Analysis Would the stand rule still have been introduced if Geelong had won the 2020 premiership?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be interested in hearing what those Geelong supporters think about that, but this is not the thread. I know the rule was brought in after 2016 and that's about it.

Re - the 3rd man up - and im not saying whether the rule is right or wrong

But Geel were experts at it - Joel Corey was the 1st one to do it ( way before Blicavs ) and way before any other opposition teams had cotttoned onto it - Corey who was about 6 ft 3 inc - onballer - how many times as the 3rd man up - hed just jump and smash it 20 metres Geelongs way - it was such an advantage

But Geel were experts at it - Joel Corey was the 1st one to do it ( way before Blicavs ) and way before any other opposition teams had cotttoned onto it - Corey who was about 6 ft 3 inc - onballer - how many times as the 3rd man up - hed just jump and smash it 20 metres Geelongs way - it was such an advantage
I just read an article about it and they called banning the 3rd man up "radical," can you believe that? I wonder, was it ever done before Corey did it, you'd think it would have to of been if it was a "radical" change?

I wonder what we'd call the statue on the mark rule if banning the 3rd man up was "radical"?

In 2010 Collingwood smashed the Cats in the PF. Bomber Thompson's game plan was found wanting, and 'experts' like Tim Lane declared the Cats were too old and too slow. Yet the game plan was adapted and in 2011 the only side to beat Collingwood was Geelong - 3 times!

What's my point? A good team continues to evolve and adapt to changing conditions (rules, new game plans by contenders etc).

So the stand rule posed a serious threat to Richmond. Get over it! The 3rd man up rule impacted on Geelong big-time. Some Cats supporters felt the rule was aimed at Mark Blicavs, because he was the master at 3rd man up. But the Club moved on...

How many flags did Cats win with Blicavs mastering the 3rd man up role? 🤨

Is there any truth to the rumours that the 6 Richmond defenders who watched Daniher end their season were all told “stand” and just blindly complied?

No wonder their fans hate this rule.

To answer one try to hard to be funny far fetched post with another...

GWS made them do it so we could afford Taranto. Otherwise Cats looking for new coach, which itself would be no good for Tigers who rely on the freebie finals wins to win all our recent flags. So 2 reasons for Lynch to pretend he kicked a point and Richmond players to shepherd Daniher to a goal.

To answer one try to hard to be funny far fetched post with another...

GWS made them do it so we could afford Taranto. Otherwise Cats looking for new coach, which itself would be no good for Tigers who rely on the freebie finals wins to win all our recent flags. So 2 reasons for Lynch to pretend he kicked a point and Richmond players to shepherd Daniher to a goal.

We don’t get both players if we went further in finals. Probably would’ve had to give up a player at best. Dunno why everybody thinks Richmond supporters are still salty about the arc ruling. We weren’t winning it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Matters SFA. I’m talking about adaptability, having a Plan B. Do you comprehend?

How can anyone be expected to comprehend hogwash like that? There is nothing to say Richmond are not as adaptable as any other club. Last year Richmond were the highest scoring team on average and their worst result after round 6 was a 6 point loss to a Grand Finalist interstate away and this was without a viable midfield. Start making sense Sttew because at the moment, like your name suggests, you are cooked.

You know most seasons Joel Corey averaged less than one hit-out per game? And never more than 1.5 hit-outs per game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey Stew - there are 3 certainties - no lets make it 4 certainties in Life

Geelong winning Premierships - Death - Taxes - And Richmond Nutters - ha -ha-ha
Make it 5, Geelong being responsible for another stupid looking rule change when they need help winning a flag after many finals appearances without one.

So these are the two stupid looking rules Geelong are responsible for,

Two "ruckmen" having to put their hands up like a couple o' school children to let the umpire know that they will be contesting the "ruck" contest lol!

And the statue on the mark rule brought in to prompt/assist Geelong in moving the ball quicker Richmond style, prompting Richmond to come up with a "plan B" because Geelong's plans A, B, C & D was proof to the AFL that their plans E, F, G, H etc. would not of cut the mustard either.

Make it 5, Geelong being responsible for another stupid looking rule change when they need help winning a flag after many finals appearances without one.

Two "ruckmen" having to put their hands up like a couple o' school children to let the umpire know that they will be contesting the "ruck" contest lol!

And the statue on the mark rule brought in to prompt/assist Geelong in moving the ball quicker Richmond style, prompting Richmond to come up with a "plan B" because Geelong's plans A, B, C & D was proof to the AFL that their plans E, F, G, H etc. would not of cut the mustard either.

That post of yours - just totally utterly franks 1000% what i said

So you agree on the Tigger fans being nutters bit?

I just read an article about it and they called banning the 3rd man up "radical," can you believe that? I wonder, was it ever done before Corey did it, you'd think it would have to of been if it was a "radical" change?

I wonder what we'd call the statue on the mark rule if banning the 3rd man up was "radical"?

Can you explain what Richmond did before the 'stand' rule that was so game breaking?

Whatever it was, Geelong couldn’t adapt to the rules of the time so they had to have the rules changed. What we had there was a classic failure to adapt on the part of your club.
So finally you acknowledge Richmond has failed to adapt post stand rule. Took 5245 posts from you, but we got there

Can you explain what Richmond did before the 'stand' rule that was so game breaking?
I think Gerard Whateley sums it up best, if you could've did something to stop Richmond before the statue on the mark rule, you would've, you couldn't, so the statue on the mark rule was brought in to prompt/assist Geelong in moving the ball quicker where previously only Richmond could. You see the AFL knew that the way to put Richmond's defence under pressure was quicker ball movement and it was obvious to them that the other teams (Geelong in particular) needed some help in that area, because, again, if you could've moved it quicker without having to be prompted/assisted, you would've.

So finally you acknowledge Richmond has failed to adapt post stand rule. Took 5245 posts from you, but we got there

You guys didn't have to adapt post statue on the mark rule though because all it did for you is add something to your game that only Richmond could do before, that being, moving the ball quickly.

So the 2020 premiers had to improve their clearance game in 2021 because as we know the top 6 in 2021 were the top 6 clearance winning teams, while Geelong who always had a good clearance game (but were still beaten by Richmond in 3 finals) just had an ability added to their game.

The Geelong flag in 2022 is truly the company flag. I guess it would be nice to see the Geelong fans acknowledge the company's part in their flag rather than pretend they did it all by themselves, because that's just not true.

I think Gerard Whateley sums it up best, if you could've did something to stop Richmond before the statue on the mark rule, you would've, you couldn't, so the statue on the mark rule was brought in to prompt/assist Geelong in moving the ball quicker where previously only Richmond could. You see the AFL knew that the way to put Richmond's defence under pressure was quicker ball movement and it was obvious to them that the other teams (Geelong in particular) needed some help in that area, because, again, if you could've moved it quicker without having to be prompted/assisted, you would've.

You guys didn't have to adapt post statue on the mark rule though because all it did for you is add something to your game that only Richmond could do before, that being, moving the ball quickly.

So the 2020 premiers had to improve their clearance game in 2021 because as we know the top 6 in 2021 were the top 6 clearance winning teams, while Geelong who always had a good clearance game (but were still beaten by Richmond in 3 finals) just had an ability added to their game.

The Geelong flag in 2022 is truly the company flag. I guess it would be nice to see the Geelong fans acknowledge the company's part in their flag rather than pretend they did it all by themselves, because that's just not true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back