Player Watch #11: Luke "Two Dogs" McDonald (Part II) - Roo til end '26 - 2023/24 co captain w/ Jy

Remove this Banner Ad

It's pretty unfortunate how the Captain of our Footy Club is a favourite whipping boy on here (I'm of course guilty myself), I remember his first few seasons as a solid young defender, a huge shame he hasn't quite developed into the player we were all hoping for.
I am sure I am not alone in hoping this is the year Luke is back in the form of his Syd Barker medal year. I just don't have any confidence that it will happen. Would be happy to be proven wrong.

I am sure I am not alone in hoping this is the year Luke is back in the form of his Syd Barker medal year. I just don't have any confidence that it will happen. Would be happy to be proven wrong.
Yeah no one is actively 'celebrating' McDonald's poor form last year.

We are just realistic about wanting the most competitive best 22. If his form improves and that includes Luke, then that's great!

Big day for Lmac. If he is average in the VFL game then he simply cannot be allowed back into the seniors as an automatic selection, he needs to work his way back in like anybody else.

This game can pass players by fast and many hang on for too long ,mainly due to the monetary incentive. I have already noticed a pick up in certain things since the olde school have left. Luke will need to prove himself again imo to become an important regular. Being co-captain blurs this as someone else pointed out.

He’s our lockdown player this year to allow others to play more attacking

Toby Greene first up

In previous years he would have just been thrown straight into the seniors because we don’t have enough quality or depth.

Now we do, he will get the opportunity to come back in a more progressive fashion. When he’s in the team he should be cherry ripe.

This will benefit the team but more so McDonald.

He’s our lockdown player this year to allow others to play more attacking

Toby Greene first up
Agree. New toys and all but I don't want to see Hardeman or another rookie backman playing on Greene. He'd kick 10. Who else do we have (fit) who can defend on a small forward? (Serious question.)

In previous years he would have just been thrown straight into the seniors because we don’t have enough quality or depth.

Now we do, he will get the opportunity to come back in a more progressive fashion. When he’s in the team he should be cherry ripe.

This will benefit the team but more so McDonald.

Great signs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jy’s absence means he plays. They seem to have timed his run and we need senior leaders out there. I actually think he would have been played either way but with Jy out it’s even more likely he plays.
It would be a surprise if this doesn't happen.

Like so many here, I struggle to think where Luke will line up. I hope it isn't in defence.

Starting back 7 after Sunday was likely to be
Tall - Dawson, Pink
Medium - Goater
Small / Rebound - Colby, Sheez, Fisher, Scott

Im not sure who he knocks out? Maybe Scott moves up to wing rotation and LMac comes in? Maybe the don’t play Colby? I’d pick Corr ahead of LMac as well if he’s fit, gives more flexibility

Starting back 7 after Sunday was likely to be
Tall - Dawson, Pink
Medium - Goater
Small / Rebound - Colby, Sheez, Fisher, Scott

Im not sure who he knocks out? Maybe Scott moves up to wing rotation and LMac comes in? Maybe the don’t play Colby? I’d pick Corr ahead of LMac as well if he’s fit, gives more flexibility
Not play Mckercher now if heard it all McDonald is Finished at AFL level be good at VFL level.
This is the Now for this club to move forward play our talent young players don’t fall back into old habits by giving automatic selection to someone has seen the game gone by very quickly.
We have only Larkey,LDU and Sheezel that fit the category of automatic selection at this time and once we start winning more games pushing for the finals and premierships we will have more players move into the category of automatic selection.
Don’t reward mediocrity.

You can't play McDonald week 1.

No preseason games at AFL level, and his most recent VFL game was lackluster at best. He's undercooked and his form to end last year/start this year doesn't warrant selection.

Being a captain doesn't get you picked.

No preseason games at AFL level, and his most recent VFL game was lackluster at best. He's undercooked and his form to end last year/start this year doesn't warrant selection.

100%
No way in hell does he get the luxury of coming in under done or not absolutely zoned in.

If I saw sloppy passes, kicks out on the full and delayed reactions from this guy - I’d be filthy if I was one of the + 8 half back flankers we have waiting to be trailed

I agree with this.

I think his spot is currently occupied by Goater and as i said above i'd be picking Corr ahead of him at any rate.

Backed. If McDonald came in for Goater I'd be absolutely filthy. Larkey is captain for now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back