Carlton Football Club 2018 Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL ACCESS

Rookie
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
2017 was a similar year to '16 for the blues, as they looked impressive at times whilst still struggling to win and move the ball at others. We know that when Brendan Bolton came into Head Coaches position they he dramatically improved this team. Last year felt very similar as '16 though as they didn't overly improve much.

With this in mind, and another pre-season of development almost over, what would you like to expect from the Blues from 2018?

As usual, I have a video discussing my thoughts for the year ahead, but I'm interested to see what others think.

One less win last year did not at all mean 'little improvement'.

2017 was more about giving kids the time a space to deliver the promise they carry for the many years ahead as well as find the harmony with the experienced bunch. Five of the six draftees made their debut. Three of them got a good run with the Carlton team throughout the second half of the year.

The past couple of years were all about being defensive-minded and preventing humiliation (which is a massive achievement when you compared the past two years to 2015). 2018 will be no different, but the JLT matches have hinted that some offensive layers will be explored as promised by the players and coaches.

Everyone else expects a lot from the blues but the blues themselves along with their supporters think differently. It is the third year of the rebuild, and this year will be about team cohesion and seeking more reward for effort.

Last edited:
Won't win as many games as last year but by trading Gibbs they took one step backwards to go two steps forward.

Win/loss column is irrelevant for the Blues.

Being able to switch from defense to offense within a game, would be looking to up their scoring while maintaining their defensive structures.

One less win last year did not at all mean 'little improvement'.

2017 was more about giving kids the time a space to deliver the promise they carry for the many years ahead as well as find the harmony with the experienced bunch. Five of the six draftees made their debut. Three of them got a good run with the Carlton team throughout the second half of the year.

The past couple of years was all about being defensive-minded and preventing humiliation (which is a massive achievement when you compared the past two years to 2015). 2018 will be no different, but the JLT matches have hinted that some offensive layers will be explored as promised by the players and coaches.

Everyone else expects a lot from the blues but the blues themselves along with their supporters think differently. It is the third year of the rebuild, and this year will be about team cohesion and seeking more reward for effort.

I'm not exactly sure what you're disputing here, as you've basically said exactly what I did? Because they blooded so much youth, yes they will have developed more in 2017, but they had no real improvement on 2016. That wasn't a dig at them by any means, I was just pointing out that it appeared the same as 2016.

Like you said, they are in a rebuild phase right now, which is fine, and much like yourself I am not expecting Carlton to just shoot up the ladder this year. It is another year of development as they learn to move it out of the back line more swiftly whilst also getting more games into the younger kids.

As I said at the end of the video, I personally am expecting them to have a similar win count compared to last year, but look more in control, and wouldn't be surprised if some of their outstanding talent develops greatly this year.

Not many Carlton supporters are expecting more than 8 wins and last season we won 6 games and lost over 5 games under 18 odd points when leading in the last quarter in all of them!

Playing a lot of kids will do that as they do not have the composure sometimes that is needed when the game is on the line but another Pre Season into them will see good signs , but missing Docherty really hurts and not a player that is easily replaced.

I reckon with a bit of luck and reward for effort 7 or 8 wins is not out of the question at all and only 1 more than last season.

Not many Carlton supporters are expecting more than 8 wins and last season we won 6 games and lost over 5 games under 18 odd points when leading in the last quarter in all of them!

Playing a lot of kids will do that as they do not have the composure sometimes that is needed when the game is on the line but another Pre Season into them will see good signs , but missing Docherty really hurts and not a player that is easily replaced.

I reckon with a bit of luck and reward for effort 7 or 8 wins is not out of the question at all and only 1 more than last season.
Am i right in saying Carlton supporters are behind the slow and purposeful rebuild recent years v the quick and easy solution?

Am i right in saying Carlton supporters are behind the slow and purposeful rebuild recent years v the quick and easy solution?

Most are but every supporter base has different opinions on what is the right way to go about things but quick and easy resolutions to lists that were atrocious is not happening in this day and age and patience is needed and we all understand this.

I'm not exactly sure what you're disputing here, as you've basically said exactly what I did? Because they blooded so much youth, yes they will have developed more in 2017, but they had no real improvement on 2016. That wasn't a dig at them by any means, I was just pointing out that it appeared the same as 2016.

Like you said, they are in a rebuild phase right now, which is fine, and much like yourself I am not expecting Carlton to just shoot up the ladder this year. It is another year of development as they learn to move it out of the back line more swiftly whilst also getting more games into the younger kids.

As I said at the end of the video, I personally am expecting them to have a similar win count compared to last year, but look more in control, and wouldn't be surprised if some of their outstanding talent develops greatly this year.

Isn't development Carlton's form of improving? I don't think we should just be looking at the win-loss ratio for an answer here. While 2016 may seem to have been a prettier year, it was one purely reliant on short term patches (rectifying past mistakes) which sort of made it a season of its own and nothing primarily focused on the long-term. The following year was about making a statement to the rest of the comp that blues were taking their rebuild very seriously. The first five rounds saw five draftees get a taste of the big time while three from the previous draft became regular contributors throughout the entire year.

I saw 2017 as a massive step in the right direction. I would be more concerned if it was what it was without the blooding of youth.

Last edited:
Most are but every supporter base has different opinions on what is the right way to go about things but quick and easy resolutions to lists that were atrocious is not happening in this day and age and patience is needed and we all understand this.
Theres actually a lot of satisfaction as a supporter going through this watching team slowly improve

Theres actually a lot of satisfaction as a supporter going through this watching team slowly improve

Biggest changes have been off the field and we have a coach who is perfect for us and well respected by all and our recruiters ( Mainly SOS ) seems to be hitting our draft picks well especially the lower ones while making some smart trades and bringing in players of need on the cheap and moving on others etc.

