Review Dees v Lions Götterdämmerung: the Twilight of the Gods: good, bad and fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Avoid embarrassing ourselves in front of Geelong next week. Pretty sure they’ll pump Brisbane but surely the Lions are a better chance given how cooked we looked late.

Petracca, Harmes, ANB and Petty all busted their campaigners on a dirty night.

Bad:
12 goals to 5 from 28 points up with 16 seconds to go in the second. Every loss we’ve had this year bar Geelong has been similar. We get to a point of putting the game out of reach and then get really passive when the opposition gets a run on. At first we blamed loading and then it was injuries, surely the biggest factor is mindset?

Salem, Jackson, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver were passengers.

Fugly
The forward line
Undisciplined shit from Pickett and Lever in the last
Sparrow, Brown and Rivers were all mind bogglingly shit.

He thought he knew what he was doing. He was wrong. And stunned with the free kick against him.
That is the problem I have with his game, this year.

He is so narrow minded, he always thinks he's right. His footy perception is OFF this season, and with that, he has put our team under so much pressure, Via his slow, and negative use, with the ball.

To me, this is why our other defenders made as many bad decisions with the ball, after Qtr time.

Because from Levers negative actions early in the game, he brought the pressure back onto us, as a team. The pressure pendulum swung, from Levers actions.
yeah I agree. Petty has past Lever now. comfortably. It's now May, Petty, Lever. Petty is also our best forward too it seems.

Love him but I reckon Koz had maybe the worst five minutes I’ve ever seen from a player.
Laziest player in the team. Has all the pace and ability, only ever takes the trick shot, has zero defensive pressure, and always seems to “just” miss getting there for the smother, tackle etc.

call me racist like a bloke did tonight at the game all you want, but he’s a lazy, piss take of a player. Cannot be relied upon weekly

Grundy could be a very good move. Honestly, Max should have torn tonight’s game to bits against Darcy * Fort and god knows who else chipped in. Sadly, he is on the decline from his best football.

If we can get two good years out of Grundy and other the same period Van Rooyen and another forward (recruit? TMac?) are serviceable we could stay in the pointy end of the flag hunt while we have peak Steven May.
Where do our goals come from?

Laziest player in the team. Has all the pace and ability, only ever takes the trick shot, has zero defensive pressure, and always seems to “just” miss getting there for the smother, tackle etc.

call me racist like a bloke did tonight at the game all you want, but he’s a lazy, piss take of a player. Cannot be relied upon weekly
Yeah, and then gives away a dumb down the field free because he pushes some guy in the back looking like he almost did something. He needs to do the basics better.

Where do our goals come from?
2 key tall forwards and a deviation from the current game plan that is currently all in on creating ground ball contest and taking territory from kicking to pack situations.

We have competition elite contested ball winning beasts so I can understand why the strategy is what it is. We haven’t built a team of elite ball users so won’t beat teams that way that have.

From an outsider looking in for the first game, i agree & it looks kinda petty. It also has aged badly after tonight.

I have to give Melbourne credit, their commitment to following Richmond's Silk road to Power is very impressive. Your 21 & 22 seasons. Are startlingly similar to our 17-18.

Commiserations on the loss, It really sucks when you lose a final against a team you know you are better than. Not a fun night, was really hoping u guys would take the lions & cats out for us😔
2017 yes, 2018 no. 2018 Richmond were clearly the best team in the competition, 5 of our 6 losses in the home and away season we had decent leads then got overran. In 2018 Richmond were squeezing teams then putting them to the sword in the last, if we were anywhere near that level, our only loss comes against Geelong. We went from 10-0 to 6-8 including finals. It's not the end of the world but we are nowhere near Richmond dominance circa 2018. I really hope we can make some adjustments and look completely different next year.

2 key talls and a deviation from the current game plan that is currently all in on creating ground ball contest and taking territory from kicking to pack situations.

We have competition elite contested ball winning beasts so I can understand why the strategy is what it is. We haven’t built a team of elite ball users so won’t beat teams that way that have.
but who are the key calls? JVR who is yet to debut and who else ? I want specific names :)

There seems to be none up for offer in trade.

