Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

This probably isn’t unpopular but it is an opinion.

Waterloo Sunset is the most beautiful song ever written
No disagreement from me.

I think The Kinks are the most underrated band of all time.

No disagreement from me.

I think The Kinks are the most underrated band of all time.
I wouldn't say 'underrated', I'd say they are extremely highly rated and are/will be a household name for some time. I suppose maybe "under-appreciated" in comparison to some of their contemporaries could be true, but as I said they are a household name and they are an international success with rarely a bad word written about them.

13th Floor Elevaters and maybe The Zombies are quite possibly underrated from that era IMO.

I wouldn't say 'underrated', I'd say they are extremely highly rated and are/will be a household name for some time. I suppose maybe "under-appreciated" in comparison to some of their contemporaries could be true, but as I said they are a household name and they are an international success with rarely a bad word written about them.
It's funny you should say that. I was tossing up between underrated, and underappreciated. In a way, you're probably right, as they are a very well known band, and very highly rated critically. I wouldn't call them a household name. They should be, but I don't think they are. Not quite. Compared to some of their contemporaries, they are definitely both underrated, and underappreciated. I think they are right up there with the very best bands of all time, both in the sheer quality of their music, and their massive influence. They're never thought of in the same way as the Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, and others are though. I've never been able to work out why. They should be, as their body of work is at least the equal of all of them, including the sainted Beatles (cue effigies of Hoos popping up at brunchtime).

It’s amazing that You ReallyGot Me came out the year after Love Me Do.

Within 12 months of the Beatles getting to the top with the most inoffensive sound you could imagine, the kinks came along with this caustic sounding distorted power chord style that in its own way was far more influential on later rock music than the Beatles ever were.

I think it’s accurate to call the kinks underrated because, to the broader populace, they were.

It’s amazing that You ReallyGot Me came out the year after Love Me Do.

Within 12 months of the Beatles getting to the top with the most inoffensive sound you could imagine, the kinks came along with this caustic sounding distorted power chord style that in its own way was far more influential on later rock music than the Beatles ever were.

I think it’s accurate to call the kinks underrated because, to the broader populace, they were.
You've picked one of the Beatles' simplest tunes to suggest the Kinks were more influential. The Beatles then turned everything about their band upside down and influenced generations of musicians.

Praise the Kinks but the Beatles aren't overrated, they were just that good.

You've picked one of the Beatles' simplest tunes to suggest the Kinks were more influential. The Beatles then turned everything about their band upside down and influenced generations of musicians.

Praise the Kinks but the Beatles aren't overrated, they were just that good.

I never said they were overrated. Geez, dare suggest that someone did something better than the Beatles and it’s like you’ve kicked a baby in the face studs up.

If you read what I wrote, I didn’t criticise Love Me Do.
I said the sound was inoffensive. As was the sound on almost every major hit they had up until Help or thereabouts.

You Really Got Me is no more complicated than Love Me Do.
In fact technically it is less so as it only has 3 complete chords. Love Me Do has 4.
F***, if you wanted you could claim the Beatles themselves influenced the rhythm part of You Really Got Me with the quarter-note tambourine etc.

What I said was, You Really Got Me influenced the SOUND of later rock and roll more than the Beatles’ initial foray.

And it’s true. Dave Davies slashed a hole in a speaker cone in one of his amps to distort the sound. It also had a distorted solo that was far ahead of any of the basic melody-style stuff the Beatles had done at that point.

Just because someone had a huge influence over a certain artistic movement doesn’t mean they a) started it or b) were the most important.
If that were the case, Chuck Berry would have no claim on sitting alongside Elvis as a father of guitar rock and roll.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never said they were overrated. Geez, dare suggest that someone did something better than the Beatles and it’s like you’ve kicked a baby in the face studs up.

If you read what I wrote, I didn’t criticise Love Me Do.
I said the sound was inoffensive. As was the sound on almost every major hit they had up until Help or thereabouts.

You Really Got Me is no more complicated than Love Me Do.
In fact technically it is less so as it only has 3 complete chords. Love Me Do has 4.
F***, if you wanted you could claim the Beatles themselves influenced the rhythm part of You Really Got Me with the quarter-note tambourine etc.

What I said was, You Really Got Me influenced the SOUND of later rock and roll more than the Beatles’ initial foray.

And it’s true. Dave Davies slashed a hole in a speaker cone in one of his amps to distort the sound. It also had a distorted solo that was far ahead of any of the basic melody-style stuff the Beatles had done at that point.

Just because someone had a huge influence over a certain artistic movement doesn’t mean they a) started it or b) were the most important.
If that were the case, Chuck Berry would have no claim on sitting alongside Elvis as a father of guitar rock and roll.
Your earlier post stated that You Really Got Me was more influential than the Beatles ever were, which I thought was just plain wrong. This post says influenced later sounds more than the Beatles' initial foray, which is probably true. The Beatles' influence is all about their evolution and later work.

Your earlier post stated that You Really Got Me was more influential than the Beatles ever were, which I thought was just plain wrong. This post says influenced later sounds more than the Beatles' initial foray, which is probably true. The Beatles' influence is all about their evolution and later work.
I said that power chord style (read: distorted power chord style) was in its own way more influential than anything the Beatles did, ie any of their particular sound innovations. The Beatles influence didn’t steam as much from their musiCal style as it did from their cultural impact and the simple fact that they made people want to listen to or play music.

An example of this is Oasis. They cite the Beatles as a huge influence. Aside from the fact that they used piano in a few of their songs and played quavers in, say, Don’t Look Back in Anger in a similar way to Let It Be, there really isn’t much of a sonic resemblance. It’s more about what they represented and the way they popularised rock n roll.

A part of The Kinks not being as big as their contemporaries was their failure to really make it in the States. Their touring ban didn't help that.

Also, Ray Davies comes across as a prat in every interview that I have seen of him. He is not the happy go lucky boy that The Beatles were at their press conferences. I get the feeling, that despite, his brilliant song writing, he is a total knob.

Terrific band with a great catalogue and legacy, but...

A part of The Kinks not being as big as their contemporaries was their failure to really make it in the States. Their touring ban didn't help that.

Also, Ray Davies comes across as a prat in every interview that I have seen of him. He is not the happy go lucky boy that The Beatles were at their press conferences. I get the feeling, that despite, his brilliant song writing, he is a total knob.

Terrific band with a great catalogue and legacy, but...

He was a prat. He started to grow out of it as he got older though. He was also seemingly more cynical than most of the Beatles, something borne out in his songwriting.

While I agree with just about everything you've said...in spite of all of that, The Who still were the best band of all time. At their best, in my opinion, no other band could touch them. Especially live.
The Who of 1968-1973 were untouchable. Absolutely untouchable.

I prefer EP releases over full length albums.

Obviously it's subject to change, but I love the thought of an EP being released by a band/musician that I enjoy, no filler and quality not quantity. 4/5 tracks on an official release is my favourite.

I prefer EP releases over full length albums.

Obviously it's subject to change, but I love the thought of an EP being released by a band/musician that I enjoy, no filler and quality not quantity. 4/5 tracks on an official release is my favourite.
The pity is that they hardly ever get made anymore. While I must admit that a great full length album is my favourite, a 4 or 5 track EP with no filler can be a wonderful alternative.

I like a good EP as well and one of the consequences of the changing music industry is that more bands are producing EPs because they can't afford to be out of the public eye for a couple of years making an album (Foo Fighters, Coldplay and Mumford & Sons all put out EPs in the last couple of years). But I hardly think they are 'no filler' albums, they are just smaller albums made in a smaller timeframe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back