Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who criminally underachieved and their shenanigans cost them the title of being the greatest band of all time.

Keith Moon is the greatest drummer of all time. Debatable but to me, he stands above the rest.
John Entwistle is the greatest bass player of all time, no debate. People cite him as the Hendrix of bass, and the absolute backbone of the group.
Pete Townshend possessed an incredible ability to write songs about anything - love, gambling, pinball, drugs etc. He wrote operas and conveyed them into rock and roll. He also had an amazing voice for back-up singing and provide a voice that Roger couldn't, as if he always had something to get off his chest.
Roger Daltrey had an incredible voice for rock and roll. He is a premier frontman and has the image of being a rock icon.

I think they're underrated as a group and I have them #4 on the all-time rankings behind the big three (Beatles, Zep and Stones) but they should have gone all the way with the talent they had and how early they managed to hit their peak. Pete was 25 when he wrote Won't Get Fooled Again, and 21 when he wrote his first rock opera. What attributed to their demise? Pete and Keith are to blame for me. Roger too did some dumb s**t though; only John is a victim in The Who. The Ox deserved so much better as a musician.

Pete was awfully selfish post-Quadrophenia and reserved most of his best work for his solo albums. Neither The Who nor his solo career (because he's not a good lead singer) were succeeding as a result and he fell into heavy alcohol and drug addiction. Townshend was also very fussy and only wanted things his way, hence why for the first 40 years of performing together, he and Roger were never friends which hurt the group's potential. Pete also didn't like touring and so his relationship with John who loved touring was average. John and Pete also disagreed on the use of John's songs, who wanted to sing his own work, but Pete refused and gave them to Roger.

Keith was a super dumb human being who caused his own problems and didn't take anything seriously enough. He was an alcoholic all his life and he often passed out during shows and always started arguments with Pete and Roger. He gained heaps of weight in his last few years which affected his rapid drumming. He died in 1978 at the age of 32 which was ultimately a death note for the band. They were always going to go on but it was never going to succeed whilst Pete was in his current state. Roger just didn't belong. He disliked Keith and he hated Pete. He disliked Keith's replacement in Kenney Jones even more because his style didn't suit the band. He like Pete, was too involved with his solo career during the 1970's to ultimately fulfill his potential with The Who. As frontman, Roger should have been far more influential in the civilisation of the group. He's like Ablett Jr as captain of the Suns.

Probably more a rant than an opinion but I felt like getting that off my chest. Good night folks.

Tl;dr, The Who massively underachieved and should have been the best band of all time with their talent

I remember reading he was going to get fired but 'My Generation' saved his job.
He knocked Keith out for supplying the other two with drugs once. The band put him on notice and that straightened him out because he didn't want to go back to being a sheetmetal worker. Then when they became big, he became a campaigner again

The Who criminally underachieved and their shenanigans cost them the title of being the greatest band of all time.

Keith Moon is the greatest drummer of all time. Debatable but to me, he stands above the rest.
John Entwistle is the greatest bass player of all time, no debate. People cite him as the Hendrix of bass, and the absolute backbone of the group.
Pete Townshend possessed an incredible ability to write songs about anything - love, gambling, pinball, drugs etc. He wrote operas and conveyed them into rock and roll. He also had an amazing voice for back-up singing and provide a voice that Roger couldn't, as if he always had something to get off his chest.
Roger Daltrey had an incredible voice for rock and roll. He is a premier frontman and has the image of being a rock icon.

I think they're underrated as a group and I have them #4 on the all-time rankings behind the big three (Beatles, Zep and Stones) but they should have gone all the way with the talent they had and how early they managed to hit their peak. Pete was 25 when he wrote Won't Get Fooled Again, and 21 when he wrote his first rock opera. What attributed to their demise? Pete and Keith are to blame for me. Roger too did some dumb s**t though; only John is a victim in The Who. The Ox deserved so much better as a musician.

Pete was awfully selfish post-Quadrophenia and reserved most of his best work for his solo albums. Neither The Who nor his solo career (because he's not a good lead singer) were succeeding as a result and he fell into heavy alcohol and drug addiction. Townshend was also very fussy and only wanted things his way, hence why for the first 40 years of performing together, he and Roger were never friends which hurt the group's potential. Pete also didn't like touring and so his relationship with John who loved touring was average. John and Pete also disagreed on the use of John's songs, who wanted to sing his own work, but Pete refused and gave them to Roger.

Keith was a super dumb human being who caused his own problems and didn't take anything seriously enough. He was an alcoholic all his life and he often passed out during shows and always started arguments with Pete and Roger. He gained heaps of weight in his last few years which affected his rapid drumming. He died in 1978 at the age of 32 which was ultimately a death note for the band. They were always going to go on but it was never going to succeed whilst Pete was in his current state. Roger just didn't belong. He disliked Keith and he hated Pete. He disliked Keith's replacement in Kenney Jones even more because his style didn't suit the band. He like Pete, was too involved with his solo career during the 1970's to ultimately fulfill his potential with The Who. As frontman, Roger should have been far more influential in the civilisation of the group. He's like Ablett Jr as captain of the Suns.

Probably more a rant than an opinion but I felt like getting that off my chest. Good night folks.

Tl;dr, The Who massively underachieved and should have been the best band of all time with their talent
Some valid points.

I’d rank queen above them too. Mercury was a better singer than Daltry, beautiful touch on the piano, and was also a brilliant songwriter the equal of just about anyone. That’s without addressing the other 3 band members who were all freaks in their own right.