Isn't development Carlton's form of improving? I don't think we should just be looking at the win-loss ratio for an answer here. While 2016 may seem to have been a prettier year, it was one purely reliant on short term patches (rectifying past mistakes) which sort of made it a season of its own and nothing primarily focused on the long-term. The following year was about making a statement to the rest of the comp that blues were taking their rebuild very seriously. The first five rounds saw five draftees get a taste of the big time while three from the previous draft became regular contributors throughout the entire year.

I saw 2017 as a massive step in the right direction. I would be more concerned if it was what it was without the blooding of youth.
Technically, yes, but even then, although they got games into their younger players, those players didn't overly play better compared to the previous year. Yes, they did get better, but not overly that much. So in terms of comparing the year to 2016, it is still fair to say it was a bit of a nothing year. Will they be better in the long run for the 2017 development year? Yes. Am I saying 2017 was a waste of a year? No, not even close. I'm simply saying that compared to 2016, the year felt a bit stagnated.

Technically, yes, but even then, although they got games into their younger players, those players didn't overly play better compared to the previous year. Yes, they did get better, but not overly that much. So in terms of comparing the year to 2016, it is still fair to say it was a bit of a nothing year. Will they be better in the long run for the 2017 development year? Yes. Am I saying 2017 was a waste of a year? No, not even close. I'm simply saying that compared to 2016, the year felt a bit stagnated.

Fair enough! Middle ground has been met satisfactorily.

Different perspectives. I loved 2017 in terms of development. This was the year we saw what our future looked like. Green shoots we call them. In terms of games played by players under 21, it was a veritable jungle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key thing you didn’t mention was how much more competitive they were in 2017, playing a much younger team. Were in winning positions late in games but not surprisingly couldn’t get the job done. Young guys showed solid growth so would disagree that they stagnated.

Also pretty simplistic on the recruiting of Kennedy and Lang who are both good pick ups and aren’t fringe players .

2017 was a tough year to measure. Plenty of good signs, and it felt like the group were really building towards something.

Losing Gibbs and Doc puts a bit of a brake on what we'll achieve this year. I'd like to see somewhere around 8 wins, not getting blown out and 1 or 2 blowouts of our own.

The WL column doesn't matter this year, but in 2019 there'll be a lot of questions asked if we don't start climbing the ladder in a serious way.

Was there and was extremely impressed with how Carlton played early in their JLT game against us in particular, they looked like a genuinely quality team and were slick and quick with their ball movement, and then clunking marks inside 50, and they defended really well.

Then after we hit back reasonably hard they responded and pulled away again, which was impressive.

Difficult to know how seriously they were taking the JLT series, and it seems and sounds as though they really wanted to win their games, so that can make a team look better than they are (if the other teams aren't taking it as seriously), but regardless, their ball movement and speed was much improved and they kicked good scores in each game, so it seems like they've made genuine progress with their style of play and that ought to hold them in good stead going forward.

Not expecting much in terms of wins losses, but what I am looking for are improvements in certain areas ... more effective forward movement of the ball, better structures inside F50, young players getting more game time and maybe one or two (looking at you Fisher) showing potential to be a serious player, the team as a whole getting more games together and starting to gel as one unit, and strong leadership starting to emerge from the younger players on the list.

Stuff the 2018 ladder position, if we can take care of the above, ladder position will take care of itself, maybe not this year, maybe not next, but it won’t be far away.

Won't be surprised if Blues give Tiges a real battle R1. They showed some real attacking verve which could do some damage.

Carlton's draw may be fairly easy, a big improvement may see up to 14 wins though I think 7 -10 is realistic. I think they will improve, think JLT form and list age and recruiting suggests that. Two top players out, it's easy to focus on that, it would not be the first time we have seen a team lose a good player or two but still improve in this game.

OUTS:
Gibbs - Big loss, top player, didn't go for nothing.
Docherty - Injured, big loss, AA player.

IN:
Dow - Gun recruit, will impact this season
O'Brien - May not impact this season but may play some games.
Kennedy - Will have a big impact this season, good young player.
Lang - Haven't seen him yet but was handy at Geelong.
Mullett - Handy small defender/wing.
Garlett - Could be a big get, highly rated, looked great in JLT 1, adds needed pace.
Byrne - Will be a gun who steps into Docherty's role, played some games late last year but wasn't ready to come back from a serious knee injury. Strong JLT form and was very promising.
Jones - Played the last few months of last season and killed it, basically a new recruit.

On The Up:
Silvagni, Petrevski-Seton, Cripps, McKay, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering, Fisher, Macreadie, C Curnow, Cuningham, Polson, Williamson, Pickett. All good young players on the up due to having good preseasons and more games and years under their belt.
Thomas - Controversial that he will be better than the last few years but his JLT games looked better than anything he's produced at Carlton thus far. Not sure on this but we will see.

Stays The Same:
Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, Kerridge, Lamb, Lobbe, Phillips, Graham, E Curnow, Casboult, Wright. All reliable and fit, shouldn't decline anyway.

Changes:
Carlton are apparently exploring a new game plan that involves more attacking football and more scoring. Starting to have the players to do that. We will see.

Injuries aside, Carlton's gains should outweigh their losses. Playing Suns, Bulldogs, Adelaide, Fremantle and Collingwood isn't a bad result. I think Carlton will have good form early, some surprise wins and really surprise people but they may likely tire out as the season goes on and injuries and young players feel the toll of a long season. Either way Carlton are an unknown.

Won't win as many games as last year but by trading Gibbs they took one step backwards to go two steps forward.

Win/loss column is irrelevant for the Blues.

Being able to switch from defense to offense within a game, would be looking to up their scoring while maintaining their defensive structures.

Get's it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back