Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

just imagine if we'd lost!!

By the end of the season those 2 points will be very handy, especially if our percentage doesn't improve much, and the hand wringers will be saying 'gee, lucky we snagged those 2 points when we were smashed in the clearances by 17 and the contested ball by 20'
We have been smashed in the clearences most games this year. Today Essendon scored 43 points to 3 from clearences.

yep agree with all that

• Sidey out (looks reasonably cooked); Sullivan in to play inside; WHE to a wing (needs to be instructed to play defensively & try roll back to help out a reasonably porous defence)
  • Lippa out (too slow & soft for mine ..last week an aberration); HH or Reef in
  • Cox should spend more time in CS bounce-downs and then roll-forward ..Cameron can do more around the ground following. Cameron has been good this year but struggles in CS against bigger physical rucks
  • Howe has struggled 1v1 (especially leading types with some athleticism ..Howie is simply slow off the mark) ..no obvious replacements unfortunately so must persist
  • IQ has been invisible all year for mine ..i'd be tempted to make a statement change with him (Markov in) but as a minimum, i'd send him a stern message to lift his intensity.
  • Defence looks a bit rudderless or lacking leadership /organisation without Murph but will need to work through it
IQ has put on bulk but he has the turning circle of a truck this year and has lost a yard of pace.
He was so brilliant last year he probably didn’t need to change anything.

I thought that Essendon actually were fortunate to draw. Their first quarter start was bordering on miraculous. They were kicking goals from their a$$es. It was only due to that initial first quarter blitz that they were in a position to draw the game, once we started applying pressure and adjusting our defensive game. Their subsequent inaccuracy was more than matched by ours.

two weeks in a row that we have let the opposition team kick 6 of the first 7 goals.

one thing for sure is this team is going to look completely different when McStay gets back in. More for the fact that it means we aren't so reliant on Mihocek having to kick a bag to win us games because his accuracy would be a liability if we had any other choice. He makes us a 2-goal better team which I think will be to our benefit if we happen to just finish outside the top 4.

IQ was brilliant last season and was on the verge of being AA.

He wasn't lacking for strength last season but it seems he's added even more size and right now as a result his speed of movement and even reaction times seem to be off.

IQ is same as lot more players that not played as well as they did last year

one thing for sure is this team is going to look completely different when McStay gets back in. More for the fact that it means we aren't so reliant on Mihocek having to kick a bag to win us games because his accuracy would be a liability if we had any other choice. He makes us a 2-goal better team which I think will be to our benefit if we happen to just finish outside the top 4.
Fingers crossed this is true but last year was plenty without him and still won. Including the GF. I think the biggest loss to our team and structure is Murphy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IQ has put on bulk but he has the turning circle of a truck this year and has lost a yard of pace.
He was so brilliant last year he probably didn’t need to change anything.
I remember thinking the same thing about IQ last year - he started slowly, then improved steadily through the season.
I hope can do the same this year.

Epic mark.

GL_kOxaaIAEwAMa
If that doesn't win mark of the year, I'll force myself to go to Maccas and eat the cholesterol bomb they call a Big Mac.
That said, Josh Daicos was cheated out of GOTY by that flog Draper, so I could be on shaky ground!

Our midfield were dominated in the vfl by a vfl team, that’s the issue. Nobody is going to come in and solve the mids. Fin def won’t if it’s pace we want.

Sullivan might get a shot if he plays well.

The other question is who will go out for Demattia after his 50posession 4 goal debut game

Huge VFL game on Saturday for some lads. Sullivan, Macrae, Dean, Markov and McInnes in particular. Looking forward to watching more of Parker as well......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back