Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with Cam and last night Blicavs was back to his absolute best with that stuff too. Oh and Tuohy. He was everywhere.

But the man that comes to mind in that area who I've never seen anyone bring up is Mitch Duncan, in this defensive winger/attacking half back flanker role. He's been great at getting the tap on or the forward handball, or even a spoil/defensive effort to launch our momentum. Lots of unheralded but fully committed and effective work. His late career finals have been heart and soul, much better than during his peak years in fact.
Agreed- but a few have mentioned Duncan throughout, from what I've read.

Who wins our most improved?
Zac Guthrie? He has exceeeded my hopes for him. Being a Guthrie, I knew he was quality, but he looks as assured and potent as Stewart.
Tom Atkins? His excellent pressure acts, tackling and RESILIENCE has been one of the many bright lights, and also the reason Parfitt can't get a game.
Sam De Koning? Had no idea last year this kid was as good as he is . A beautiful revelation.
And add Holmes to the question.

Impossible to not watch it live.
Got home from work at 845pm and my wife said "you're missing something good here".
Watched the second half live, and then the whole match again twice. I have seen every morsel of play.
Nobody will mention the deft Cam Guthrie tap-ons and link work he does, but they were on display last night as well.
Difficult to sleep even after going to bed after 0200 saturated by footy- spent the night before watching the 07, and 11 GF highlights.
I don't want to put the moz on us, but we really are a great combo of 07 and 11 the way we moved the ball yesterday, and scored, while stopping Lions from scoring.

Cam was great... and Zac Guthrie. Few (none?) pre-season would have had his name as one that gives confidence when its in the 22.

The defence was fantastic. On occasion we've had Stewart, Kolo, SDK etc holding back the dam. But when on this season, the defence happens at every point in the field and they're simply mopping up, as opposed to desperately preventing.

A very under-rated part of this team is how much fun they're having out there. I think that's important - you play with more freedom, and there's always a risk when you are so focused on purely having success, you forget to enjoy it when it happens. More like a relief than a celebration.

Similar to how Naomi Osaka felt during her struggles.

Important for us fans to remember that as well... it shouldn't be such a burden that we forget to enjoy it ultimately.

And this team is definitely one to enjoy!

What are your views on Holmes? Is a high cramp or spasm possible, given no ice and no limp post-game? One that could be released without any fear of further damage?

I imagine he is more unlikely than likely, but maybe it felt like a worse injury than it was at the time.

Speaking of most improved, Holmes would be mine. He looked utterly lost in his first 10 or so games, now he is absolutely integral.

I’ll put my hand up best game I’ve seen him play, having said that a pressure GF might be something else altogether but this will have given him a lot of confidence.

Have a feeling Holmes will get up. If not Parfitt comes in at the coalface fresh and is a tackling machine.

Hoping they smash into each other this afternoon.

Ball movement was next level last night at times, and the fact our bottom end Stanley, Zuthrie, Kolo had cracking games gives me plenty of hope for next week.
I get the feeling that the Cats deviated from their zen in week 1. They didn’t treat it as a ‘moment’, they all had a lot of pressure. In the end, our system and a few players really dug in and we got going.

I think that they got to their right headspace this week. And then they treated Brisbane the same way they treated WC and GC. As an inferior team. Next week will be cracking, but I also think with this mindset, they will dismember whoever they play against.

Cam was great... and Zac Guthrie. Few (none?) pre-season would have had his name as one that gives confidence when its in the 22.

The defence was fantastic. On occasion we've had Stewart, Kolo, SDK etc holding back the dam. But when on this season, the defence happens at every point in the field and they're simply mopping up, as opposed to desperately preventing.

A very under-rated part of this team is how much fun they're having out there. I think that's important - you play with more freedom, and there's always a risk when you are so focused on purely having success, you forget to enjoy it when it happens. More like a relief than a celebration.

Similar to how Naomi Osaka felt during her struggles.

Important for us fans to remember that as well... it shouldn't be such a burden that we forget to enjoy it ultimately.

And this team is definitely one to enjoy!

What are your views on Holmes? Is a high cramp or spasm possible, given no ice and no limp post-game? One that could be released without any fear of further damage?

I imagine he is more unlikely than likely, but maybe it felt like a worse injury than it was at the time.

Speaking of most improved, Holmes would be mine. He looked utterly lost in his first 10 or so games, now he is absolutely integral.
I added Holmes to that list, can't believe he wasn't on it. Must be the disappointment of watching him go off, then the lack of sleep.
But CS said, and gave tribute to Steve Saunders I believe, that he may be right to play, that it may be a neural/hip related thing. Time will tell. He must be 100% though. Absolutely can not play a player with potential hammy, but this medical team is utterly professional and excellent, as we have seen all year, and the correct decision will be made

Last edited:
I added Holmes to that list, can't believe he wasn't on it. Must be the disappointment of watching him go off, then the lack of sleep.
But CS said, and gave tribute to Steve Saunders I believe, that he may be right to play, that it may be a neural/hip related thing. Time will tell. He must be 100% though. Absolutely can not play a player with ptential hammy, but this medical team is utterly professional and excellent, as we have seen all year, and the correct decision will be made

Yeah, by the time I'd written my reply to you and hit 'go' on it, Holmes had been covered multiple times 🤣

Anyone heard from Cats Collector?
That loser is probably on the Collingwood board still trying to give them advice on how to beat Sydney and then Geelong.

Bluntly, if you’re a turncoat, or a enemy sympathiser or just pot players and coaches - then you’re a traitor in my book and don’t deserve to celebrate the wins with those who truly love and support this club.

