Richard Hadley - ALL MERGED

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Hadley for pick 52

Not a good record of sponsorship is it? I bet all the young players are praying we dont pick them next!

Bloody hell, alot of quality players are sponsored by people on this board.

Sherman
Merrett
Patfull
Begley
Tyler
Harding
Rischitelli

We best be careful!

I have no hard feelings towards Haddles. Good luck to him. Would have liked to get a little more because he'll be worth more to Carton than our 52 pick. Unless we pick up another like Riska with the late pick! Fingers crossed.

I have no hard feelings with Richard Hadley either. It just upsets me we have a system where Carlton because they can't win a game for 2 years get rewarded by giving us vertually nothing for Hadley while they walk away with a great player.

I hope to see Hadley finish in the top 5 of Carlton's B&F next year, think he is a quality player who Carlton just paid Peanuts for.

If we play some finals footy next year, it will provide an extra incentive for players to stay.

Browny comes off contract and the end of next year, and some clubs are going to make another million dollar play for him.

I hope the club is ready for it.

Expect numerous threads on Clark, Stiller, Rischitelli, and Brown next year, just to name a few.

Josh Kennedy ending up at the Eagles may take a little bit of heat out of the inevitable Clark to West Coast bandwagon, but we'll still hear plenty about it.

If we play some finals footy next year, it will provide an extra incentive for players to stay.

Browny comes off contract and the end of next year, and some clubs are going to make another million dollar play for him.

I hope the club is ready for it.

I would think that it would of been firmly in their minds with the way they have gone about it during this trade week.

Browny will not leave as long as we offer him something reasonable.

From afl.com.au

Brisbane – Leigh Matthews
"The opportunity to pick up a top grade experienced midfielder doesn't come around too often.
"Therefore sacrificing a young developing ruckman in Cameron Wood was judged to be a reasonable trade from the Lions' point of view. We have been able to obtain Travis Johnstone at a very reasonable cost because the Melbourne Football Club will be paying for the majority of his first year contract".
"We were very disappointed that Richard Hadley asked to be traded and that he wanted to leave this club.
"This will be the first summer for three years that Richard is not in injury rehabilitation so we did not want to lose his services. However, he would have gone to Carlton in the pre-season draft so we eventually agreed to trade him for quite a low pick for a player of his talents."

So he was going to do a runner so we had to cut our losses?

Sounds like Leigh thought of him as a required player as well.

Not cool.

Sounds like we are cash strapped. If the majority of Johnstones 1st year salary is being paid by Melbourne, we aren't paying Wood or Hadley now. Then surely we can give Ash and jared a bigger slice of the pie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is that supposed to mean?

I'd imagine he might cop more than his fair share of knocks next time we play that is all.

You know the drill. Ex players always cop plenty.

Surprised so many Lions posters are all lovey dovey with Hads, wanting to wish him well - **** off - did you read what Leigh said - he did a runner from our club - that is a slap in the face to me, my club and disrespectful - i don't know about you, but as a member/supporter of this club - any player who walks through our corridors and the hallowed turf of the Gabba - with all the champions before them - and walks - is a dog and you will rarely get a kind word out of me if they leave - Call me stubborn/ignorant, but i am passionate and love to rip into them when they come up agaisnt us - i couldn't give a stuff about opportunities - everyone gets their chance.

Sounds like we are cash strapped.

Not necessarily. I think it has been made abundantly clear that it is virtually impossible to deduce from the outside what the salary cap pressure is like. We might be tracking nicely, we might be under a little pressure, we might be a few bucks under. It is just too hard to surmise. Ask LuckyLuke who just did the exercise trying to guesstimate the contract values of our players.

Far more likely is that we simply weren't willing to pay for a guy that we just weren't sure was worth the money he was asking for. It is not about spending every last cent of the cap just because you can. If we valued Hadley as a $80K player and were willing to go as high as $100K but he could get $150K elsewhere, do we automatically let the fact that someone else is out there bumping up the price dictate what we think he is worth? The market aint always right and paying overs on all of our players is a surefire way to go broke quickly.

I remember when Travis Baird left that many people let the fact that another club was willing to pay more than us dictate their judgment of the club's decision not to price compete. We got that one right and Baird took up a senior list spot for two years with little return for the Dogs. We might get the Hadley one wrong but until we are consistently getting more wrong than we get right, then the club has to assume that its decision making process is working OK.

Not necessarily. I think it has been made abundantly clear that it is virtually impossible to deduce from the outside what the salary cap pressure is like. We might be tracking nicely, we might be under a little pressure, we might be a few bucks under. It is just too hard to surmise. Ask LuckyLuke who just did the exercise trying to guesstimate the contract values of our players.

Far more likely is that we simply weren't willing to pay for a guy that we just weren't sure was worth the money he was asking for. It is not about spending every last cent of the cap just because you can. If we valued Hadley as a $80K player and were willing to go as high as $100K but he could get $150K elsewhere, do we automatically let the fact that someone else is out there bumping up the price dictate what we think he is worth? The market aint always right and paying overs on all of our players is a surefire way to go broke quickly.

Hit

Nail

Head

:thumbsu:

We effectively traded Hadley to upgrade 5 places in the 4th round (I can't see us drafting 5 players this year). That is an abysmal trade and I would much rather have taken the extra time to see if we could talk him into re-signing and if we ended up losing him so be it.

On the positive side it will be an opportunity to bring out the old Gabba favourite chant for a few years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back