Preview Changes: R18 v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Replacing Tex is not a straightforward decision. Tex usually plays higher up the ground than Jenkins so his replacement needs to be able to get to a lot of contests. Neither Fog nor Himmelberg are able to play this role at this stage in their career.

Option 1; Jenkins plays the Tex role and we use either Fog or Berg as the deep forward target. Himmelberg may get the nod since he can also help out in the ruck

Option 2; Keath plays the Tex role. He has the speed to get to the contests and IMHO he is a very smart footballer. Unfortunately he is a bit of an unknown quantity as a forward in senior footy but did play as a forward as a junior and had a few games forward in the Twos.

Option 3; We bring back Mitch! This would be the best solution for our current structure but he will be underdone.

Option 4; We go all Richmond, play Lynch in Tex’s role and bring in another small forward.

Since we have to win to keep the dream alive, I would go with Option 2 or 3 but I suspect that we will play The Fog.
Himmelberg has potential but is 2 years away from debut presuming he keeps developing . He won't make the 26

Himmelberg has potential but is 2 years away from debut presuming he keeps developing . He won't make the 26

Agree, but definitely worth persisting with in my opinion. There is a lot to like about him. Had one ground ball pick up against Port this weekend where I just went wow. I think he could get a game next year actually. At least he could be next man up if JJ goes down.

Agree, but definitely worth persisting with in my opinion. There is a lot to like about him. Had one ground ball pick up against Port this weekend where I just went wow. I think he could get a game next year actually. At least he could be next man up if JJ goes down.
How does he compare with the GWS Himmelberg, any similarity? They are brothers right?

How does he compare with the GWS Himmelberg, any similarity? They are brothers right?

I am not the best to ask. I dont see that much SANFL. Personally, I dont see much similarity at all. HH is much more mobile and physically built. But I don't think we give EH the best chance of developing playing in this topped up team. He has to get poorly delivered or dumped kicks. I think its a hard position to show your wares in a really weak team. What stands out about EH is he has really clean hands and marks very high. He is really clean below his legs and quite capable with the ball on the ground, relatively mobile for a big man. He is 200cms. He is now doing ruck work and winning a few taps. He is a more than decent kick for goal. I dont think he is a slam dunk to be a good AFL player, but he is worth persisting with.

I am not the best to ask. I dont see that much SANFL. Personally, I dont see much similarity at all. HH is much more mobile and physically built. But I don't think we give EH the best chance of developing playing in this topped up team. He has to get poorly delivered or dumped kicks. I think its a hard position to show your wares in a really weak team. What stands out about EH is he has really clean hands and marks very high. He is really clean below his legs and quite capable with the ball on the ground, relatively mobile for a big man. He is 200cms. He is now doing ruck work and winning a few taps. He is a more than decent kick for goal. I dont think he is a slam dunk to be a good AFL player, but he is worth persisting with.
I rate the GWS Himmelberg very highly so have hopes our version can become a quality player.

Last edited:
Jenkins on radio suggested McGovern looks like he's putting his hand up to play. Brodie Smith might play a small amount in the SANFL too. Shame we dropped some matches earlier that have left us in such a precarious situation as we're finally getting a relatively fit squad.

Burton and Has appear to have timed their run perfectly priming the list for finals (clearly their plan all along).
Really disappointing for them and the rest of the medical/fitness staff that the players didnt win the games earlier in the year...

Jenkins on radio suggested McGovern looks like he's putting his hand up to play. Brodie Smith might play a small amount in the SANFL too. Shame we dropped some matches earlier that have left us in such a precarious situation as we're finally getting a relatively fit squad.

Gov 8 weeks out vs Fog with a poor tank. Tough choice. Probably, go with Gov, since the added benefit is he gets an extra game of match fitness into him. But 2nd week back against Melbourne will be tough. Might be better to give him 3/4 in the SANFL.

