2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw on reddit someone claiming that Sydney have enquired about a deal for pick 6 (pick 6 for 14, 17, F1).
Given how shallow this draft is I'm not sure I'm against it, but I'm also unsure as to whether or not the 2022 pool is deep enough.
That being said, the temptation and value of going into the 2023 draft pool with two firsts and two seconds does sound really tempting- especially if we can then nab George/Jefferson and Jones in the first round.

You do that every day of the week.

I saw on reddit someone claiming that Sydney have enquired about a deal for pick 6 (pick 6 for 14, 17, F1).
Given how shallow this draft is I'm not sure I'm against it, but I'm also unsure as to whether or not the 2022 pool is deep enough.
That being said, the temptation and value of going into the 2023 draft pool with two firsts and two seconds does sound really tempting- especially if we can then nab George/Jefferson and Jones in the first round.

I wonder who they have in mind

I’d happily do that. Odds are we’d get way more value out of those 3 picks than pick 6.

I'm still not doing that deal. They could be top 2 next year, so that pick ends up being around 18.

We need top end talent. Not blokes like Clarke and Hotton. We need your Tsatas/ Phillipou types that could be there at 6.

I'm still not doing that deal. They could be top 2 next year, so that pick ends up being around 18.

We need top end talent. Not blokes like Clarke and Hotton. We need your Tsatas/ Phillipou types that could be there at 6.

Doesn't matter if it's pick 18, the result would be two first round selections for us in a strong draft next year.

The Swans want Humphrey. Will be interested to see if they come hard on the night if he's on the board at our first pick.

However, if we're sending back 24 in this hypothetical I'm not super keen.

3 selections between 14 and 24 plus 2 first rounders next season is pretty huge influx of talent.

Yeah we still need a top mid and a top tall. This year and next should do that if we retain pick 6 and next years first. I wish people would stop thinking that a top 5 pick is equal to pick 17 + pick 18 + pick 19.

C'mon TD, you'd do that deal every day of the week. Teams that get flogged in the Grand Final have a strong recent history of struggling to rebound the following year and you'd be getting 3 bites for the price of 1.

C'mon TD, you'd do that deal every day of the week. Teams that get flogged in the Grand Final have a strong recent history of struggling to rebound the following year and you'd be getting 3 bites for the price of 1.
I'm with TD. Three bites of a pork chop is not as good as one bite of a rib-eye.

Our list lacks top end talent.
DGB was our first top 10 pick since 2006. And it shows.
The odds diminish rapidly, once you're out of the top 5/6, of finding a 200 gamer.

If anything I'm trading our 24 and F2, for something else in this first rd.

Our list lacks top end talent.
DGB was our first top 10 pick since 2006. And it shows.
The odds diminish rapidly, once you're out of the top 5/6, of finding a 200 gamer.

If anything I'm trading our 24 and F2, for something else in this first rd.
It depends on the draft, and the odds don't diminish rapidly - in fact it's pretty steady from 7 through the teens. You can have a look if you want, the info is pretty readily available.

If you're outside of the top 5 you might as well take the opportunity to break it up into multiple firsts, particularly if there's a chance to get 3 for one.

Last edited:
Oh right, his success makes the criticism unwarranted eh?

To me the success makes the criticism even more accurate, he made a decision to leave with plenty in the tank knowing that we wouldn't get fair compensation and that he was leaving the club in a position with 0 proven outside players and a shrinking leadership group. He won a Norm Smith, good on him but it's not going to make me love his decision to leave.
I agree with you in that I hated his decision leave which was compounded even further that he went to the Handbaggers. As much as I hate his decision I will never openly bag him on a forum / social media. He was definitely one of the veterans that we needed to keep for this long rebuild as was Gunston but what done is done and we move forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would bite their arm off for that deal. No chance it happens.

We’d be negligent not to take it, to be honest.

Turning 1 first round pick into 3? Swans would be mad to do it, by the way. No way that’s real.

