Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

* Stanley had a good game, to make up for being a bit crap against Collingwood.

* Tuohy seemed to be everywhere. I don't think I saw him waste a disposal.

* I've never seen a bloke happier to see his teammates kick a goal than Jezza. The spirit he's brought to the club has been immense, on top of all the goals of course.

* Smith did nothing except keep Rich away from the footy, which was worth a lot. I reckon his input would be rated higher if he'd been luckier with one of his shots on goal

* Kolo looks a lot better playing a bit further up the ground. He was amazing tonight

* Maxy Holmes ... astonishing first half and then a really shitty bit of bad luck. I hope he makes it next week

* I was amazed when the stats said Selwood had only 12 touches. He seemed like he was everywhere tonight.

* Sam de Koning made Daniher look second rate, and Daniher is pretty damn good.

* Stengle. Recruit of the century.

* I was amazed when the stats said Duncan had 26 touches, because I reckon I hardly saw him. On second viewing though he was very often the second guy in the quick 1-2-3 handball chains.

* Rohan had another good game to back up his fine effort against the Pies.

* Bewsy had a good 150th. I don't know why, but he is somehow inconspicuous with all the flashy moves he pulls.

* Hawkins could have had 8 tonight.

* Cam Guthrie... steady, solid, unexceptional. Quite a good game.

* Atkins seemed to be carrying a niggle. He is best when the pressure is on, which it wasn't tonight, so he seemed surplus to requirements at times. Not the worst problem to have.

* Miers. I reckon that weird flat hooking kick he does is great at spotting up someone on the lead. I'm sure Hawkins loves him. Another brilliant game.

* Patrick F. Dangerfield. What more can you say?

* Henry was solid as a rock in defense. You don't see it reflected in his own stats, but when he's playing well it lets Stewart and Kolo roam around a bit more, which is so unbelievably valuable.

* Zuthrie. I remember another blond medium defender who used to wear #39 for Geelong that Zuthrie is starting to remind me of.

* I like MOC as the medisub. He just comes in and gets the job done without fanfare. He did concede one BT free kick, which is like a BS free kick but even more outrageously wrong.

* I saw Stewart interviewed after the match and he seemed down on his own performance. No idea why. The ball hardly came down there and he still gained nearly 500m for us off just 16 touches.

* I was chatting with a mate the other day who reckons Close reminds him of Kevin Bartlett. KB was a bit before my time but I looked at some old footage and I think I know what he means. He's not physically large but he tackles for keeps and somehow seems to have an extra second or two even in the heaviest congestion.

* Blicavs, another fine game. Anyone who reckons he can't perform in finals needs his head read. I loved when he started shoving McInerney around and grabbing the ball out of the ruck.
Re: Stanley - ceglar’s influence as being a pretty decent - big - ruck to practise with has probably been undervalued.

I’m still raging at the music between goals. The music at other times is annoying and often corny, but for those not there they actually played Tom Jones’ version of ‘what’s new pussy cat’ after a goal of ours and right up to the next bounce. Super-loud and with fireworks. That’s actually what happened!

I like loud music away from footy, and heavy music too, but for the love of god, allah, and all the rest of them fellas, get it out of the game.

Lol am I the only one who loves music at the games? Just adds to the atmosphere imo. Love hearing Dangerzone blaring after Paddy rips through the opposition! 😁

Who were the people questioning Danger's position in the side prefinal?

Don't be shy... Pop your hands up. Crazy to even consider leaving Dangerfield out of the side if ready to play.

I'll admit that I said Miers looked "not up to finals" at 1/4 time... and he really played out of his skin after that.
I did see in a write-up that he was spending time on Rich, who really is one of the worst defenders in the game, so maybe that helped him get of the chain a tad more than normal... Still, was fire after 1/4 time and credit to him.

Kolo proved his worth to the side... A fit Kolo will always be picked... Same as Rohan.

