Gary Ablett Senior - Acquired Brain Injury During Playing Career

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a s**t take. You’re better than that. Do better.
Nonetheless it's true if he has been a user of amphetamines. I don't know what drugs he has used and for how long. If you use amphetamines for a significant length at time you will generally get structural brain damage with all the cognitive and behavioral problems that entails. They are one the worst of drugs. There are not many old speed freaks, they just don't make it whereas there are a reasonable of old junkies. For the scholars

Abuse of Amphetamines and Structural Abnormalities in Brain

I'm in no way trying to diminish he significance of his head injuries wrt to CTE (I'm not Dr McCrory!!) but it becomes complicated if he has used amphetamines significantly. It's also difficult because it's not easy to diagnose CTE, common brain scans don't show anything diagnostic.

does heroin usage not also have an effect on the brain?
Yes, but the structural changes are relatively minor in comparison. See Slatibardfasts excellent post above.

Added - This article talks about CTE and drug use. It's a layman's one.

I believe the issue here is the AFL unwillingness to assist in treatment

This whole concussion suit is very difficult to prove from the players perspective but collectively they are saying post retirement help simply hasn’t been available

I was knocked out at least 3 times in under 15's and under 17's, always went straight back on as did all players and also knocked out a few more times in general life, Im 60 this year and so far seem to have my wits about me but it seems to affect people differently.

We need to put a lot more money into research in these areas but in reality life is a risk, I wouldnt have liked it if I wasnt able too play contact sports, people now fully understand the risks so have to make a decision if they want to take the risk of concussion in a contact sport or not, at this stage there is no way to completely erradicate concussion if you have heavy contact.
Im 40. I have had, easily, 20-25 have a sleep, goodnight concussions from playing Rugby, Aussie Rules, fighting and my old Job. My most recent being 3 years ago. I wear a helmet to play football now and that has helped.

My memory can be like swiss cheese. I have developed Major Depression and sometimes really struggle to comprehend every day life. I have headaches constantly and now vertigo.

As kids, you got cleaned up, got back up and went again. I played many games with the whole field in a fog. I think we are making more and more steps in the right direction but there still needs to be further research. I fully support young kids wearing helmets while they are learning.

At the end of the day though, it is a contact sport with inherent risk. We play because we love it.

Nonetheless it's true if he has been a user of amphetamines. I don't know what drugs he has used and for how long. If you use amphetamines for a significant length at time you will generally get structural brain damage with all the cognitive and behavioral problems that entails. They are one the worst of drugs. There are not many old speed freaks, they just don't make it whereas there are a reasonable of old junkies. For the scholars

Abuse of Amphetamines and Structural Abnormalities in Brain

I'm in no way trying to diminish he significance of his head injuries wrt to CTE (I'm not Dr McCrory!!) but it becomes complicated if he has used amphetamines significantly. It's also difficult because it's not easy to diagnose CTE, common brain scans don't show anything diagnostic.

Yes, but the structural changes are relatively minor in comparison. See Slatibardfasts excellent post above.

Added - This article talks about CTE and drug use. It's a layman's one.

Bit academic if you said you have no idea what drugs he has used and for how long. Half the AFL and half the general population has probably taken illicit substances so could speculate the same for anyone with a brain injury...

Im 40. I have had, easily, 20-25 have a sleep, goodnight concussions from playing Rugby, Aussie Rules, fighting and my old Job. My most recent being 3 years ago. I wear a helmet to play football now and that has helped.

My memory can be like swiss cheese. I have developed Major Depression and sometimes really struggle to comprehend every day life. I have headaches constantly and now vertigo.

As kids, you got cleaned up, got back up and went again. I played many games with the whole field in a fog. I think we are making more and more steps in the right direction but there still needs to be further research. I fully support young kids wearing helmets while they are learning.

At the end of the day though, it is a contact sport with inherent risk. We play because we love it.
Hi mate, firstly never give up on yourself, my wife is bi polar so I sort of get how hard depression is, at least from the outside, hope your going okay.

Your right, time to spend some money on finding ways to lessen the damage, while putting time into finding ways to at least stabilise the issues CTE causes. We dont want a ban on.contact sports as that is pretty much all of them when it comes to concussion.

Not to sound harsh but I’d want to see the diagnosis or hear from the qualified person who made it before the conversation on him is even had.

Ablett has said a lot of downright crazy things in his time.

I personally wouldn’t take his word on anything, and knowing how modern media works, no fact checking would’ve been done.

Why is it a ‘s**t take’? His drug taking is well documented. Do you not think that may have taken a toll on him and perhaps contributed to any brain injury he has?
The Chicken and egg scenario. Brain damage from religious nutter thinking that leads to drug taking or drug taking leads to religious nutter thinking?
Toss a coin...

The Chicken and egg scenario. Brain damage from religious nutter thinking that leads to drug taking or drug taking leads to religious nutter thinking?
Toss a coin...

Ablett seems like the type of person who would fake illness as well in order to make money. I heard a few years ago he charges Geelong to make appearances at functions, though I am not sure how true that is.

Poor that the AFL would not even pay for the scan .
Any player showing these symptoms should have the scan funded by the AFL.
How can it be proved afl games caused it? Ablett taking all those narcotics may have wrecked his brain

Ablett seems like the type of person who would fake illness as well in order to make money. I heard a few years ago he charges Geelong to make appearances at functions, though I am not sure how true that is.
Yeah, you do not seem too sure of anything. The world is your oyster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rick james cocaine GIF
Liked heroin too.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

How can it be proved afl games caused it? Ablett taking all those narcotics may have wrecked his brain
We know players suffered head knocks while playing , AFL should pay for tests regardless for this reason alone . Tell me what physical damage to Brain structure do drugs do? Hint, read links already posted :rolleyes:

STEP 1. The test is to quantify the damage . AFL pay!

Bit academic if you said you have no idea what drugs he has used and for how long. Half the AFL and half the general population has probably taken illicit substances so could speculate the same for anyone with a brain injury...
Mate, with respect, nobody is poking fun at him for having taken drugs. Its not "well its illegal", because everything from weed upwards is technically 'illegal'. Ablett was a heroin user, that will have serious long term consequences, particularly when paired with the concussions.

All I remember hearing about Ablett was how he struggled to function like a normal person, couldn't pay bills, arrive on time, remember names ect.

Think he's probably coming from further back in the pack with this claim than others

Remove this Banner Ad

Back