Test Rating members of the Oz Test Side v India

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you might be wasting your time with that one mate.
I feel as though I'm debating this guy.

2h3m2v.jpg

You asked what world do those scores deserve a rating of more than 5 and I gave you a "world".

This is the issue you seem to be ignoring or incapable of understanding. You can't pick and choose when to count scores and when not to when evaluating player performances.

Haha I just have a different way of judging a players overall series then you, I don't let a 180 on a road convince me to give Uzzy a 8+ like the others above, across the series he had 3 good innings, 4 fails of less then 10. 5 is fair imo.

Lab's someone stated above he averaged 40 across the series and gave him a 7.. the bloke got 1 fifty+ score?.. no way did Labs deserve a 7.

Warner - 1 passed it, was never going to do much more.
Ussie - 9 batted well throughout including a monster score in the final test.
Head - 5.5 showed some good intent, still obviously not the greatest player of spin but did well enough.
Renshaw - 2 poor showing, looked lost
Labs - 5 got out to a few poor balls, and generally didn’t keep his head down enough, still a pass.
Smith - 4 just looked a bit off all tour, did ok as stand in captain
Handscomb- 5.5 batted well in the first and second test, fielded very well.
Carey - 4 kept well for the series, had a poor time with the bat
Green - 7 great to see him get a ton, looked fantastic. Bowling was so so but he’ll learn
Cummins - 4 had other things on his mind, fair enough
Starc - 5.5 bowled decently and was ok with the bat
Lyon - 8.5 was overbowled at times but was excellent first test aside, got some handy runs too
Murphy - 8.5 looked like he’d played 100 tests, took wickets, kept it tight too.
Kuhnemann- 6.5 slotted in nicely, did his job and then some.
Scott Boland n/a only played one match, was hardly used, can’t really give him a rating on that.

Haha I just have a different way of judging a players overall series then you, I don't let a 180 on a road convince me to give Uzzy a 8+ like the others above, across the series he had 3 good innings, 4 fails of less then 10. 5 is fair imo.

Lab's someone stated above he averaged 40 across the series and gave him a 7.. the bloke got 1 fifty+ score?.. no way did Labs deserve a 7.
Yes, you clearly do have a different way. That's for sure. Strike off the "easy" scores. Give no credit to the "hard" scores.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scored the only hundred of the series outside the road and made a start every innings bar the 3rd Test.
So now you're giving credit to scores on hard pitches...

Woody15 you look at a players series performance in the same manner of whoever selected David Warner Man of the Series last summer.
I do? Not sure how you've arrived at that nuffy comment when I vehemently disagreed with the decision to award Warner MOTS.

Overall combined (both teams) average was 20.75 over the first 3 tests. He's almost doubled that. Basically i'm saying 35.6 is good considering the conditions. Unless conditions are only considered for roads?

but you'd still think the 2nd best bat in the world would get at least 1 score of note, Labs top score was 49 after 3 Tests.

5 for Khawaja is a joke. His 62 in the 3rd test was as good as Lyon's 7 wickets and set the platform while his teammates folded around him.

Other people seem to be over rating the spinners, I'd give Lyon 7.5 and Murph 6.5. Murph had a fantastic debut and bowled okay afterwards without being truly threatening. Lyon had a crap first test but was the better of the two after that.

Last edited:
If batsman's performances on a road are discredited, why is it not the same for a bowler on excessively spin friendly wickets like we saw in the first 3 tests?

at least the ratings in this thread are better than those in The Age. what a joke!

I was pretty impressed overall with the performance of the team. Obviously let down by the moments in the first 2 tests but think overall we performed well.

Warner 1 - Should never have been selected, scaled up to 1 based on Renshaw.
Khawaja 8 - Batted well, 2 good 50's and a big hundred*. Took a ripper catch too.
Head 7 - Came in and did the job we needed from him and made consistent runs. Made our winning run chase stress free.
Marnus 7 - Didn't set the world on fire but managed to average 40 across the series without fully cashing in on the 4th test road.
Smith 4 - Poor series by his high standards. 4 might be generous but he wasn't completely useless and was refreshing as captain.
Handscomb 5 - Pretty much performed to par. Made some solid scores and set up a winning position in the 2nd test (72*).
Renshaw 0 - Straight up useless liability.
Green 7 - Made a hundred on the road, came into the side and clearly improved it.
Carey 5 - Did half his job flawlessly, batted poorly.
Cummins 1 - Bowled terribly by his standards and captaincy was poor. (forgivable clear excuses, but they don't come into my calculation)
Starc 2 - Not much value to the team overall.
Boland 3 - Only played 1 test, was tight but no wickets. Hard to judge.
Lyon 8 - Led the attack, took 22 @ 22 and 11 in our win.
Kuhnemann 6 - Pass mark. Took 5'fa to set up our win. Pretty good debut series.
Murphy 7 - Really liked him. Came in and took wickets early in the series and was tight throughout.
Yep can't fault this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back