Hoping for a miracle for Holmes... The kid has just "got it".
I don't think Miers should start on the ground both finals he has been bad in the 1st qt, then he has turned it around from then on

Q2 rewatch:

-Henry gave Hipwood a bath to this point and looked a lot more confident than in some of his finals. Marked well too.
-SDK out marking Daniher every time. The big forwards had to push to the wing to get ineffective touches.
-Hard to tell McStay is even out there while his opponent Kolo is in the best few players on the ground
-Bews has completely blanketed Cameron. Notice a recurring theme?
-Tuohy and Duncan really important at linking defence to attack and far more effective at it than Rich tonight. Also Duncan's spoils and pressure efforts as good as they've ever been. Almost a real life defender!
-Sel still highly influential in any passage of play he's involved in and the reduced minutes mean he can still see apply serious pressure (some previous finals he's been too gassed)
-Hawkins besides his set shot jitters was dominating and a big part of our scoring chains
-The two turnovers we forced (Hipwood dropped mark - Zuthrie kick to Rohan, then the central corridor tackle by Kolo, Stengle kick to Hawk - Cameron - Miers snap) showed how well our forward half pressure worked. Brisbane were scared to go direct or quick all game because they were being punished.
-Set up behind the ball is immaculate and completely stifling them. Blicavs puts in a serious shift to block space and repel transition.
-Miers! Slick, creative and starting to boss the game. Our half forwards just won't stop running and getting involved in those battles on the wings. Great to see.
-Danger still dominant
-Stanley much better this week and interesting with his sometimes defensive role

Oh and Holmesy absolutely brilliant, amazing how a kid almost makes everyone stand taller. Fearless and relentless.

All the Miers doubters put your hands up and your heads down. He was awesome tonight, his running across the ground is elite. The impact he has with his possessions on scoring or forward movement is so impactful for the team.
If it was him, not Evans, (the Geelong small forward) that Port were after - I’d be asking for a Rd 1 pick.

He’s elite with some of things he does. And his distribution is going to help our forwards for the next 10 years.

For all those who wanted him to he harder - he’s as tough as he needs to be. Very happy the coaches backed him in. He’s clearly a very teachable young player.

Steve Hocking changed things up when he arrived. Steve returning to the club is looking like a great move. Most seem to have bought in to what he was selling, particularly Chris Scott. I guess those who didn't aren't there any more. Looking at the players and how the game is played with a blank sheet preseason appears to have refreshed the game plan and how players are used. Add to that some break outs by younger players and excellent management of older players, the benefits are there for all to see.

Last edited:
Lol am I the only one who loves music at the games? Just adds to the atmosphere imo. Love hearing Dangerzone blaring after Paddy rips through the opposition! 😁

I enjoyed the pregame atmosphere, and the small fireworks and lights for each goal added to it nicely.
The music I can take or leave, usually I'm too busy still cheering and celebrating the goal to really notice, but it DOES add to the atmosphere without being intrusive.

Big shout out to Brisbane for eliminating two of our possible ‘bogey‘ teams and then bending over obligingly for us in that game.
If we do win the big dance they should get a special mention in the fine print on the cup.
Hopefully pies and swans beat up on each other big time.
Looking forward to that game almost as much as last night’s

Has anybody received their ballot allocation for tickets? I got a text this morning saying to make sure I had money in the account (which I promptly transferred over) but am worried I missed it :/ I am priority one. I thought it would be happening monday once competing teams were known.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Has anybody received their ballot allocation for tickets? I got a text this morning saying to make sure I had money in the account (which I promptly transferred over) but am worried I missed it :/ I am priority one. I thought it would be happening monday once competing teams were known.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Head over to the fixture and ticketing thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations, as a supporter all I ever want from my club is that they give their all each match, Geelong do that and have done that for well over a decade now, quite extraordinary.
I see a lot of similarities between Geelong and Sydney regarding this mindset. If Sydney win today then I can honestly say that both Clubs deserve a flag for longevity alone, clearly there will only be one winner, should be a great game.

Crazy that we won this "50/50" game so easily.
I did not think it was a 50/50 game Brisbane beat 2 average sides, we have been the best side most of the year, was olny upset by our bad kicking for goal early
You guys picked it well during the week.

This result proves many things, mainly that I have no idea how good we are.
More importantly, we are the best team in it this year, and throroughly deserve to be in the GF and to win it.

The only negative for me was Holmes- who wears that #9 really well- and could be missed if a true Hammy.
The positives were overwhelming.

ALL the fears I had about:
  • the second bye- we were as fresh and hungry as possible
  • Charlie Cameron- Jed Bews was fantastic
  • Hipwood McStay, and Joe Daniher- KOLO proved why I have always rated his importance to our team, DeKoning was scarily cool and good, and I loved the CS tactic of putting Stanley in defence at times when Blicavs rucked.-
  • Neale- another perfect masterful coaching display- although Neale had many possessions, he was always hassled by the rotation of our stoppers on him.

It's a beautiful prospect of studying our next opposition, and watching them maul each other.