Yeah we still need a top mid and a top tall. This year and next should do that if we retain pick 6 and next years first. I wish people would stop thinking that a top 5 pick is equal to pick 17 + pick 18 + pick 19.
Disagree strongly. The trade is all about the future 1. We will have a top four pick next year in all likelihood but I have seen early mocks where Koltyn Tholstrup is available at pick 10 next year. I watched that kid and he is a freak. Next year obviously runs very deep. With a future 1 we can also be in play for pick 1 by packaging up our picks.

Harley Davidson Motion GIF by RDI Technologies

Vroom vroom

Teams who get absolutely pantsed in grand finals can have off years the next. Port finished 13th, GWS finished 10th, Adelaide 12th and this year the Dogs scraped into 8th due to last round results and looked out of it most of the year. There’s exceptions to this of course - but the way Sydney were just destroyed I wouldn’t be shocked if they have a down year and finish mid table. I’d do the deal.

I had floated 6 for 14,17,42 to facilitate getting both 22 and 36’from dons and lions. if that’s what they are offering we simply have to take it as someone else said negligent if we don’t. we need lot of talent right now in the early stages of our rebuild, not 1 high pick. that high pick can be next year and also free agency as we improve and become more attractive

Last edited:
I'd happily live trade for 14 + 17 on the night if no player the club wanted is still available when it's our selection. Adding their future first, even if it's pick 18 would be huge if next year's draft is as strong as rumoured.

There's been some decent players spoken about in that mid-first to early-second round this year.

We’d be negligent not to take it, to be honest.

Turning 1 first round pick into 3? Swans would be mad to do it, by the way. No way that’s real.
Only way I can see Sydney even wanting to do that is if they are tight on list spots and really rate someone as a top pick this year.

They have a pretty young and settled team so they can afford to take a risk.

But still I can’t imagine them offering that deal without at least something going along with pick 6.

Only way I can see Sydney even wanting to do that is if they are tight on list spots and really rate someone as a top pick this year.

They have a pretty young and settled team so they can afford to take a risk.

But still I can’t imagine them offering that deal without at least something going along with pick 6.
I doubt the AFL with it’s emphasis on strict and transparent governance would allow such a lopsided trade to go through either…well unless we added DGB and got a future fourth in return.

Disagree strongly. The trade is all about the future 1. We will have a top four pick next year in all likelihood but I have seen early mocks where Koltyn Tholstrup is available at pick 10 next year. I watched that kid and he is a freak. Next year obviously runs very deep. With a future 1 we can also be in play for pick 1 by packaging up our picks.

Harley Davidson Motion GIF by RDI Technologies

Vroom vroom
The Swans pick will likely be very late teens. I agree there are opportunities there. But that was not in my post, was it. The response was in reply to the ludicrous view that our pick 6 for three late R1 picks in a shallow draft is good value - the 3 bites vs 1 bite. I don't necessarily share your view that we should trade out this year's pick for 3 bites in a shallow draft and a very late pick next year. Essentially giving away a very good pick this year for a few long shots and a hope that someone good will be left at late teens next year. And to trade up to pick 1 next year may or may not be worthwhile. Things change in 12 months.

And yes, keep the motor running.

The Swans pick will likely be very late teens. I agree there are opportunities there. But that was not in my post, was it. The response was in reply to the ludicrous view that our pick 6 for three late R1 picks in a shallow draft is good value - the 3 bites vs 1 bite. I don't necessarily share your view that we should trade out this year's pick for 3 bites in a shallow draft and a very late pick next year. Essentially giving away a very good pick this year for a few long shots and a hope that someone good will be left at late teens next year. And to trade up to pick 1 next year may or may not be worthwhile. Things change in 12 months.

And yes, keep the motor running.
It's not 3 bites in a shallow draft. It's 2 this draft and one in an apparently stronger draft next season, plus I'm not sure the odds of them making a grand final again are that high after such a massive loss. We're probably more likely to end up with a pick between 12 and 16 than 17 or 18 and they're still valuable. Sydney would have to be crazy to offer it and we'd have to be even crazier not to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back