Roast WC Need to do Something About Their Recruiting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bias against the Black Ducks.

Cransberg should of dealt with this as a priority !!!!.
Ever since we were burned by Notte...

And 2011 was actually a very deep draft.
25 - Seb Ross
30 - Yeo
32 - Hamling
31 - Merrett - wrong merrett
33 - Brad Hill - agreed
34 - Kersten - given away by Geelong
37 - Newnes
41 - Grigg - has been delisted
42 - Webster
44 - Rowe
48 - Murdoch
57- Dickson - agreed
58 - Neale - agreed
67 - Witts -lol

Rookie Draft:
Laird - agreed
Spurr
Jong
Biggs
Bell
Campbell
Marley Williams
Crisp
Baguley
Blicavs
Gibson
Cunningham

There were some very good players available, we just didn't pick any of them.

Laird, Neale, Dickson and B Hill are very good players. Other than hill they are speculative picks that all other clubs overlooked and are players that have succeeded beyond expectations at draft time.

Hill would have been a better selection than Newman but we can only speculate how well muzzas career would be boding now if not for a moment of madness that screwed his career

Describing the others as very good is a stretch and in some cases downright laughable

Rule out any KPD because at the time we had Glass as well as brown, Mackenzie and Schofield all were all under 25. Same with rucks - they weren't needed

Kersten is the only KPF on your list chosen after McInnes and he struggled at Geelong nor is he a genuine KPF anyway, more a third tall

We did recruit Willie when we would have usually not picked a crumber with our picks.
Only took a decade or so.

Only time we have taken pure small forwards is recycling failed players in the rookie draft - Dick and Bedford.

Edit - and Lewis Broome with pick 200 in the rookie draft. He's not a small forward though, he was a microforward.

Laird, Neale, Dickson and B Hill are very good players. Other than hill they are speculative picks that all other clubs overlooked and are players that have succeeded beyond expectations at draft time.

Hill would have been a better selection than Newman but we can only speculate how well muzzas career would be boding now if not for a moment of madness that screwed his career

Describing the others as very good is a stretch and in some cases downright laughable

Rule out any KPD because at the time we had Glass as well as brown, Mackenzie and Schofield all were all under 25. Same with rucks - they weren't needed

Kersten is the only KPF on your list chosen after McInnes and he struggled at Geelong nor is he a genuine KPF anyway, more a third tall
I didn't say that every player I listed was very good, just that there were some very good players taken late. That list of players was to prove that it was a deep draft, which it was. Every player I listed has played a decent amount of games and had a bigger impact than any of the guys we took in that draft. The post was in response to someone saying that the 2011 draft was compromised, using it as an excuse for our poor drafting. I think that's bullshit, we could have drafted well and gotten plenty of good players out of that draft, we just didn't identify the right players.

I know that is history now, but apart from Shuey at pick 18, the 2008 draft was a debacle for us.

We picked:

20 - Tom Swift
36 - Ash Smith
52 - Jordan Jones

Could have picked:

29 - Dayne Beams
30 - Daniel Hanneberry
34 - Liam Shiels
38 - Matthew Broadbent
39 - Stephen Motlop
44 - Rory Sloane
53 - Michael Walters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy in hindsight and Walters has had his issues on his journey that he may or may not of sorted with us. There is every chance he would just be playing at East Perth.
And Lamb over McGovern jnr?

I know that is history now, but apart from Shuey at pick 18, the 2008 draft was a debacle for us.

We picked:

20 - Tom Swift
36 - Ash Smith
52 - Jordan Jones

Could have picked:

29 - Dayne Beams
30 - Daniel Hanneberry
34 - Liam Shiels
38 - Matthew Broadbent
39 - Stephen Motlop
44 - Rory Sloane
53 - Michael Walters

We got NicNat at 2, if it wasn't for injuries he would be 1 ruck in the league.

Just saw the write up a young Swift "2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championship where he played 3 games for Western Australia averaging 36.3 disposals per game, the highest of any player at any under-16 or under-18 carnival since 2001. He also averaged 8.7 marks, 5.0 inside 50s, 6.7 clearances and 5.3 tackles per game.

We got NicNat at 2, if it wasn't for injuries he would be 1 ruck in the league.

Just saw the write up a young Swift "2006 NAB AFL Under 16 Championship where he played 3 games for Western Australia averaging 36.3 disposals per game, the highest of any player at any under-16 or under-18 carnival since 2001. He also averaged 8.7 marks, 5.0 inside 50s, 6.7 clearances and 5.3 tackles per game.
Has an immense highlight package from memory from that championship.

High Risk high reward coming off 2 knee recos, was a pretty decent pick at the time. Just couldnt hack it at top level, could hack a kick though

I agree, Nelson is worth persevering with and n fact I would like to see him on a wing where he can use his pace, Sheed has shown he can play but the club simply will not drop certain players so he is perceived to be below them.
This is the biggest issue at the club and has turned us soft as butter.

Think our poor player development is as much to blame as our below par recruiting. Has any of our recent recruits (say from 2011) shown any significant improvement since joining the club? Given our well documented midfield issues, first round draft picks like Sheed and Duggan should regulars in the team by now. Look at Lamb - played first game in round 1, 2015 but none since then. McInnes took 4 seasons to play a game. Karpany played one away game out of the blue last year but dropped after that loss and now does not look like getting another game. Even Mcgovern, who is now one of the best players in the AFL, took nearly 3.5 years to play his first game. Shepherd took nearly 6 years to show something. So we cannot be certain that those very good players who were drafted after our picks would have turned out the same way with us. Even if we did draft SPP last year, there is a fair chance that he would still be playing for East Perth.

Think our poor player development is as much to blame as our below par recruiting. Has any of our recent recruits (say from 2011) shown any significant improvement since joining the club? Given our well documented midfield issues, first round draft picks like Sheed and Duggan should regulars in the team by now. Look at Lamb - played first game in round 1, 2015 but none since then. McInnes took 4 seasons to play a game. Karpany played one away game out of the blue last year but dropped after that loss and now does not look like getting another game. Even Mcgovern, who is now one of the best players in the AFL, took nearly 3.5 years to play his first game. Shepherd took nearly 6 years to show something. So we cannot be certain that those very good players who were drafted after our picks would have turned out the same way with us. Even if we did draft SPP last year, there is a fair chance that he would still be playing for East Perth.
Yes the selectors are way too safe. No point trying to win with the same players when they have proven a number of times they can't do it. 1 step back to take 2 steps forward needs to be the approach

Has an immense highlight package from memory from that championship.

High Risk high reward coming off 2 knee recos, was a pretty decent pick at the time. Just couldnt hack it at top level, could hack a kick though

Yea, well, coming off two knee recos is the key there. Not a good sign for someone his age.

Yeah the Swiftsa had talent. So did Ash Smith (his speed is much needed these days, unfortunately he had a terrible attitude). Who's the last draft pick we actually developed as their career progressed? Gaff and Darling have stagnated. I guess McLovin counts.

Geez you mob are emotional. I was gutted by the loss too but didn't expect the board to go into full meltdown

I agree but if this team is serious about a flag those are the games they should be winning. s**t house football from the coaching to the selection to the players.

I agree but if this team is serious about a flag those are the games they should be winning. s**t house football from the coaching to the selection to the players.

Agree. Similar to the melts after the early Hawks loss last year - it was a portent of things to come, and we all knew it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back