I'm rapt that this GF will hopefully see our Guthrie brothers be the successful brothers next week. Will it be against the McCartin brothers or the Daicos brothers?

More importantly, we are the best team in it this year, and throroughly deserve to be in the GF and to win it.

The only negative for me was Holmes- who wears that #9 really well- and could be missed if a true Hammy.

• Hipwood McStay, and Joe Daniher- KOLO proved why I have always rated his importance to our team, DeKoning was scarily cool and good, and I loved the CS tactic of putting Stanley in defence at times when Blicavs rucked.-
  • Neale- another perfect masterful coaching display- although Neale had many possessions, he was always hassled by the rotation of our stoppers on him.

It's a beautiful prospect of studying our next opposition, and watching them maul each other.

I'm rapt that this GF will hopefully see our Guthrie brothers be the successful brothers next week. Will it be against the McCartin brothers or the Daicos brothers?

Possibly the best song ever.

Who wins our most improved?
Zac Guthrie? He has exceeeded my hopes for him. Being a Guthrie, I knew he was quality, but he looks as assured and potent as Stewart.
Tom Atkins? His excellent pressure acts, tackling and RESILIENCE has been one of the many bright lights, and also the reason Parfitt can't get a game.
Sam De Koning? Had no idea last year this kid was as good as he is . A beautiful revelation.

Must add, after reminded by Fred,

Max Holmes. Great to have another Maxy, and another super winger with #9. He is a an absolute gun

Close, Stengle, we are blessed.

Last edited:

Genuine question - did you find out the result as it happened?

If it was him, not Evans, (the Geelong small forward) that Port were after - I’d be asking for a Rd 1 pick.

He’s elite with some of things he does. And his distribution is going to help our forwards for the next 10 years.

For all those who wanted him to he harder - he’s as tough as he needs to be. Very happy the coaches backed him in. He’s clearly a very teachable young player.
That interview with him I posted yesterday says a lot about him I reckon.

Genuine question - did you find out the result as it happened?
Impossible to not watch it live.
Got home from work at 845pm and my wife said "you're missing something good here".
Watched the second half live, and then the whole match again twice. I have seen every morsel of play.
Nobody will mention the deft Cam Guthrie tap-ons and link work he does, but they were on display last night as well.
Difficult to sleep even after going to bed after 0200 saturated by footy- spent the night before watching the 07, and 11 GF highlights.
I don't want to put the moz on us, but we really are a great combo of 07 and 11 the way we moved the ball yesterday, and scored, while stopping Lions from scoring.

Who wins our most improved?
Zac Guthrie? He has exceeeded my hopes for him. Being a Guthrie, I knew he was quality, but he looks as assured and potent as Stewart.
Tom Atkins? His excellent pressure acts, tackling and RESILIENCE has been one of the many bright lights, and also the reason Parfitt can't get a game.
Sam De Koning? Had no idea last year this kid was as good as he is . A beautiful revelation.
Holmes, easily

I am conflicted with Holmes, professionally (working as a physio) I know that you can pick the difference between neural and muscle pretty accurately as there are quite a few tests to bias which one it is, but I have never had one of my footballers pull up like he did from a neural hamstring. Praying for a good outcome for the kid but I somehow doubt it.
I really hope with Holmes, if he isn't right, I hope he pus his hand up nd says I'm not going to be right to play ( which I think he will ) as its not like a ankle or knee or a shoulder where a injection can help at a joint related injury, but a muscle and a injection is not as effective

Impossible to not watch it live.
Got home from work at 845pm and my wife said "you're missing something good here".
Watched the second half live, and then the whole match again twice. I have seen every morsel of play.
Nobody will mention the deft Cam Guthrie tap-ons and link work he does, but they were on display last night as well.
Difficult to sleep even after going to bed after 0200 saturated by footy- spent the night before watching the 07, and 11 GF highlights.
I don't want to put the moz on us, but we really are a great combo of 07 and 11 the way we moved the ball yesterday, and scored, while stopping Lions from scoring.
I agree with Cam and last night Blicavs was back to his absolute best with that stuff too. Oh and Tuohy. He was everywhere.

But the man that comes to mind in that area who I've never seen anyone bring up is Mitch Duncan, in this defensive winger/attacking half back flanker role. He's been great at getting the tap on or the forward handball, or even a spoil/defensive effort to launch our momentum. Lots of unheralded but fully committed and effective work. His late career finals have been heart and soul, much better than during his peak years in fact.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back