We need Jason Dunstall to come in and tell Pearce to GTFO

Remove this Banner Ad

Be that as it may, it just seems a bit odd for that to apply when you have a guy free in the square on a blustery day in a grand final. I see muckypup has a similar view.

I agree with you. Just pointing out what has been said by Ross and the players previously. Of course, if he goes the pass and a Hawk gets back and puts a spoil on then you get a different thread (probably from the same creator) complaining that he didn't take the shot from 40 out near on straight in front.

How is these dumb ******* threads/posts seem to come from posters who've been here less than a month? Probably started watching us after our good run home and decided they were experts.

I've only been here for over a year, but in my (poor) defence I thought Dockerlands was the only thread for years until I actually typed in 'Dockers forum' in google.

8 years champ.

Firstly please feel free to delete this if inappropriate coming from WCE fan.

I thought you truly gave it a good crack and some of your players just did not execute or we're overawed by the day. However the only time that I thought a Freo player deserved a dressing down was Ballantyne in 2(?) quarter when he ignored Walters streaming I for an open goal to take a shot from 50.

To me that was a momentum changer. He makes that pass Freo kicks a goal and it's game on. Instead he took a selfish option to kick from 50 odd meters out with a swirling wind and out of bounds on the full.

Other then this you guys were honest thorough out and played with commitment.

I thought Ballas was thinking for a second or two before and after taking the mark that he would take responsibility for the kick. By the time that second was up the opportunity was lost. Playing on instinct would have been better in this case. Don't think, do. Hayden's. mind is more committed than his body can keep up with. Might be good to play within his limitations.

As for Pearce he has often looked like he was going to do something great in many games this year but never really delivered. Handy for taking some focus away from Stephen hill. Never really seen him use his pace to run towards goal.

Can't agree with the OP or the sentiment of the title. Pearce was one of many in our team who handled and disposed of the ball poorly. That's sort of why we lost.
Unless there is someone BETTER to replace him. I like the look of Lachie.

He had a poor grand final, but he wasn't alone there. Thought Pearce was terrific against Sydney though, but I agree some of his kicking hasn't been up to scratch at times this year. Especially for such an elite kick. He helped us get to a grand final so he did most of his job.
Freo played poorly for most of the game and he didn't help. Isolating him seems unfair, Clarke, Mayne Ballantyne and even Fyfe etc etc did some terrible things. Whoever played on Gunston was probably the worst culprit.

Pearce was not the problem, it was an overall inability to focus themselves and settle into the contest. Pearce taking that heavy knock in the third was the most inspirational thing to happen for us in the game I thought. Scapegoats divide teams, the boys need to stick together to win it next year, most of us thought next year we would be ready... With yesterdays experience we will be.

Lol. Elite kick.

The guy has the most suspect foot skills in our team.

He has a reputation as an elite kick, That's one of the reasons we recruited him and his outside run, which he hasn't done much of either. He isn't playing his usual game at Freo. Nor is Hill for that matter. It just might be a game style that makes it hard for guys to play that way in our team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has a reputation as an elite kick, That's one of the reasons we recruited him and his outside run, which he hasn't done much of either. He isn't playing his usual game at Freo. Nor is Hill for that matter. It just might be a game style that makes it hard for guys to play that way in our team.

I have a bridge to sell to you.

Like one poster above said, he rarely uses his speed to run at goals. He just does stupid pointless spins all the time.

It reminds me of Homer as the football coach:

"Hayden, after you vibrate that way, you can fall down.

Danyle, you just spin around in a circle. "

My observation of Pearce since he has joined Freo ( didn't take notice of him at Port ) is that he has great vision, just like Hill, to set guys up over 20-40 meters in field play. The difference between he and Hill is that Hilly can also do it over 40-60 meters . I think Daniels accuracy falls away 40 m +.

He's lauded as an elite kick due to his combination of vision and execution mentioned above but there is a BIG difference between having this skill set in field kicking and being able to drill goals on the run. Goal kicking just comes more naturally to some and I don't think it's Pearce's strength under any sort of pressure.
From a technical analysis I reckon he leans way too much to his right to accommodate the swing of his left leg - which most lefties do, his gets even more exaggerated when kicking outside of 50m.

He had another poor GF yesterday, that's true.

From observing him this year, Danyle's big problem is that the world and his wife know that he is a left footer. On the rare occasion where he does have time and space, his field and goal kicking is actually as good as the traning reports would suggest.

Unfortunately, about 85% of the time, the opposition charge at him from the right. This forces him to run laterally to his left as he desperately tries to clear enough space to drop the ball on his left. The result is either a smother, or endless hook kicks around the corner a la Dustin Martin which lack depth and are invariably opposition intercepts, behinds or stoppages.

To be fair, Stephen Hill is also prone to this endless lateral movement - and it's the sideways running from these two (together with De Boer's general incapacity to get the ball to an advantageous situation) which was the cause of our half forward line breaking down at times. You could see during the season that Suban actually has enough strength now to get around this and kick long and straight, and even has developed a little emergency right foot kick.

Still, I do think his recruitment was worth it, and he does have another three years to address these flaws.

Dannel wasn't great, but still a big reason we got here. I don't see the need to dig the boots in. Not everyone can be as good as mundy or fyfe

so what would Dunstall say 2 McPharlin about his kicking?
he was a liability today.
seriously, his bad kicks cost us a fair bit & I don't remember more than 1 great intercept/spoil.
is he finished?
is he too soon after his injury?
I love Luke (Freo's James Taylor), but I am wondering if our strongest KPD is gone as a rebounder?

Second game back after being out for six weeks. He would have lost a fair bit of touch in that time, and it showed on Saturday. Seemed fine against Geelong, but the time out would have had an impact on his use... along with the occasion.

yeah it's harsh to single him out for the loss, but at the end of the season you look at your team and try to see where you could improve... and D. Pearce is a player you'd circle and think it was completely reasonable you could get a better version. too sloppy with his disposal he was to me directly responsible for far too many turnovers including the very 1st kick in to our forward 50 that pretty much set the scene for the day.

Hill was the real one.

"Great inroads?" I don't want to be harsh, but his intrinsic inability to believe in himself is just too deep. He'll never become the great he was always a chance to be. He has the natural things, the skills and speed, but not the mental ones. He needs a pillocking to up his game to his cheeky brother's level.
Very true. Daniel wells clone.and it took wells 10yrs to become consistent.
If we are going to improve in 2014 on 2013 thenRBT needs to take no prisoners. Consistently must be the mantra or its peel thunder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back