And add Holmes to the question.
I did. He was on my mind for many reasons, then inexplicably ended the post.
I think he wins it
Yeah, by the time I'd written my reply to you and hit 'go' on it, Holmes had been covered multiple times 🤣
Miers and Close are also very influential and improved players. Our bottom 6 is no longer a liability.
Stengle as well, although had bever seen him.
But that injection of youth has been the turnaround.

That loser is probably on the Collingwood board still trying to give them advice on how to beat Sydney and then Geelong.

Bluntly, if you’re a turncoat, or a enemy sympathiser or just pot players and coaches - then you’re a traitor in my book and don’t deserve to celebrate the wins with those who truly love and support this club.

Quislings or in AFL terms Justin Murphies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed- but a few have mentioned Duncan throughout, from what I've read.
Actually just one person in the entire 15 pages besides myself, Generalissimo to comment that on a second watch he noticed Duncan a lot more.

He was more or less unheralded last final Vs Pies too. I'm sure it doesn't bother him, but I find it noteworthy given I've been a critic of his finals performances pre 2020. One of many veterans stepping up as if their lives depend on it. And his new role at half back is undoubtedly helping our newfound exciting ball movement from defence.

He already is one of the top wingmen in the competition

He is and long term he will probably be the best of our young players he will be elite but the role sdk is playing is much harder than the role any of our other younger players have been playing and hes absolutely dominating (destroyed daniher last night). For him to do it in his first afl year as the main key defender is absolutely outstanding for mine. Take nothing away from holmes, or stengle or zuthrie for that matter.

Actually just one person in the entire 15 pages besides myself, Generalissimo to comment that on a second watch he noticed Duncan a lot more.

He was more or less unheralded last final Vs Pies too. I'm sure it doesn't bother him, but I find it noteworthy given I've been a critic of his finals performances pre 2020. One of many veterans stepping up as if their lives depend on it. And his new role at half back is undoubtedly helping our newfound exciting ball movement from defence.
Ok, I may have just heard good things on the commentary all night. Agree with you though, his new role is very beneficial.

Quislings or in AFL terms Justin Murphies
Norm Macdonald GIF

He is and long term he will probably be the best of our young players he will be elite but the role sdk is playing is much harder than the role any of our other younger players have been playing and hes absolutely dominating (destroyed daniher last night). For him to do it in his first afl year as the main key defender is absolutely outstanding for mine. Take nothing away from holmes, or stengle or zuthrie for that matter.
Holmes is officially rated the best wingman in the AFL over the last 2 months.
He has now become a match-winner, crucial to our attacking system.

Zac Guthrie? He has exceeeded my hopes for him. Being a Guthrie, I knew he was quality, but he looks as assured and potent as Stewart.
Tom Atkins ? His excellent pressure acts, tackling and RESILIENCE has been one of the many bright lights, and also the reason Parfitt can't get a game.
Sam De Koning? Had no idea last year this kid was as good as he is . A beautiful revelation.

Must add, after reminded by Fred,

Max Holmes. Great to have another Maxy, and another super winger with #9. He is a an absolute gun
Where's Close?

He is pushing elite with the role he plays.

Where's Close?

He is pushing elite with the role he plays.
I did. He was on my mind for many reasons, then inexplicably ended the post.
I think he wins it

Miers and Close are also very influential and improved players. Our bottom 6 is no longer a liability.
Stengle as well, although had bever seen him.
But that injection of youth has been the turnaround.
So we have a great group of improved young guns- who wins it?

Tom Atkins? His excellent pressure acts, tackling and RESILIENCE has been one of the many bright lights, and also the reason Parfitt can't get a game.

Must add, after reminded by Fred,

Max Holmes. Great to have another Maxy, and another super winger with #9. He is a an absolute gun

DeKoning for mine. A bloke who had only played 1 or 2 games before the start of the season ended up cementing his spot at full back, was firmly in discussions for a spot in the AA squad at least and pushed out a 2x Carji Greeves medalist in the process. Phenomenal.

Just reported on SEN Crunchtime that rumors of Menegola being a disgruntled player were untrue. Apparently, he had gastro last week, so he trained indoors and kept away from the group. He was still named as an emergency, so yesterday, he drove to the MCG and sat in his car in the carpark (to keep away from the group) until it was clear he wouldn't be called up, then drove home. What a clubman.

I'm not at all 100% certain of this, but from a little experience of icing injuries I believe ice basically assist short terms inflammation, but may delay full recovery from a very minor injury. If you're out 4 weeks no matter what, ice it. If you may be available the next week, don't ice it.

So I think the lack of ice indicates it isn't a terrible injury, there is a chance he could play next week, and its better to keep the tight muscle loose (ice would tighten it up) to try have it right for next week, as opposed to icing it which would basically rule him out from playing next week regardless.

I think if it was round 14, it would have been iced.

Icing a slight hamstring isn't going to make a difference to long term prognosis, so err on the side of may be available next week and not ice it.

Happy to be corrected, I'm not a physio or in the medical field at all.
The purpose of ice applied is if there is a situation of suspected tissue tearing.. example hamstring tear. Because when the tissue gets torn as you mentioned you get that bleeding and the body’s natural inflammation process kicks in over the first 48-72 hours which is the period your supposed to ice it on and off for. It is simply to stop excessive swelling but not to stop the swelling all together as inflammation is a good thing.

The reason they didn’t ice holmes is because they are confident it is a minor case of sciatic tension that got a bit aggravated. For neural issues you do not put ice or heat on generally as a rule of thumb for two reasons as a) it does nothing for the recovery as there is no inflammation, and b) it can limit feedback and be dangerous if there is reduced neural feedback as the patient cannot accurately report if it is too cold or too hot and damaging the skin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back