Review Cats defeat Lions by 71 points to make 2022 GRAND FINAL

Remove this Banner Ad

I dips me lid to many I have questioned at times over the journey - Scott, Kolo, Mieirs, Zuthrie and at times even Hawkins and Blicavs. Having said that, Zuthrie converted me very early this season; at times he's almost Stewart-like.

Kolo and Mieirs arguably played their best games for the club.

Cameron and Smith were quiet by their standards but we still romped home. Stanley was much better than he was v the Pies.

And as for Danger, he played a great finals game from go to woe and full credit to him.

I love Holmes and hopes he gets up as we have no-one who can do what he does - Ollie Dempsey would the closest - great tank and quick - but obviously they won't play him, so it's Parfitt or Mena.

Honestly doesn't feel real, game didn't feel like a prelim, the team effort we did on Neale absolutely smothered him, killed him in the aggregate.

No ice on Holmes is either it is over for him or there is no issue. He is just super important.
Yep. That’s the style isn’t it. One star 10/10 midfielder player isn’t going to cut it against 5 very good midfielders that are 7/10-8/10.

Brisbane learned a lesson that we learned a few years back with Danger trying this heart out but not being able to carry a team on his own.

Just watched the replay ... again after being at the ground.. just wanted to confirm my thoughts.

Im very happy for us to be playing a much risker finals sustainable style. Finals footy is checkers not chess most of the time. Get it forward. mistakes have to be made... or you are not playing the right style.

The one thing id say now is this years of playing chess footy means that we can back that way for a minute or two natural if we have to.... but players like Kol or Stanley are happier to just kick it... instead being fried mentally about retention. The one goal we got when Stanley kicked ...Selwood against 3 Bris player ..down the middle.... I doubt that would have been done in the past ..and if it ...there would be a censure.

Hawkins and Cameron rested thru the week...fit?

Hawkins .... seemed miss the first one which was unfortunate... then he started dropping the ball poorly .. but watching the replay... they mentioned something Bartel said on 7 ...would have like to listen to that... but Hawk knows his game very well. found a way to kick straight. Thats the difference now between him and ten years ago. IF he 100%... maybe the lack of games has hurt him a bit. He likes playing so much..he never rests... and did not practice thru the week.

IF geelong are taking marks especially intercept marks... then any side should be hitting the alert button. Kolo ... is definitely at his best when he has a game when he marks. It changes his game ..his confidence level goes thru the roof.

Well done Danger... played so well early. Obvious he is never going to be best in leauge by foot but a bit like Kolo..when Danger starts to marks I feel he is on. The second goal was classic Danger.

Zac Guthrie well done..what a story of persistence... has now moved beyond being fringe now. There is no doubt he is playing if fit etc.

Good second final by Stengle ...as it was for most..one could see getting over last week just reliease the pressure. I have said for a long time this year it was about the first final... having won two finals ...this is the best our best position since 2011.

Joel Selwood has trimmed that fat. He is play his best finals for year... but is probably playing less minutes. It will be up to him if he goes again.

Big tick to Miers.. Called "FUNKY" by the caller on the broadcast...almost the perfect description ... his hit ups were very good.

The worry is Holmes... The kid has been so good. If he is out.. we miss him...and do not have someone like him

We all know all Geelong have done..is do what they have been expected to do.. Brisbane was either cooked or not up it. Daniher must be a disappointment to them. They will be better for adding a few FSons..and Rainer was as good as I had seen him early

Last edited:
12 months ago we were on the end of that beating and many here wanted to throw in the towel.

THANK YOU TO THE POWERS THAT BE THAT NEVER GAVE IN. 💙🤍💙🤍

Very impressed with culturally over the last 12 months how we have stood up and changed the gameplan and kept our culture.

Now we are there though we need to win it as who knows when our next GF chance will be. Must not do a 2020. Time to nail it.

We're on a mission.

I almost want Collingwood to beat Sydney tomorrow. The thought of crushing the Wobblers twice in the same finals series is delicious :shoutyoldman:
This is the attitude. Why be worried, this team shows that they are ruthless and hardened.

It’s the others that should be worried about us.

Watching the replay so don't mind my ramblings.