I love the who and I love their songwriting but I don’t think Townsend is a good enough lead guitarist to be considered alongside some of the others in this kind of comparison. Moon and Entwhistle, fair enough (though they both had pretty fair counterparts in the other bands too, particularly in queen and zeppelin)

Some valid points.

I’d rank queen above them too. Mercury was a better singer than Daltry, beautiful touch on the piano, and was also a brilliant songwriter the equal of just about anyone. That’s without addressing the other 3 band members who were all freaks in their own right.

I love the who and I love their songwriting but I don’t think Townsend is a good enough lead guitarist to be considered alongside some of the others in this kind of comparison. Moon and Entwhistle, fair enough (though they both had pretty fair counterparts in the other bands too, particularly in queen and zeppelin)
1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. The Rolling Stones
4. The Who
5. Queen
is my top five personally. Mercury probably the best frontman there's been - amazing singer, top notch lyricist and really could play a piano. His performance at the Live Aid concert thing in London is spine-tingling.

Townshend would be up there with the great rhythm guitarists, and combined with his amazing song writing skills, he's one of the most talented musicians there is, in my view.

He knocked Keith out for supplying the other two with drugs once. The band put him on notice and that straightened him out because he didn't want to go back to being a sheetmetal worker. Then when they became big, he became a campaigner again

I think it should be pointed out at this stage that being a sheet metal worker is not so bad !!!!!

Angus Young is an overrated Lead Guitarist.

Ive consistently viewed Ian Moss along with Johnny Diesel as the greatest Guitarist Aust. has produced.
Just Maybe, they didnt get the international mainstream success there "Singer-Songwriting" talents desereved. (Tuckers Daughter, Choirgirl, Cryin Shame anyone)

I found Angus to just Rehash the same stuff over an over for his lead. Always blues, not sonically different enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive consistently viewed Ian Moss along with Johnny Diesel as the greatest Guitarist Aust. has produced.
Just Maybe, they didnt get the international mainstream success there "Singer-Songwriting" talents desereved. (Tuckers Daughter, Choirgirl, Cryin Shame anyone)

I found Angus to just Rehash the same stuff over an over for his lead. Always blues, not sonically different enough

Tommy Emmanuel is the best Australian guitarist imo, but I'd have Ian Moss right up there. Very underrated.

Angus is a very good lead, make no mistake, and maybe for a while in the 70s and 80s was right up there, but mostly it's his showmanship he made his name with. Probably the best stage mover while playing incredibly tight and still going in to his 60s.

Agree with Moss and both Emmanuel's, not sure about Diesel though. Maybe I need to listen to more.

Sent from mTalk

Van Halen also massively underachieved as a rock band. Had almost unforeseen talent but instead became no more than an 80s footnote somewhere below Def Leppard.

Sent from mTalk

Don Walker wrote Choirgirl.

Bow River was probably the most famous Ian moss song from chisel.

Angus has no qualms admitting his shortcomings: ‘I only know one solo, but f*** it’s a doozy’ I believe he was once quoted as saying.

Being limited doesn’t mean you are ordinary though. There’s more to being a great guitarist than being the fastest or most diverse etc. Jonny Ramone was a great guitarist - how many solos did he play? Doesn’t matter because he revolutionised the instrument for many people.

But yes if you’re talking pure talent then Mossy is right up there, his acoustic version of Green River is f***ing unbelievable.

Random trivia: Diesel plays the uncredited solo in the Barnesy-Tina Turner version of Simply the Best.

Guys like Angus write music that puts the song before him showing his technical ability. Eddie Van Halen got to a stage where he was writing songs that didn't even have a guitar or solo. The famous Stairway to Heaven has a solo that sits well below Jimmy Page's ceiling.

A tonne of hair metal bands had guitarists that were constantly trying to out do each other, but who remembers that?

Sent from mTalk

While I agree with just about everything you've said...in spite of all of that, The Who still were the best band of all time. At their best, in my opinion, no other band could touch them. Especially live.

Don Walker wrote Choirgirl.

Bow River was probably the most famous Ian moss song from chisel.

Angus has no qualms admitting his shortcomings: ‘I only know one solo, but f*** it’s a doozy’ I believe he was once quoted as saying.

Being limited doesn’t mean you are ordinary though. There’s more to being a great guitarist than being the fastest or most diverse etc. Jonny Ramone was a great guitarist - how many solos did he play? Doesn’t matter because he revolutionised the instrument for many people.

But yes if you’re talking pure talent then Mossy is right up there, his acoustic version of Green River is f***ing unbelievable.

Random trivia: Diesel plays the uncredited solo in the Barnesy-Tina Turner version of Simply the Best.
Don Walker could be there Ace in the hole. Walker was a good songwriter too for chisel.

Im going to go ahead an say I prefer the underused Mossy as Chisels lead vocalist over Barnsy, Whats your preference on who leads on their vocals?
Yes I have heard Mossys acoustic stuff, I especially love the acoustic version of "Janel;" and "Georgia on my mind".

Van Halen also massively underachieved as a rock band. Had almost unforeseen talent but instead became no more than an 80s footnote somewhere below Def Leppard.

Sent from mTalk

Had worldwide success with 2 different singers.

Don Walker could be there Ace in the hole. Walker was a good songwriter too for chisel.

Im going to go ahead an say I prefer the underused Mossy as Chisels lead vocalist over Barnsy, Whats your preference on who leads on their vocals?
Yes I have heard Mossys acoustic stuff, I especially love the acoustic version of "Janel;" and "Georgia on my mind".

I love the songs Mossy sings - When the War is Over, My Baby etc, but Barney - who was by no means a screamer back then (I like his present day screaming anyway) complimented most of their songs perfectly imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back