Gov 8 weeks out vs Fog with a poor tank. Tough choice. Probably, go with Gov, since the added benefit is he gets an extra game of match fitness into him. But 2nd week back against Melbourne will be tough. Might be better to give him 3/4 in the SANFL.
Gov for me, will still probably run out the game better than Fog and keep us a fraction more mobile as Brisbane can play a pretty fast brand of footy. Also Fog hit some form in the SANFL so wouldn't be such a bad thing to play 3-4 games there and generally get some continuity rather than so much in & out stuff.

Not have Douglas stuff up that contest in the showdown and find a way to beat a hapless Fremantle..
The Crows would be in the 8 and storming towards a home final.
Pretty much, whether we make the finals or not this year, I can't wait for 2019!

if fit (and apparently he was close last week but for a "minor setback" at training) then I think he comes straight in rather than Fog.
I would bring in both & play our spare midfielder who was forward last week on Kelly's wing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smith is coming back from a ten month lay off. Anyone thinking he's going to have an immediate impact is kidding themselves. I love him too, but seriously...

Similarly, other players coming back after weeks out are going to be rusty and far from match fit.
Will need a while in the sanfl.

Have you seen much of the SANFL this year?
Based on SANFL form, The Fog is 2 years away. The Berg’s SANFL form has been as good as The Fogs. The Fog in the Twos is similar to his AFL form. He does a few things and you say wow, but doesn’t do enough. The Berg played a better game than The Fog yesterday.

With Eddie, sMurph, Gallucci and Knight, we just need a key forward to make a contest and bring the ball to ground. I believe that The Berg can do this better than The Fog against Brissy because The Fog is starting to get a bit tired. I am all for giving more games to The Fog but there is nothing to suggest he can play as a key forward this year.

If otten was fit

He is the natural stand in for the Texan. He reads the play very well, is a very intelligent footballer. Knows how Tex plays his role

If otten can play that role he doesn't need do the game breaker things the Texan does.

Brisbane can't contain our forwards.
Brisbane midfield ain't exactly crash hot

We just need someone intelligent to roam Texas

If otten was fit

He is the natural stand in for the Texan. He reads the play very well, is a very intelligent footballer. Knows how Tex plays his role

If otten can play that role he doesn't need do the game breaker things the Texan does.

Gov & Lynch up ground.

JJ & Fog closer to goal with Eddie.

Team for lions i would play:
Brown Talia Doedee
Laird Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch McGovern Knight
Betts Jenkins Gallucci

Jacobs Gibbs MCrouch

Murphy Douglas Greenwood Cheney

Would be our strongest team all year and has good pace throughout the team. Would swap smith for atkins for the north melb game if we are still alive.

Last edited:
Team for lions i would play:
Brown Talia Doedee
Laird Keath Milera
Seedsman Sloane Atkins
Lynch McGovern Knight
Betts Jenkins Gallucci

Jacobs Gibbs MCrouch

Murphy Douglas Greenwood Cheney
Douglas is injured for another 1-2 weeks.

If otten was fit

McLuggage, Berry, Rayner is the cream of the crop stuff.. elite high end talent, they'll be insane if they stick together at Brisbane.
All under 20 years old. All young, but we can't underestimate these guys.

If otten was fit

Really?
Beams, Zorko, Berry, Robinson, McCluggage and Mathieson looks pretty bloody good to me. Pantsed the Hawks mids Mitchell, O'Meara, Shiels etc 44 - 29 in Clearances AWAY on the weekend, they stack up pretty well against us. Stefan Martin vs Sauce is a difficult assignment too. Hodge returns makes them stronger too.

I can see Eddie being a problem for them this week. They don't really have a match up for him, unless they bring Mayes back.

Tom Doedee is a prime example as he should have been in the team 12 months earlier imo.
V good post. Several salient points, but as for Doedee you're looking back through 2018 eyes.
In 2017, we had Laird, Smith, Talia and Lever playing well. Doedee got Leaver's spot.
In 2017, who would you have brought Doedee in for?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back