Autopsy Rd 20 - Another Giant loss for the outclassed Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in this thread, they're not.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't: play him in the ones, get told he's not ready and he should get games in the twos; play him in the twos, cop criticism from all and sundry that he's not playing ones, and that every match a senior player who isn't up to it plays in front of him is a match wasted.

What is confusing many fans is that we've had young players in the past be dropped up and down from the ones to the twos regularly for performances no worse and often better than some of Polson's games yet he's been left in the side while others over the past seasons would have been dropped. I remember fans being pissed because Cunners was never given this kind of luxurious run by the MC.

It's certainly a problem, but Polson has time on his side. Betts, Garlett, Butler, Castagna weren't AFL quality immediately. As for the rest - Pickett, Garlett - Garlett's been carrying shoulder problems all year, and Pickett's go is not playing forward pocket it's on the wing. Granted, all three of them need work at their particular gigs, and next season will probably be rather make or break for Pickett and Garlett.

This just highlights how poorly our list is constructed then if we have basically no crumbing small forwards if as you say players we are using at present can't fill that role adequately.

What is confusing many fans is that we've had young players in the past be dropped up and down from the ones to the twos regularly for performances no worse and often better than some of Polson's games yet he's been left in the side while others over the past seasons would have been dropped. I remember fans being pissed because Cunners was never given this kind of luxurious run by the MC.
Bear in mind, Cuningham looked like he was just about to get one of these consistent runs at AFL level just before he got injured.

He'd been sent back to learn how to play behind the ball, experienced a bit of success at it, and was hitting decent form down there. But for his injury, that's the precise same story as Jack, but because of his injury we'll never know. He'll hopefully get that opportunity next year.
This just highlights how poorly our list is constructed then if we have basically no crumbing small forwards if as you say players we are using any fill that role.
Hmmm...

I don't disagree that the list is very short of small forwards, but I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment behind the rest of it. Our list is very much in progress, and the players who could be added to that particular list - LeBois, Fisher - are injured, one of whom has come on to a significant extent. The issue, as I see it, is that SOS had two directions he could go in when he began this rebuild; best available, or structure first. He chose the latter, and selected talented talls with as many picks as he could in trades and in the draft, as talls take longer and are more miss than hit. This has certainly left us short a few smalls, and has left us vulnerable to the kind of injury crisis we've had this year.

However, whether or not this decision is the wrong one is yet to be determined, because above and beyond all else it is a long term call. We will not know for at least a year if not another three if this was clearly the wrong thing to do.

To judge those decisions, though, you need to be able to provide alternatives, so my question to you is this: whom of our juniors would you have replaced with who that is playing at another club, that you would've known to select in front of them at the time the drafting decision was made?

'Gotta' say our recruiting has been a tale of extremes, some picked themselves and some others look like they may repay our faith. However, I question some of the decisions and SOS and co were off the boil last year thinking we were free to pick for need; we've gone for too many flashy little blokes with question marks over their intestinal fortitude and don't have enough power athletes. I don't want a 'big buy' or players that will be 30-31 by the time we are competing. Get experience but we still need more 'upside' or SOS will find himself with a list built for 8th spot at best.

'Gotta' say our recruiting has been a tale of extremes, some picked themselves and some others look like they may repay our faith. However, I question some of the decisions and SOS and co were off the boil last year thinking we were free to pick for need; we've gone for too many flashy little blokes with question marks over their intestinal fortitude and don't have enough power athletes. I don't want a 'big buy' or players that will be 30-31 by the time we are competing. Get experience but we still need more 'upside' or SOS will find himself with a list built for 8th spot at best.

We recruited some flashy little blokes last year? Tell me more!

Too general for my liking. Care to be more specific?

Name the players we took that you would've taken someone else with, at the time that decision was made.

