Rules Interchange infringement wins Sydney the game

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand why it's even permitted to make a 76th interchange - why doesn't the steward just say that the team has already made 75 and prevent players from coming off? Surely there are going to be situations where it's more valuable to give away a free kick and make an interchange than to keep a good player on the bench in a tight game, so it effectively means that a team can make an infinite number of interchanges so long as they're willing to eat the penalties. Dumb rule.
Why is everyone agreeing with this?

Tell me a situation where a free kick against , plus 50 metres is ever a good thing for the team just to get a good player on field?
Even if the ball is at the opposite end , free kick + 50 means they've got a possession in the centre square and that's pretty much an inside 50 against you automatically.

Clearly outlines the penalty for exceeding the limit on page 49. And potential sanction for North on top!

Also, for the earlier question re injuries:
View attachment 1692135
Thanks for the clarification.

I will laugh however, if this infringement ends up being the difference between Reid and Watson at the end of the season.

What are you talking about? Interchange rules have been breached tonnes of times. Most notably in Hawthorn v. Geelong in Round 13 2013 with a free kick to Hawthorn right after several successive Hawthorn goals. Also know it happened in Round 23 2011 in Essendon v. Port Adelaide to give Essendon its first goal.
That's not "tonnes" of times. That's three times.

Best performance by an ancillary official since bloke by the name of A. Stretcher won us a close one against the Lions at the Gabba a few years ago.

here is a left side view - Should Sydney have kicked the ball away out of bounds in the name of spirit of the game. If this happenned at other times, people would have been falling over themselves in the name of "sportsmanship spirit"

Would have been even better if they kicked it way high to contest within the same area and then it is fair to both teams

I am told the 76th interchange was a injury forced one. Surely Sydney's leaders should have shown some sportsmanship or is that for another day when nothing much is on the line.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As per the laws of the game it checks out and was adjudicated correctly, but personally feel like the penalty doesn't exactly fit the severity of the infringement. Interchange steward should just not let them on/off the field and whoever is left on the field has to play out the game. The punishment is no more rotating gassed players and if your gun is still on the bench - boo hoo.

And then perhaps if there is a particularly stupid/arrogant team that decides to try make an interchange after the steward has notified them then pay the Free+50 and bring that player back.

There's plenty of situations every game where 2-3-4 players come off the ground at the same time. If they had 2 left and 3 players come off at once for example, how does the steward police that by waving a flag?
Someone pointed that out to me in the match thread.

It took me less than 10 seconds to think of this hi-tech solution

mqdefault.jpg

Just set up a little $10 electronic scoreboard over on the wing between benches

An amber light flashes when a team gets to 70 interchanges.
The interchange steward gets off his arse, walks over to the team's bench and manually counts it down.

"71.... 72.... 73.... TWO MORE!!! 74... ONE MORE!!! 75... THAT'S IT, GUYS... WE'RE DONE!!"

I'm sure the AFL could come up with a better system (and then find a way to f**k that up too)

They would have received a warning they had used all interchanges yet 2 came off at 74 changes so the warning hadn't came yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back