Coach Is it time for Dimma to go?

Is it time for Dimma to go.

• Yes

Votes: 97 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 126 57.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hardwick is, and has always been, an excellent coach. There is no good reason not to let him reach a point of failure before looking for someone new. A point of failure would be an extended run of games where the team appears to be playing without purpose, spirit or cohesion. Like more than half a season of that.

Richmond had a horror final quarter last night. This is miles short of even contemplating sacking the coach, or anybody for that matter. The club has traded and drafted with purpose. The players are engaged and the team plays with spirit. Even our VFL players were amazing last night in the circumstances. The club is going well overall. Next week could be tough viewing but if we hold it together there are some easier fixtures after that.

Fortunately the club will not be thinking about replacing key people and neither they should.

Now? No. End of the year, maybe. It always seems dumb to make the call from the outside tho, we have so little information so your opinions are based on what? The teams performance which has many factors?
Depends on two things. Does Dimma still have the drive. And does he really still have the playing group with him. If yes to both then play on. If no to either then time to end.

We are in a transitional period. Half the 22 from last night didn't play in any of the 3 flags so that's a lot of change in a few years. We have a lot of young guys who make mistakes that young players do and then we have a lot of older players that are not as strong/fast/commited as they once were. Combined with the massive injury list it seems like it's pretty hard for the team to get anytime to gel and any consistency. So not really putting the performances too much on the coach.

Biggest warning sign tho would be the lack of disciple and what looks to be a lack of care from some of the players at times. We've also been pretty undisciplined I guess but surely Dimma would be giving them sprays for it right? So are they not listening or is it just kinda accepted.
And for the lack of care, it's hard to tell with guys like Grimes and Vlasutin if it's just decline? But sometimes it seems like the care isn't there either. Bolton looked quite disinterested last night too. So many lazy half kicks when he had space to run and really make things happen.

Hardwick is, and has always been, an excellent coach. There is no good reason not to let him reach a point of failure before looking for someone new. A point of failure would be an extended run of games where the team appears to be playing without purpose, spirit or cohesion. Like more than half a season of that.

Richmond had a horror final quarter last night. This is miles short of even contemplating sacking the coach, or anybody for that matter. The club has traded and drafted with purpose. The players are engaged and the team plays with spirit. Even our VFL players were amazing last night in the circumstances. The club is going well overall. Next week could be tough viewing but if we hold it together there are some easier fixtures after that.

Fortunately the club will not be thinking about replacing key people and neither they should.
I'm watching a different team to you then.

Go and watch Richmond of 2017 and tell me the players are as engaged, have the some love and connection for each other and play for each other and the coach.

Everyone was invested, every player was all in for the team, to the gameplan and for each other.

It's visibly different now, and that's not surprising. We were the greatest "team" I've ever seen in terms of playing as one unit, regardless of talent. Now we look disconnected and disjointed as hell.

We had our arse handed to us by a team that was missing two key backs, their best known forward, lost another forward early in the game, was playing two debutantes, and was the youngest team to take the field this round; moreover, apart from Jack, our most experienced players were abysmal
We literally did not have a ruck. Our best forward who is also our most important player. Broad, Tarrant, Gibbous are our three top pure 1 on 1 type defenders. Short is an AA level player. Then Graham to top that off.

Both teams were young. Both teams were injury ravaged. We lost..just leave at that. Seems dumb to act like we were a full strength peak side going against an injury hit young team.

Ralpsmith: 21
Maurice: 20 games played
Mansell: 19
Miller: 13
Cumberland: 11
Sonsie: 8
Clarke: 5
Ryan: 4
Young: 4

9 players 21 games or less. That could literally be half the players we have on the field at times with less than seasons worth of games.

You only need to look at the players he is subbing out to get a read is where he’s at. It’s definitely about getting games and experience into the next wave. Some serious over reactions from this board. Some of which are embarrassing
I get frustrated watching us lose, but that's a lot to do with still wanting to win. Got to accept we are rebuilding and go in with no expectations next week, and hopefully get some enjoyment watching the kids.

I get frustrated watching us lose, but that's a lot to do with still wanting to win. Got to accept we are rebuilding and go in with no expectations next week, and hopefully get some enjoyment watching the kids.
Absolutely an accept that they are going to make mistakes

I'm watching a different team to you then.

Go and watch Richmond of 2017 and tell me the players are as engaged, have the some love and connection for each other and play for each other and the coach.

Everyone was invested, every player was all in for the team, to the gameplan and for each other.

It's visibly different now, and that's not surprising. We were the greatest "team" I've ever seen in terms of playing as one unit, regardless of talent. Now we look disconnected and disjointed as hell.
That's absolutely true, BUT that doesn't mean its on the coach. That team worked for each other, but the large majority had played with each other for a long time and were reaching their peak. You could work for each other because you know each other and can trust each other.

9 players under 21 games last night. They're learning the game. Add in Toronto and Hopper who are learning the team and gameplay. And that's half the team that really doesn't quite know how to play in the system and gameplay. The other half know it, but about half that group doesn't quite have the speed/strength/skill they used to. And then on top addd constant major injuries that lead to constant ins and outs. Think off Toronto and Hopper, they're trying to get used tot he team and gameplay yet the have no chance to grow a connection with our ruck. This s**t takes time. Its not just skill or effort.