Wow after reading a lot of the comments some people need to forget about this Annus Horribilis of a year and look to the future and the few positives from this year.
The emergence of Fisher,Curnow,Mckay,Dow,Obrien,Polson etc and Cripps becoming one of the elite midfielders in the competition and showing leadership that will lead him to being our next premiership captain.
Things will turn once a lot of the kids have played at least 20-40 consistent games together.
We need to get a Footy manager/Senior assistant who can help Bolton and get the best assistants/medical staff etc money can buy. If this team is still having results like today at the end of next year and into 2020 maybe Bolton will be shown the door.
But a future team with a nucleus of
B: Williamson Weitering Byrne
HB: Docherty Marchbank Plowman
C: SPS Cripps Obrien
HF: Silvagni Curnow Pickett
F: Kerr Mckay Cuningham

R: TDK RR: Kennedy R: Dow
INT : Polson,Lang,Macreadie,Schumacher,Garlett

plus add a few high draft picks and free agents will be a force to be reckoned with once they all start believing in themselves and each other and what they can offer to the team at AFL level. GO BLUES!

Yet easily glossed over and excused by the usual posters (you included) when you deride anyone that is negative on the club, players or coach.

Listen old man, not sure if you learnt this in your long life, but when you make and accept excuses for things, it’s not the best driver of performance in future.

You guys can use the ‘injuries’ excuses all you want, but if our club is in such a bad position that a inflated injury list is 100 points difference against both bottom and top sides then it’s probably not a good idea for posters like you to try and smack down those that are screaming for heads to roll, maybe even the coaches.
We got pumped by 100+ , 7 goals to 1 in the quarter against 16, what he wants you to say is that is all good,nothing to see here,great coaches,great systems,every kid will be a superstar etc.
I remember supporters like that back in the day in the Gardiner stand with a blanket on their legs and a thermos turning around to give you the stare when yelled something negative to a Mark Athorn , Adrian Bassett , Tim Renit,
Brad Shine type....precious and delusional

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow after reading a lot of the comments some people need to forget about this Annus Horribilis of a year and look to the future and the few positives from this year.
The emergence of Fisher,Curnow,Mckay,Dow,Obrien,Polson etc and Cripps becoming one of the elite midfielders in the competition and showing leadership that will lead him to being our next premiership captain.
Things will turn once a lot of the kids have played at least 20-40 consistent games together.
We need to get a Footy manager/Senior assistant who can help Bolton and get the best assistants/medical staff etc money can buy. If this team is still having results like today at the end of next year and into 2020 maybe Bolton will be shown the door.
But a future team with a nucleus of
B: Williamson Weitering Byrne
HB: Docherty Marchbank Plowman
C: SPS Cripps Obrien
HF: Silvagni Curnow Pickett
F: Kerr Mckay Cuningham

R: TDK RR: Kennedy R: Dow
INT : Polson,Lang,Macreadie,Schumacher,Garlett

plus add a few high draft picks and free agents will be a force to be reckoned with once they all start believing in themselves and each other and what they can offer to the team at AFL level. GO BLUES!

Best 100 point loss I’ve seen. We were soundly beaten by a far superior side, but the glimpses of what’s to come were outstanding...

Won’t be long before we’re doing to other sides what happened to us today.
I've been saying for a while there are alot of similarities to where Melbourne were a few years ago. And have a look at them now.

Disappointing result.
A few nice signs from McKay & Dow which is a plus.
That we allowed Kelly time and space on the outside was frustrating, I'd be giving O'Brien a tape of Kellys game to study his running patterns.
My offseason wishlist in simple terms: mids who work both ways and tackle with intent.
Conditional effort can no longer be tolerated especially from senior players, there were too many mids who seemed to think their job was done once the ball entered f50/d50 and it isn't good enough.

As sad as I am to admit it, I think you have a very valid point. We now 'accept' mediocrity or worse. Green Shoots only last so long. I posited the opinion a few weeks ago that out of honour every employee of the club should offer their resignation and seek re-employment, re-apply for their role. From line marker and boot studder, to CEO and Pres. Each needs to ask themselves 'Am I the best person for the job? Do I have the best interests of the club in mind, or am I here for the paycheck?' There has to be 100% commitment to the role and the club if you want to take the $$$.

Carlton has NEVER accepted mediocrity, it is what made us the club we are.

Dont think any here actually accept mediocrity. Its painful and each has their way of dealing with it. Some look for positive hopeful signs of an upward trend others want some kind of retribution and take it out on fellow carlton supporters.

As far as the way the club goes about things we dont have any say. Never did and never will except that time the members threw Jezza out. What a dumbass idea that was. I tell ya what we might like all the champions they like to send us but we sure treat them like scum. Then and now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back