EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for my absence bigfooty community, I’ve had a severe case of the runs and at my age of 98 I had to take time off to heal. But unlike deer park, I’ve left with the four points and I’m back.

Who knew a weekend without mcguane and his men could still be so magical. The drama, tension and excitement all balled into one. I’ve done my Anzac Day review so I’ll quickly finish the other games and then move on to round four babbbyyyyyyyy.

1. The stars will not be denied. What a campaign they are putting together. The whisp is travel to watch them play in the coming weeks.
2. Tremendous Tudor did what I expected. The panthers couldn’t put deer park away but ran away with it. Great turnout at John McLeod, granted I raise the attendance by 5-10% with my presence.
3. Greenvale. Greenvale. Greenvale. What a game bigfooty what a game. The jets fly past EK to send them spiraling to the bottom.

Round 4 preview.

We can breathe ladies and gentlemen. Mcguane is back coaching this week. Mick’s minute is back, Keillor forward handball game is back as well as Awesome Ash is back against EDFL’s suprise packet.

1. Avondale to send EK dropping to 0-4. Must win game for both sides.
2. Airport West vs Deer Park. I would say this is a snooze fest but deer park fans are too loud talking about how they should’ve be undefeated. Deer park to pick up their first ever premier win.
3. Keilor to blow past the jets who are coming off a grueling contest compared to Keilor who are coming off the bye. Keilor 60+
4. The griff would have penciled this in as an easy win early in preseason but it won’t be as straightforward now with the recent stars form. A week off was much needed for the mores who were cursed with injuries. Expecting a strong response from Strathmore who will go 2-2.
5. The game I’ll be attending. VB stubbies at Clifton Park while watching two sides who cannot stand eachother. Abers v Paco = mouthwatering. Abers haven’t impressed the whisperer like Paco have. Tudor to March upwards and take the four points.

Present Pat has gone absolutely bonkers at training. Demands that the player who leaked the photo of his rant come forward. On a search and said if he finds the bloke he will be stripped of all match payments and will never step foot in the club again. Players leaving left right centre including home grown who were once loyal. The club won’t exist in 2 years
I take a week off and Pat goes berserk like his Dennis Rodman in Vegas. We need to see this video 😂. When is Pat going to realize the club is better off without his involvement.

If all this is fact, do we see EK winning another game with such infighting?

They did put on some big points in the last game and were up by two goals with only minutes to play, could easily have won that and the first two rounds they played top teams, so might not be as doom and gloom as this forum or their own club is making out.

My opinion, is that this negativity within the club can only grow, not sure they can come back from this unless something drastically changes at all levels of the football club.
Deer park praying on the downfall of EK. Only way they’ll stay up is due to the explosion within from EK. They’ll be in div 2 before we can say “Pay me Pat”

Pat has now called for an emergency meeting with the senior leadership group. Rumour is that Caluzzi getting stripped of captaincy because word got out of his desire to leave. Massive night at selection table

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how training went at East Keilor tonight? Did they train? Did anyone turn up? Did the group chat leaker reveal himself? Have they got a new captain? Have they got enough players left to field a team? Was the atmosphere hospitable? Did the president do anything presidential? Did anyone at EK get a call from DP? Have the players begun a collective bargaining agreement? Have odds been set for the EK V Avondale game? Are preseason contracts valid in a court of law? Does anyone at EK need legal advice? Does anyone down there need an escape plan? If so don't dilly daddle, 30th of May is the transfer closure date. All aboard.... the last train out of EK station is about to depart for platform Division 1.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how training went at East Keilor tonight? Did they train? Did anyone turn up? Did the group chat leaker reveal himself? Have they got a new captain? Have they got enough players left to field a team? Was the atmosphere hospitable? Did the president do anything presidential? Did anyone at EK get a call from DP? Have the players begun a collective bargaining agreement? Have odds been set for the EK V Avondale game? Are preseason contracts valid in a court of law? Does anyone at EK need legal advice? Does anyone down there need an escape plan? If so don't dilly daddle, 30th of May is the transfer closure date. All aboard.... the last train out of EK station is about to depart for platform Division 1.
The escape plan 😂😂😂

Absolutely it is.

If it wasn't for the points system, DP and EK would be playing off in the GF for certain this year.

Whilst that might be true
The points were introduced in 2016 and the cap in 2017. Since then Premier division flags have been won by the following teams:

keilor (3)
Abers (2)
SMore (2)

GV won back to back 2012-13 and before that MP 2009-10.

Interestingly and quite relevant to this whole argument is those that have won promotion have rarely stayed and been a force in premier. Some have stayed but have regularly taken up bottom 3-4 spots and or just avoided relegation, such as AH (since 2005, MP 2008, PV 2012 and EDS 2015)

I’m recent years AW have been promoted twice and currently still in premier (they did drop straight away in 2019) as did craigiburn in 2021.

The points (moreso) and sal cap system have perhaps helped more in Div 1 and 2 than premier, however sustaining that success in premier is much more difficult and perhaps requires more $$$ to make it and stay but at what cost?

As has been mentioned numerous times, the points system is what sets this apart as we know (from past and current experiences)that you can’t buy flags and remain successful.

Absolutely it is.

If it wasn't for the points system, DP and EK would be playing off in the GF for certain this year.
Not even with an extra $300k and 20 points would they play off. Both got inferior lists full of blokes that play for one reason, and both have coaches way out of their depth in this comp

Not even with an extra $300k and 20 points would they play off. Both got inferior lists full of blokes that play for one reason, and both have coaches way out of their depth in this comp
And Gremlin goes whack😂

Wasn’t that many years ago Abers had biggest cheque book reportably spending around $1.6M a year on Football to win flags so I dare say the points system has slowed things up a bit.

In the grand scheme of things it has really been a small window to judge if points and cap is working.

You see it in the AFL, teams have periods of dominance and then drop off (some not as much as others - bloody Geelong). We have had teams stuck at the bottom for years and make their way to the top (Carlton). Sorry Roos fans, but some poorly run clubs stay at the bottom and lose players due to the players wanting success.

You could put this same story on the Premier Division, currently the top four teams are going well, but other teams are slowly starting to push their way up, with good strong young lists that are developing. Without the points and Cap (yes this has car park deals and doesn't work, but even the AFL clubs exploit this), I think teams can remain at the top for much longer as they will just build on the success and lure players into their club with money and that success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back