Teams 2018 Fantasy - Rate My Pre-Season Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is my forward line too crazy?

Dev Smith, Petracca, Lobb, Stringer, Christensen, Rioli.

Add to that Scharenberg and Jaeger I’m really risking it to get the biscuit :X
Yea mate i wouldn't, in theory it's great but they just never all pay off. I would pick the 2 that you are most keen on from those forwards and pick them.

View attachment 461446

Thoughts on my team?!?

Going Gawn-Nank in the ruck as NicNat's under an injury cloud heading into JLT.
you've got plenty of first year rookies with Ahern & Freeman too, these types will likely need a spell or two during the season, my guess is you'll be chasing your tail trying to get 22 on the field each week once the season gets going. FWIW my rookies aren't much better. just that it's something to be mindful of.

Given NicNat now falling out of teams, he is re-becoming an under-priced POD option. Especially if Lobb gains DPP in round 6.
I'd be very wary of NN.

Recent article by Greg Denham in the Australian gives a whole lot more info on his injury, including quotes from the surgeon and WC CEO Nisbett. Upshot is there was a lot of collateral damage, which is why recovery has taken longer than expected. Nisbett says WC are taking a cautious approach; he's been ruled out of JLT1 but could play JLT2.

Given his importance to the team, when he does play I can see him being managed...both TOG and actual games, particularly if there's any soreness.

I'd be very wary of NN.

Recent article by Greg Denham in the Australian gives a whole lot more info on his injury, including quotes from the surgeon and WC CEO Nisbett. Upshot is there was a lot of collateral damage, which is why recovery has taken longer than expected. Nisbett says WC are taking a cautious approach; he's been ruled out of JLT1 but could play JLT2.

Given his importance to the team, when he does play I can see him being managed...both TOG and actual games, particularly if there's any soreness.
Heard on 6PR this morning that NicNat 'wants' to play JLT 2 but in all likelihood it won't be happening and he isn't looking likely for round 1 from reports out of West Coast. Although take that with a grain of salt as Haggers spins s**t at the best of times

NicNat is a great option as long as he plays. Pretty sure that is why everyone is getting off - nobody knows if he is going to.

Of course.
But if there is a good rookie option in the early rounds, it could definitely pay off. He could gain a decent amount of cash even if he misses some games, and then you could transfer Lobb via DPP in round 6 or at Nic Nat's bye round.

I'd be very wary of NN.

Yep will wait and see.

Heard on 6PR this morning that NicNat 'wants' to play JLT 2 but in all likelihood it won't be happening and he isn't looking likely for round 1 from reports out of West Coast. Although take that with a grain of salt as Haggers spins s**t at the best of times

True that!

Of course.
But if there is a good rookie option in the early rounds, it could definitely pay off. He could gain a decent amount of cash even if he misses some games, and then you could transfer Lobb via DPP in round 6 or at Nic Nat's bye round.
I am staying well away. Too much cash tied up in a bloke who got reported by someone (Karl Langdon maybe) for having "bone on bone" in his knee. None of the WA journos are reporting anything positive.

Are there any rookie rucks expecting to play? You are right that you could make a tidy 200k if he plays 4-5 games at a reasonable level but I just don't think it is worth it given the odds of getting a doughnut are really high IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am staying well away. Too much cash tied up in a bloke who got reported by someone (Karl Langdon maybe) for having "bone on bone" in his knee. None of the WA journos are reporting anything positive.

Are there any rookie rucks expecting to play? You are right that you could make a tidy 200k if he plays 4-5 games at a reasonable level but I just don't think it is worth it given the odds of getting a doughnut are really high IMO.

It’s more about points of difference.
People have more and more information so teams are similar in many areas due to the long discussions in the pre-season, like this one!
But it also means that as the winds change large swathes if people include or exclude particular players. Last year that including many getting JOM or Roughead, to varying levels of success. Or everyone settling on “best ruck combo” when we know things change year to year and so the ideal option is to pick who will come through as the new #1.

Clearly Nic Nat is not going to be #1 ruck for the comp but if people are jumping off him on basis of minimal extra information than when everyone (>50% anyway) was on him, it might be a good contrarian move to pick him up.

You could argue similarly for Danger over Titch for instance.

It’s more about points of difference.
People have more and more information so teams are similar in many areas due to the long discussions in the pre-season, like this one!
But it also means that as the winds change large swathes if people include or exclude particular players. Last year that including many getting JOM or Roughead, to varying levels of success. Or everyone settling on “best ruck combo” when we know things change year to year and so the ideal option is to pick who will come through as the new #1.

Clearly Nic Nat is not going to be #1 ruck for the comp but if people are jumping off him on basis of minimal extra information than when everyone (>50% anyway) was on him, it might be a good contrarian move to pick him up.

You could argue similarly for Danger over Titch for instance.
POD is important, but it is only useful to you if your POD scores.

I definitely don't think Nicnat is a terrible option, but I think there is enough smoke around him to make me think there is some fire regarding him not being anywhere near 100%.

POD is important, but it is only useful to you if your POD scores.

I definitely don't think Nicnat is a terrible option, but I think there is enough smoke around him to make me think there is some fire regarding him not being anywhere near 100%.

Yup agreed!
But I’m not expecting 100% output in order to make money and decent output. At his best he could be in the high 90s, especially if his marking improved. He is priced sub 70 so even below best output there is still a lot of potential upside. The issue is if he is rested in the first 6 rounds, which is why I was saying I would need to be convinced about a bench rookie.

Yup agreed!
But I’m not expecting 100% output in order to make money and decent output. At his best he could be in the high 90s, especially if his marking improved. He is priced sub 70 so even below best output there is still a lot of potential upside. The issue is if he is rested in the first 6 rounds, which is why I was saying I would need to be convinced about a bench rookie.
I am thinking he is mid 80s with a few late withdrawals. I guess that is the difference. If I thought he was going high 90s I'd find a way but I don't see it.

I firmly believe Lycett is a much better option and I can't see why he wouldn't be in our 22 if his body is right. Although his body being right is the question since he has notoriously bad injury history in recent years
I haven't seen/heard a bad report about Lycett as yet this pre-season, an absolute monty to play to the bye I reckon.

Nic Nat will be a great downgrade option but definitely not a starter ruckman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure a downgrade ruck is going to be of any use. If he is not fit i think Gawn and another premo ruck is the way to go. Just set and forget so you can ignore them for the rest of the year.

I haven't seen/heard a bad report about Lycett as yet this pre-season, an absolute monty to play to the bye I reckon.
True enough. Although I haven't seen/heard a good report about Lycett this PS either. Looking forward to seeing how he's travelling during the JLT series.

True enough. Although I haven't seen/heard a good report about Lycett this PS either. Looking forward to seeing how he's travelling during the JLT series.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...about-first-choice-on-ball-unit-ng-b88729426z

Van Berlo is also looking forward to welcoming back first-choice ruckmen Nic Naitanui and Scott Lycett in 2018.
Naitanui (knee) and Lycett (shoulder and knee) played just one game between them last season.
“Scott has done virtually every session so far this pre-season,” van Berlo said.
“I know he’s itching to get back out there and play some good footy again. He’s certainly in good form at the moment.

I've had Lycett in and out of my team s few times. Priced at 58 which seems like value but even if NN is it he'll be sharing ruck duties with Vardy so I think he might get to 75 average, not enough for mine.

Still a decent price rise before you can switch Lobb via DPP perhaps?
Or if a young gun comes on the scene (eg WHE last year) you downgrade a mid pricer and add that 200-300k to inflated Lycett to get whoever is the form ruckman at the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back