Game Day R18 - Adelaide v GWS - The Battle for a Road Elim

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Minnesota Vikings
At home we should take care of them. But the last two times in the corresponding game their midfield wiped us. Sloane's 250th - congratulations, warrior.

Who knows?

Larry David Reaction GIF

Lets face facts. Lose today and we miss finals. Night game after some rain based on weather forecast - not sure if this slows GWS down a little but we are also a precision and skilled based team at our best. Their mids are better. We will lift for Sloanes 250th - he seems to be universally loved in the whole of the AFL with one exception (this forum).

But it is a real danger game, our youngsters are tiring, they have stitched us up in the last 3 outings....Make or break time for the year. And I dont feel confident. lose today - and then despite trying hard - will very likely lose to Power and Dees. Time to then tank and finish bottom 4/5 (so congested the ladder al the way to Freo at 15th with only one less win and % behind us) by trying out youngsters, sending injured players off early for surgeries etc. Lose to Weagles in last game of the year and 9 or 10 wins should see a top 5 pick.

Lets face facts. Lose today and we miss finals. Night game after some rain based on weather forecast - not sure if this slows GWS down a little but we are also a precision and skilled based team at our best. Their mids are better. We will lift for Sloanes 250th - he seems to be universally loved in the whole of the AFL with one exception (this forum).
Its going to be interesting if the weather is a factor or GWS push through and dominate us

The home game and Rory factor will certainly help lift us

Crows x 10

But it is a real danger game, our youngsters are tiring, they have stitched us up in the last 3 outings....Make or break time for the year. And I dont feel confident. lose today - and then despite trying hard - will very likely lose to Power and Dees. Time to then tank and finish bottom 4/5 (so congested the ladder al the way to Freo at 15th with only one less win and % behind us) by trying out youngsters, sending injured players off early for surgeries etc. Lose to Weagles in last game of the year and 9 or 10 wins should see a top 5 pick.
You havent followed Adelaide long have you?

Its not in our DNA to tank - we play the ball as it lies and we push push forward like drone ants in search of something anything to give us a sugar hit - even meaningless wins in the last few rounds. We dont send players off for early surgery , we dont do any of the things that clever clubs do

And this is why we dont trust the club or are negative about it. They dont act like a clever football club

Its going to be interesting if the weather is a factor or GWS push through and dominate us

Crows x 10

Its not in our DNA to tank - we play the ball as it lies and we push push forward like drone ants in search of something anything to give us a sugar hit - even meaningless wins in the last few rounds. We dont send players off for early surgery , we dont do any of the things that clever clubs do

And this is why we dont trust the club or are negative about it. They dont act like a clever football club
We do struggle to learn and pick things up quickly

At home we should take care of them. But the last two times in the corresponding game their midfield wiped us. Sloane's 250th - congratulations, warrior.

Who knows?

Larry David Reaction GIF

looking at their season, they've had 1 good win, on form and season to date, playing at home, we should win relatively easily, 3-4 goals. But there's a nagging feeling with GWS where their mids run rampant and ours are trailing behind and nowhere near as damaging when we have it. I'd say the $3 odd is a good bet, but we're also capable of a 10 goal win on form and season to date.

It's win or bust today. If we lose fighting I'll tolerate it and the 10th-12th finish (won't finish lower due to a couple more winnable games) that will follow. That's still YoY growth and we can be optimistic next year.

If we start bad and stay bad like last week it'll be pretty tough to take. Finals ARE still very possible so if they aren't motivated by that there is something wrong with the group.

It's win or bust today. If we lose fighting I'll tolerate it and the 10th-12th finish (won't finish lower due to a couple more winnable games) that will follow. That's still YoY growth and we can be optimistic next year.

If we start bad and stay bad like last week it'll be pretty tough to take. Finals ARE still very possible so if they aren't motivated by that there is something wrong with the group.
Thats on nicks to get them up.. But since it's Sloanes 250th they probably will.

Max to Toby Greene?

GWS are still the only team to actually lose to the Eagles this year… If they have a game like they did in Alice Springs against Melbourne again today, then we win by 10 goals with our forwardline, as it’s the only reason GWS stayed in that game. Other than that win, their other 3 recent wins are against very average opposition.

In saying all of that, the Giants are a decent team, but with a few key outs and Sloaney’s 250th, we should be winning this comfortably.

Crows x 10

you may have noticed I said I would tank the last few games. You are right the club historically hasn't tanked.

Out of interest and yes I have followed the club since its first training session and trial game with G Fielke kicking the first goal against the Bombers in front of 40k at Footy Park in the pre season game in the summer of 1991 (not sure if that counts 'as long' haha and showing my age), but interestingly a thread back here in 2004 suggesting we lose all remaining games once Craig took over (after Ayres was sacked mid year) and that would have given us a priority pick and very likely Buddy F (as 5 wins or less for one season was the ridiculous criteria at the time) and almost without exception EVERY forum poster was disgusted by the concept of tanking for an elite pick. How do I know? (1) I created the thread at the time (previous alias before giving up BF for a few years), (2) I have a very good memory and (3) my thinking was possibly a little different to the herd with this concept but the herd has since changed its collective mentality :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS are still the only team to actually lose to the Eagles this year… If they have a game like they did in Alice Springs against Melbourne again today, then we win by 10 goals with our forwardline, as it’s the only reason GWS stayed in that game. Other than that win, their other 3 recent wins are against very average opposition.

In saying all of that, the Giants are a decent team, but with a few key outs and Sloaney’s 250th, we should be winning this comfortably.
they lost vs Eagles for the same reason we did against Tiges. The most oppressive heat and humidity reported by multiple players in that round 1 game adversely impacting both teams in round 2

they lost vs Eagles for the same reason we did against Tiges. The most oppressive heat and humidity reported by multiple players in that round 1 game adversely impacting both teams in round 2
Oh absolutely understand that, but still, very different losing to the Eagles vs the Tigers. Regardless, if we get that same start vs the Giants in front of a home crowd, no way are we conceding that lead.

I think the crows are done. They will only go backwards from here and fall down the ladder.

The lack of faith in the squad and the drift back to the same mature players means that the team will just run out of gas.

They will fade as the season goes on because they have not spread the load and the mature players are physically not able to carry that load.

GWS by 30

I think the crows are done. They will only go backwards from here and fall down the ladder.

The lack of faith in the squad and the drift back to the same mature players means that the team will just run out of gas.

They will fade as the season goes on because they have not spread the load and the mature players are physically not able to carry that load.

GWS by 30
The reverse gooch is strong here

We always seem to let our senior players off the hook, Smith should take the responsibility
I was thinking the same thing, let our rookie take their superstar and let the overpaid senior guys with all that experience stand the oppostions debutant, so we can get them on the rebound.
Smith or Milera, let the highly paid players earn their money for a change

Remove this Banner Ad

Back