Kozzy had a bit of a bizzaro game.

At some times he was our most dangerous forward and looked like the only one capable of possibly swinging the game in our favour.

At other times he had multiple brain farts in a row and shit the bed entirely.

Either way he's one of our best young talents and a lock in the forward line. Just need the coaches to work with him on those deficiencies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He said he tried to make changes on the run all season but none that arrested the slide.

How about changing the ****ing personnel from our unbeaten VFL side you dh?

Kozzy had a bit of a bizzaro game.

At some times he was our most dangerous forward and looked like the only one capable of possibly swinging the game in our favour.

At other times he had multiple brain farts in a row and s**t the bed entirely.

Either way he's one of our best young talents and a lock in the forward line. Just need the coaches to work with him on those deficiencies.
When Jackson dropped that mark, he and Kozzy were 2v1. Instead of waiting at LJ's feet, Kozzy ran in the wrong direction. As a pure crumber, he's got a lot of work to do.

I find it ironic that we won the 2021 grand final by kicking 3 goals in 55 seconds heading into 3/4 time and in 2022 we lost in the finals by conceding 2 goals in 15 seconds at the end of 3/4 time. Pathetic by Melbourne.

How many of our players made significant strides this year? Petty... anyone else?

The clubs still in it have had recruits instantly better them, significant development from existing players, or both.

We had a heap of players in career best form last year, it was naive to think that the same would happen again, particularly since our game style was always going to be under the microscope after winning the flag.

Not experimenting with the forward setup (beyond a few games for Weid, M Brown & Bedford during the year) when we had countless chances was particularly stupid, given how obvious a weakness it is.

How many of our players made significant strides this year? Petty... anyone else?

The clubs still in it have had recruits instantly better them, significant development from existing players, or both.

We had a heap of players in career best form last year, it was naive to think that the same would happen again, particularly since our game style was always going to be under the microscope after winning the flag.

Not experimenting with the forward setup (beyond a few games for Weid, M Brown & Bedford during the year) when we had countless chances was particularly stupid, given how obvious a weakness it is.
Exactly.. We gifted games to people like Salem but dropped Bowey. Not to mention the forwards...

but who are the key calls? JVR who is yet to debut and who else ? I want specific names :)

There seems to be none up for offer in trade.
It could be TMac and Van Rooyen if we can’t bring anyone in via trade, I don’t pretend to know who we could be a chance to bring in. If Grundy is the best talent available in the market that we can bring on to the list I am ok with it.

A new draft pick key position player does nothing for us in Gawn and May’s final good years.

Grundy could be a very good move. Honestly, Max should have torn tonight’s game to bits against Darcy * Fort and god knows who else chipped in. Sadly, he is on the decline from his best football.

If we can get two good years out of Grundy and over the same period Van Rooyen and another forward (recruit? TMac?) are serviceable we could stay in the pointy end of the flag hunt while we have peak Steven May.
We need more than just another ruckman.

# Oliver is just way too much one dimensional. Can't play another position.
# Petracca is also, too one-dimensional.
# Gawn is also too one dimensional.
# Lever is too one-dimensional... And too slow, by foot & across the ground.

# Brayshaw is able to play in many positions.
# Petty is able to play in many positions.

I think we need draft another inside/outside mid... to add some other style with which we can change thru the guts.

I think we need another hff with elite skills.

And I think we should chat to Lachie Ash.

Last edited:
When Jackson dropped that mark, he and Kozzy were 2v1. Instead of waiting at LJ's feet, Kozzy ran in the wrong direction. As a pure crumber, he's got a lot of work to do.
I just wonder how many things these players have in their heads sometimes. Our gameplan is highly engineered, quite often at time at odds with natural football. Not an excuse, just an observation.

What on earth is wrong with Dogs supporters and why are they so keen to remind us about the Grand Final where we demolished them? Am I missing something? It's like reverse trolling
That would be the supporters of a club thats only flag in three generations was won for them by the umpires?

Complete low class low inteligence flogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back