the trade price).

No a club does not always have to pay the highest salary but is not by accident that this almost always will be the case.

The Weller case does not compare to Logue because Weller was contracted, not free to take up another contract. Wait another year and we don't get pick 2. It wouldn't be GCSs panicking in the dying moments of the trade it would be us, and we would have no optios available.

A major part of why North or the Bulldogs need to pay more is because he doesn't want to be there. He wants to be in Perth. What Logue 'shoul' do is go to wc, but...
Most of the points we are making we actually both agree on, we are just looking at it from slightly different angles.

My main point I was making is Logue is worth more to other sides then us, and that means other sides should have to pay more in salary and in a trade. What he is worth to us is largely irrelevant. The fact that we already have a stacked defence doesn't mean we should accept less in a trade.

Can see Logue signing a 2 year contract

A lot can happen in two years to our defence

Hamling retires
Wilson retires
Pearces leg issues continues (2022 is a once-off)
Chappy / young goes to midfield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He apparently already has a 4 year contract in front of him from us & others, I don’t think he’s signing a 2 year contract.

He apparently already has a 4 year contract in front of him from us & others, I don’t think he’s signing a 2 year contract.

4 years at a set value - let’s say 550k somewhere else (2.2m)

Takes 2 at freo at 500k, (1m) backs himself - works back into backline, becomes a best 22, and is now worth more than what he’s being offered now

He then re-signs in 2 years time, at a higher value which will likely be his last contract at a higher 4 year deal

Depends if he wants to back himself in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depth can come from emerging players, which we have an abundance of. It doesn't have to come from mid tier players who are never going to play best 22. Treacy, Amiss and Sturt are excellent forward depth if they hadn't had injury issues themselves. Meek is excellent ruck depth.

In addition our depth reflects the imbalance in our list making them almost redundant. We don't need half back flankers. We don't need more small players. Especially if they cost us best 22 players due to salary cap (Logue, Acres) or take opportunity from emerging players.

Almost none of the depth players on our list are multi positional, so we end up with someone like Banfield as our first depth player when Wilson is a significantly better player. Or Hughes. Or Crowden.
There’s 44 guys on a list though and when your competing, a more mature body can be a difference maker. I still don’t understand the issue signing up experienced players on minimum contracts. I’d argue multi-positional depth players are a pretty rare bread, especially on the contracts they are on.

Sometimes I find it hard to decipher what your laying down but am I right in understanding your not happy with the list management team at the moment? What’s your ideal off-season at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back