2018- Year of the fend off

Remove this Banner Ad

This boys and girls, is how you make yourself look like a complete idiot.

Remember it's better to be silent and thought a fool than to open our mouth and remove all doubt.
I hear people say this, but being 30 I barely saw anyone do it, if ever, until dusty came into the game, despite watching plenty of footy the last 15-20 years.

I'm assuming it was something that was used around the 80s but fell away during the 90s until it was nearly gone in the 2000s.

That irony, though.

It does seem like the technique for fend-offs has improved substantially recently. I can recall hating seeing our players going for fend-offs years ago because they always seemed to get tackled and give up holding the ball frees. These days the success rate is pretty high.
Martin is the benchmark but its hard to find an elite player that doesn't use it in their bag of tricks these days. Martin came into the system with a good fend-off he was doing it year 1. Powell-Pepper was the same.

Yeah it's not new, of course, and some players were pretty good at it, but I can't think of any I've seen at least who use it so consistently and effectively as Dusty. That's probably the difference. It's not as easy as it looks to pull off, let alone that often.
Exactly.

That irony, though.
Name me some players through the 2000s who regularly used a fend off. And I don't mean the arm flail while trying to avoid a tackle, I mean the full fledged hand in the chest which isn't meant to avoid a tackle but break it.

The don't argue as it is today simply didn't exist as a conscious planned tactic through the late 90s and early 2000s. Players may have occasionally used it as a reaction, but players these days plan to use it and train to do so. You could name more players consistently using it this year than for all time from probably 2000-2010, perhaps earlier but I only got to the age of paying lots of attention to footy around then.

The only two dramas with fend offs are that the umps don't call the high ones often enough, and that the commentators only jizz themselves when Dusty does it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Richmond players are always coming up with new and unusual innovations.

The don't argue, swan diving etc.

Could be a few I've missed.

Don't worry your minnow club invented something too: handbagging
and they jam that handbag full of salts.
jealousy is a curse and dusty owns the 'don't argue.'
the term was coined because of martin. even hear 'he's done a dusty!' 'oooohhh he's gone the dusty!'
teams even talk about how they will combat the 'don't argue' when dealing with martin.
thank you dusty for reinvigorating the don't argue.

now it is in vogue and proving to be very useful.

I don't think anyone in this thread has said that Dusty invented the "Don't argue". Rather he has become synonymous with it. Like Ablett snr with the one-handed screamer, or J.Selwood with ducking the head. Some players just perfect parts of the game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back