2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
1665740025525.png

Witts v Reeves at the same age, pulling well ahead whilst having significantly less time on ground. Think Witt's is probably the best comparison stylistically for Reeves.

The next year, Witts' exploded and had a break out season for the Gold Coast. Hoping Reeves can do the same.

View attachment 1536455

Witts v Reeves at the same age, pulling well ahead whilst having significantly less time on ground. Think Witt's is probably the best comparison stylistically for Reeves.

The next year, Witts' exploded and had a break out season for the Gold Coast. Hoping Reeves can do the same.
Sample size of 2 games plus the 3rd man up rule being changed. Might explain some of the stats.

Reeves is definitely primed for a big year if he can get some continuity with his body.

Very important for him to build a strong connection with our mids.

With 48 hours to let the dust settle, I’m still miffed at best with our eventual approach to the trade period.

Gunston was out of contract and out of our hands, so whatever return we got was a bonus.

But trading both Mitchell and O’Meara should have resulted in a significantly improved draft hand this year IMO - instead we find ourselves with 2 picks inside the first 40.

At least one of Meek and Stephens had better turn out to be a diamond in the rough, otherwise bringing Amon in at this stage makes zero sense.
GWS probably don't use pick 31, have an academy player Rowston I think. We could give you 31 2023r3 for 52, the 2023r2 from the omeara trade.

Can't help wondering how shaken up the remaining players will be by all the changes? 10 players out, 3 in. They've not only lost mentors but also mates. Far more than normal. They've basically lost the entire leadership group from last year in McEvoy, O'Meara, Gunston, Shiels, Mitchell, apart from Worpel. Many of them holidaying together in Europe. Flattening the leadership structure this year will have helped but I'm sure it's going to feel a bit weird at first.

I keep hearing, with loss of Omeara and Mitchell, we’ll be lucky to win 6 games. Pretty sure that with them last season, we were told the same thing.
Then, apparently our midfield will get beaten comfortably now as we have no experience…..it got smacked regularly with our senior mids!

Whilst it’s obviously a worry to lose all that experience, we have a midfield group that will be able to grow together, learn together. I’m excited for that

Can't help wondering how shaken up the remaining players will be by all the changes? 10 players out, 3 in. They've not only lost mentors but also mates. Far more than normal. They've basically lost the entire leadership group from last year in McEvoy, O'Meara, Gunston, Shiels, Mitchell, apart from Worpel. Many of them holidaying together in Europe. Flattening the leadership structure this year will have helped but I'm sure it's going to feel a bit weird at first.
They’ve bought into their own future and the strategy to win them a flag.

They’d have little worry about anything other than “what are we going to do keep improving, and how are we going to do it”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’ve bought into their own future and the strategy to win them a flag.

They’d have little worry about anything other than “what are we going to do keep improving, and how are we going to do it”.
That's probably true. I'm sure it will be the case a week or two into preseason.

That's probably true. I'm sure it will be the case a week or two into preseason.
I’ve heard of one of our more senior players talking this way even before the trades went through. They understand how the list build strategy works, and that some players will leave, it’s not new to them.

Remember when our trading away Lewis and Mitchell for late picks was going to cause an exodus of players and never did. Players aren’t idiots - they understand the reality of the industry.

GWS probably don't use pick 31, have an academy player Rowston I think. We could give you 31 2023r3 for 52, the 2023r2 from the omeara trade.
We could probably grab 35 from Brisbane without using future picks. Plus I doubt we wouldn’t want to give away any future picks at this stage

Last edited:
Remember when our trading away Lewis and Mitchell for late picks was going to cause an exodus of players and never did. Players aren’t idiots - they understand the reality of the industry.
Yes. Got a bit sentimental there for a minute. In most workplaces if you keep your job you tend to just get on with it.

I’m not sure whether I’ve ever read a better message from a coach to members, than Sam Mitchell’s message today.
Intelligent, rational and, above all, insightful and totally focussed on our ultimate objective - a message that is crystal clear and full of confidence.

It‘s easy to see why he has the players backing him 150%.
fantastic letter from Sam

After pick 30 its crapshoot. I’d prefer Sam to back in Mackenzie pick the eyes out of the draft and keep the picks. With our4th rounders take Scully and Lemmey, odds are one of them will be good?
Kobe Ryan and Binns other two I want late. Phillipou is gonna be too tantalising to pass up at pick 7. If he comes off, then Add Reid next year Wowee

GWS probably don't use pick 31, have an academy player Rowston I think. We could give you 31 2023r3 for 52, the 2023r2 from the omeara tIf it’s well known you won’t use it that’s a major overreach. We will give you a f4 fir it. Alternatively what happens if you delist Haynes and we pick him up as a DFA and pay him $2m on a 2 year contract? May
After pick 30 its crapshoot. I’d prefer Sam to back in Mackenzie pick the eyes out of the draft and keep the picks. With our4th rounders take Scully and Lemmey, odds are one of them will be good?
Kobe Ryan and Binns other two I want late. Phillipou is gonna be too tantalising to pass up at pick 7. If he comes off, then Add Reid next year Wowee
Agree like schuback and long as 40s picks too. We don’t need another solid mid which is how I view Mackenzie and Clark we need game changers and that’s mid forwards like philippou or Humphrey otherwise trade back for 2 of hollands hotton hewett

Harry Rowston is going to be a great pick up. Good kid too.

The F2 we got from Freo is going to be pivotal in a much better outcome for us next year IMO. Packaged with our own second to get inside the low teens, would give us a pick in the top 4 (assuming we finish bottom 4), a pick in the low teens, and then our FS. Big tick.

Remember when trading away Croad and McPharlin was going to destroy the fabric of the club? People with pitchforks were almost to a Richmond peak of anger and despair. I’m not sure who won that trade. I mean, we only picked up our next two premiership captains with draft picks 1 and 36. A couple of year’s later, we even welcomed Croad back to the side. Things are rarely as shocking as portrayed by the soooo intelligent footy press or our own fickle emotions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back