Analysis Biggest Boom and Bust players - past or present

Remove this Banner Ad

phill5158

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Boom: for me Jake Kelly has been the biggest boom, overlooked by Collingwood and now looks set to become a 200 gamer in my opinion. Isn't the most flashy player but just does what he needs to do each week. Also one of our better players on grand final, the occasion didn't get to him.

Bust: Would have to be Matthew Jaensch, he was just starting to come good in his career and I likened his kick to Smith. Unfortunate that he did his ACL and lost passion for the game. I think he chucked away a good career.

Who are your boom and bust players?

On SM-T810 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Boom: for me Jake Kelly has been the biggest boom, overlooked by Collingwood and now looks set to become a 200 gamer in my opinion. Isn't the most flashy player but just does what he needs to do each week. Also one of our better players on grand final, the occasion didn't get to him.

Bust: Would have to be Matthew Jaensch, he was just starting to come good in his career and I likened his kick to Smith. Unfortunate that he did his ACL and lost passion for the game. I think he chucked away a good career.

On SM-T810 using BigFooty.com mobile app

MJ's kick was vastly overated. He did a lot of kicking long to contests, he very rarely went for difficult kicks like Smith does. He was a pretty good kick for goal in general play though, but had long since played as a half forward.

Guess any of the Rookie picks have to be classified as "Boom" .......Rutten, Charlie, Bock, Greenwood

Biggest bust was IMO Meesen, the big headed pussy cat ........and Lance Picioane
Omg Meesen biggest waste of a pick and Picioane never showed anything either.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Guess any of the Rookie picks have to be classified as "Boom" .......Rutten, Charlie, Bock, Greenwood

Biggest bust was IMO Meesen, the big headed pussy cat ........and Lance Picioane
Biggest bust is/was Laurence Angwin. Our highest ever draft pick. :mad::drunk::eek:

Biggest bust is/was Laurence Angwin. Our highest ever draft pick. :mad::drunk::eek:
He was the Obvious #1 bust, so naming him wasn't going to spark any conversation ....so i tried to name maybe some less obvious players

Another "bust" was a player i thought had an immense career potential ....Josh Krueger

Harsh - if anything I would have considered him a possible boom player considering he originally came from the rookie draft. Especially harsh compared to the highly rated spuds in the draft who never played a game for the Crows...

Our two highest picks in draft history (Angwin at 7, Meesen at 8) would be easily the biggest busts. I guess Angwin had some skills and the excuse of a major injury early on at the club, but he was locker-room poison too (as evidenced by his time at Carlton). Meesen on the other hand was just flat out useless from day 1, no sign of any AFL level talent let alone enough to be a top 10 pick. Take your pick of those two, they are hard to top.

Last edited:
God we had a bad run during the early-mid 2000's - Angwin, Watts, Meesen, Pfeiffer, Sellar. Reilly and Douglas our only successes during that period

Since then, we've just about been spot on with talent ID - Danger, Davis, Talia, Smith, Lever (too early to tell on the rest)

MJ's kick was vastly overated. He did a lot of kicking long to contests, he very rarely went for difficult kicks like Smith does. He was a pretty good kick for goal in general play though, but had long since played as a half forward.
MJ might have been handy next year - he's probably the most like-for-like replacement we could have had for Smith.

Biggest boom would be Eddie Betts. Not only has he been a champion on field but his profile and character reflects extremely well on our club. One of the rare true icons playing the game today.

Biggest bust would be how we handled our first game at Adelaide Oval. Should have made a statement instead had a navel gazing handing over of the ball between some people no one cared about. Gave Port the leg up to call AO “home”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actively trading a first round draft pick for a known quantity in Richard Tambling is arguably worse and a bigger bust than any speculative but poor draft selection.

As for biggest boom, have to go with Ben Rutten from the rookie list. Gun KPD, All Australian and club legend for peanuts.

Biggest boom would be Eddie Betts. Not only has he been a champion on field but his profile and character reflects extremely well on our club. One of the rare true icons playing the game today.

Biggest bust would be how we handled our first game at Adelaide Oval. Should have made a statement instead had a navel gazing handing over of the ball between some people no one cared about. Gave Port the leg up to call AO “home”.

That handing over the ball remains a mystifying effort by our ex-CEO. What was he even thinking except how can I make this entirely about myself.

Harsh - if anything I would have considered him a possible boom player considering he originally came from the rookie draft. Especially harsh compared to the highly rated spuds in the draft who never played a game for the Crows....
Jaensch was very highly rated in his draft year. He would have been the under 18 All Australian centre-man if only he had his head screwed on straight. A side from being an abrasive character, he tried to get through his whole football life on talent alone and didn't want to put in the required hard work. It is no surprise that he wasn't prepared to do his rehab. From what I have heard, the club was glad to see the back of him. From a talent perspective, he was definitely a bust!

Jaensch was very highly rated in his draft year. He would have been the under 18 All Australian centre-man if only he had his head screwed on straight. A side from being an abrasive character, he tried to get through his whole football life on talent alone and didn't want to put in the required hard work. It is no surprise that he wasn't prepared to do his rehab. From what I have heard, the club was glad to see the back of him. From a talent perspective, he was definitely a bust!

74 games in AFC colours compared to zero, zilch, donuts, nada: it's totally unfair to consider him a bust in comparison to the monumental failures mentioned earlier like Angwin, Meesen, Watts, Pfeiffer, etc...

Last edited:
74 games in AFC colours compared to zero, zilch, donuts, nada: it's totally unfair to consider him a bust in comparison some of the monumental spuds mentioned earlier like Angwin, Meesen, Watts, Pfeiffer, etc...
I agree. I wouldn't call his overall package a bust either. I just wanted to make the point that he is not a typical rookie who did well to play 74 games, he is a highly talented player who didn't fulfil his potential - definitely not a boom.

I agree. I wouldn't call his overall package a bust either. I just wanted to make the point that he is not a typical rookie who did well to play 74 games, he is a highly talented player who didn't fulfil his potential - definitely not a boom.

Fair call. :thumbsu:

I still wonder how far he could have gone if it wasn't for that ACL injury when he was near career best form? We will never know unfortunately. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back