Q1:

-Patrick F'ing Dangerfield
-Holmes attack at the footy and creativity superb
-SDK intercept marking well early
-Tuohy several good contributions, he was well up for it compared to early against Pies
-Blicavs back to his AA form and elite pressure
-Pressure by the smalls such as Miers, Close and Stengle excellent. When they weren't catching players with tackles their heat still caused turnovers or dump kicks. And two of our goals were forward 50 tackles.
-Kolo out-Stewarted Stewart, who was still excellent himself.
-The in board kicks, especially the little switches from defensive 50, got our game going
-Neale got around 5 early touches but after that was really well blanketed with 4 players swapping to man him
-Selwood was everywhere and quite influential. Given he only ends up with 12 touches, he can't have many possessions left!
-Some players like Miers and Zuthrie made skill errors but it isn't deterring them
-Hipwood and C.Cameron not a touch between them.

Researchers believe that a person can live for up to three weeks without food as long as they have water to drink.

Your gonna make it bro - I'm surprised more people don't do it - obviously barring any work obligations. I guess they have a cleaning crew that clean up all the toilets etc - maybe they wouldn't say anything.
toilets have running water.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The best part of the game was Brisbane came in thinking they had a real shot at beating us. The media was talking up Brisbane all week as being on a wave ala Bulldogs 2016 and how would Geelong cope with only one game in 26 days. The Cats have a poor record with this.

Then BAM!

The Geelong machine rolls out.

Brisbane doesn't just run into a wall, it smashes them.

I can't wait to see how the media try to spin against Geelong this week.

I actually really like the fact that we're all struggling to say who'll play well and take the game by the scruff. In the past if Hawk/Danger didn't play well, we lose. Now we have blokes like Holmes, Stengle, Close, SDK, Atkins stepping up and filling that void when things don't go as planned for our guns.

The difference? Teams put work into the regulars and then someone else gets off the chain. This is why the 2007-2011 team used to just belt everybody. You couldn't curtail an entire team of superstars.

Wow, what a win! I did not expect us to thump the Lions like that. We were on fire in virtually all facets of the game. Amazingly if we kicked straight you could easily add another 4-5 goals on top of that huge margin!

Dangerfield was in vintage form again and the smalls like Miers, Close and Stengle were just electric. Joel was massive again in the middle too. What a warrior now about to play in a record 40th final!. Watching Hawkins monster Andrews a few times was marvellous, unlucky not to kick a bag full. Our older guys continue to thumb their noses at old father time still performing at such a high level.

What about the backline as well , just repeatedly repelling every Lions attack, it was incredible to watch. Fantastic team effort across the board really.

They seem fairly upbeat about Holmes after the game so possibly a temporary cramp/ trapped nerve type reaction rather than a hammy strain. Cant believe we are into another grand final and in the best form in a looong time. Bring on Collingwood or Sydney! Go the mighty Cattas!!

Last edited:
I’m still raging at the music between goals. The music at other times is annoying and often corny, but for those not there they actually played Tom Jones’ version of ‘what’s new pussy cat’ after a goal of ours and right up to the next bounce. Super-loud and with fireworks. That’s actually what happened!

I like loud music away from footy, and heavy music too, but for the love of god, allah, and all the rest of them fellas, get it out of the game.

I did not think it was a 50/50 game Brisbane beat 2 average sides, we have been the best side most of the year, was olny upset by our bad kicking for goal early
Same mate... Just a tad bit of sarcasm from me.

I expected to win and win easily.

Just was shocked at the people here swearing it was a 50/50 match when we were clearly a much better side.

I guess the fear of losing can create much doubt in people's minds... But when you looked at all the factors, this was an easy one for us.

Who were the people questioning Danger's position in the side prefinal?

Don't be shy... Pop your hands up. Crazy to even consider leaving Dangerfield out of the side if ready to play.

I'll admit that I said Miers looked "not up to finals" at 1/4 time... and he really played out of his skin after that.
I did see in a write-up that he was spending time on Rich, who really is one of the worst defenders in the game, so maybe that helped him get of the chain a tad more than normal... Still, was fire after 1/4 time and credit to him.

Kolo proved his worth to the side... A fit Kolo will always be picked... Same as Rohan.

Hoping for a miracle for Holmes... The kid has just "got it".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back