That's a massive amount and is going to lead to a disconnect. We used to run and always knew there would be a teammate right in certain spots that you could it off to. Defenders could leave their opponent because you knew they would be covered by your teammate. Without that trust and knowing, it's hard to really take chances and play like we want to. You see it at times it works and we look great, but other times we just look lost. It makes it hard to make decisions if you don't know what your teammates will do. How do you run offensively when we get a turnover if you're too worried they're going to turn it back over?

This is a transition period. Watching the games are frustrating, so obviously it is incredibly frustrating to play in them too. It would be silly to expect the players to be as invested and as engaged as they were in 2017, because it's just not that. This is the gelling period.

In saying that, then the question has to be asked of all our older players. Are you actually committed. Are you actually willing to go through these frustrating periods where its not going to be pretty and its going to be hard. Even though we can't compare to 2017 level of investment, it does seem like there's a lack of attempt of energy and engagement from some of them. I want to see Vlaustin and Grimes running to Miller and Young when they make a good play or giving them a pat when they heck up. I want to see every older player being vocal. Telling these young guys where to stand, where to run, giving them advice, being leaders. I'm really not seeing much leadership on field at all right now which is sad.

We're clearly very playing very frustrated. Which also asks the question about our expectations going in. Did we rate ourselves too highly? Did we expect to be just running back to contenders. With how many young kids are coming in it seems silly not to expect some of these failures.

It's on the coach because keeps happening the last two now 3 seasons. not fixed yet.
Agree, I raised it pre season and got berated, (Fair Enough) but we are lucky its not 0 - 5, last night Dimma and his coaching team which he is in charge of were totally out coached, Swans had extra numbers around the ball He/They did nothing to stop it, all good things come to an end we all love Dimma for what he has achieved and done for the club, it's time to freshen up

I fell for dimma out in 2016. Careful what you wish for lads, especially since no one knows how relationships/moral are behind the 4 walls.
14 injuries and not much better last season.
I will say our backline needs a massive refresh. They we shot last night before 3/4 time.
Maybe like Broad, Gibcus, Tarrant and Short injected? I guess Tarrant's unlikely to come back but Broad in for Miller, Gibbous in for Young and Short in for Ralphsmith is quite an upgrade.

We had our arse handed to us by a team that was missing two key backs, their best known forward, lost another forward early in the game, was playing two debutantes, and was the youngest team to take the field this round; moreover, apart from Jack, our most experienced players were abysmal

You’ve answered your own question : ‘our most experienced players were abysmal’. The same players who delivered 3 x flags under Dimma. Why on earth would that be a coaching issue?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe like Broad, Gibcus, Tarrant and Short injected? I guess Tarrant's unlikely to come back but Broad in for Miller, Gibbous in for Young and Short in for Ralphsmith is quite an upgrade.

Of course, but I would like to see more composure and reliability down there.
Brown and Gibcus coming on is going to be so important for us. They are the floating interceptors we need.
Short out is showing the lack of link. Rioli can’t do it all.

For those not watching we are currently in a Dimma led rebuild 1/2 the team has not even played 25 games and then we have 2-4 right at the end
lots more pain to come yet

This smacks of the end of the Hafey era at our club, a couple of lower years and he got sacked, he didn't win any more flags else where but made 5 more grand finals, if we stuck with him i think we would have won 3 more with him in charge and the blow up/walk out of players in the early 80's probably wont happen which led to our 37 years of wilderness

be very careful what you wish for

For those not watching we are currently in a Dimma led rebuild 1/2 the team has not even played 25 games and then we have 2-4 right at the end

This smacks of the end of the Hafey era at our club, a couple of lower years and he got sacked, he didn't win any more flags else where but made 5 more grand finals, if we stuck with him i think we would have won 3 more with him in charge and the blow up/walk out of players in the early 80's probably wont happen which led to our 37 years of wilderness

Nail Head

I know there will be some to tell me to piss of with Negative Dimma stuff.

But I am very interested to see the percentages here.

The poll is a very simple yes/no answer.
Yep.Piss off.

Yep. People are so ready to gut the team and just assume we load up on generational talent and bounce right back. It's a small chance to actually build a premiership capable team right on your first attempt. Like who has actually done that?

Then other than that you're a 50/50 shot of building something that can make the finals or completely failing and being stuck at the bottom for years getting stuck in the cycle of failure.

It's over he has taken a Dynasty team to trash
He created a dynasty team and you're sooking they are declining after winning 3 flags? Such entitlement. Turns out you can't be the best for ever, you do actually decline. You want to take a peak at what happened to the Lions and Hawks after their 3 flags?

Yep. People are so ready to gut the team and just assume we load up on generational talent and bounce right back. It's a small chance to actually build a premiership capable team right on your first attempt. Like who has actually done that?

Then other than that you're a 50/50 shot of building something that can make the finals or completely failing and being stuck at the bottom for years getting stuck in the cycle of failure.
No need to bottom out. We still already have key components. Rest is seeing who from the ripping draft 2 years ago is capable of taking the place of retiring greats

Back