Confirmed: Preliminary Final on Sunday at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone think of any good reason they are not playing it Saturday night.

It must mean the GF will be on a Sunday too?
The issue would be for people who wanted to attend the AFLW but not the men’s game. With a large (possible sellout) for the earlier game it possibly prevents those who want to attend the ALFW game only (including AFLW members) from attending.

That would be my best guess

The issue would be for people who wanted to attend the AFLW but not the men’s game. With a large (possible sellout) for the earlier game it possibly prevents those who want to attend the ALFW game only (including AFLW members) from attending.

That would be my best guess
How would it prevent them? Not everyone that goes to the Crows AFL game is going to stay for the AFLW game.

Sorry I don’t see what you’re getting at. In terms of stadium logistics, just allow sufficient time to get people in/out between matches.

Surely greater exposure should be the aim. A Saturday night game would mean a better television audience, plus a crowd consisting of anyone who specifically wanted to attend the AFLW match, plus those from the men’s game who felt like staying on.
Step it out for me ... timelines and numbers.

Assume the Crows men's game finishes at around 6:45pm.

When will the AFLW start?
How many do you think will stay for both games? How many do you think will leave after the mens?
What happens in the time between the games?
Will there be a clean-up of the arena before the women's game?
What about food and drinks? Do the vendors need to re-stock?
How many kids do you think would like to attend the AFLW? Do you think having the game kid-friendly / family-friendly time is important?
How many people that are not at the crows men's game will go to the crows women's game? How many of these people would otherwise be at home watching the crows men on TV?
Would you think that crows supporters at home will be watching all 5 hours of the games end on end?
Do you think that having a double header will increase or decrease the TV audience for the AFLW?
How many AFLW attendees will need public transport to the ground?
How will the transport system manage the people leaving and arriving at the same location?

I think it's an easy decision to have it stand-alone on Sunday, even just looking at these simple and surface level questions.

Step it out for me ... timelines and numbers.

Assume the Crows men's game finishes at around 6:45pm.

When will the AFLW start?
How many do you think will stay for both games? How many do you think will leave after the mens?
What happens in the time between the games?
Will there be a clean-up of the arena before the women's game?
What about food and drinks? Do the vendors need to re-stock?
How many kids do you think would like to attend the AFLW? Do you think having the game kid-friendly / family-friendly time is important?
How many people that are not at the crows men's game will go to the crows women's game? How many of these people would otherwise be at home watching the crows men on TV?
Would you think that crows supporters at home will be watching all 5 hours of the games end on end?
Do you think that having a double header will increase or decrease the TV audience for the AFLW?
How many AFLW attendees will need public transport to the ground?
How will the transport system manage the people leaving and arriving at the same location?

I think it's an easy decision to have it stand-alone on Sunday, even just looking at these simple and surface level questions.
Here’s one thought. Assuming the first game is a sellout and there’s 48k-50k there. 50% leave just before, right at the end or soon after the game ends. At the same time 10k are trying to get to the oval for the women’s game, can you imagine trying to get across either bridge against the flow of people leaving, utter chaos.

How would it prevent them? Not everyone that goes to the Crows AFL game is going to stay for the AFLW game.
Because legally they would only be allowed to sell up to the maximum number of tickets.

Hence if the game beforehand was sold out and each ticket entitled you to the later game then they would jot be allowed to sell anymore tickets to the AFLW game nor could they sell reserved seats as they don’t know which seats would and would not be occupied.

Because legally they would only be allowed to sell up to the maximum number of tickets.

Hence if the game beforehand was sold out and each ticket entitled you to the later game then they would jot be allowed to sell anymore tickets to the AFLW game nor could they sell reserved seats as they don’t know which seats would and would not be occupied.
Aflw is free

I think the idea of the double header was a very romantic one

As I wouldn't have been able to stick around after the men's game and my Sunday is free, I selfishly like the Sunday game, though initially I thought it was silly not to have it afterwards

But if they could pull 20k on the Sunday you'd call that a win and they would be able to claim every one of those spectators and not have detractors saying 'they were only there cos of the men' etc

Here’s one thought. Assuming the first game is a sellout and there’s 48k-50k there. 50% leave just before, right at the end or soon after the game ends. At the same time 10k are trying to get to the oval for the women’s game, can you imagine trying to get across either bridge against the flow of people leaving, utter chaos.
How about all the afl fans park in the city and exit via the southern gates and all the aflw fans park in north Adelaide and enter via the north gates those staying for both park east or west!

How about all the afl fans park in the city and exit via the southern gates and all the aflw fans park in north Adelaide and enter via the north gates those staying for both park east or west!
Yep, it would be one solution and I think all of these examples and possibilities were factors in why they decided to have a stand alone game.

There are a lot of cogent reasons for the standalone in this thread.
May be a combination of factors, but to me the standout is the TV thing. They'll get far more viewers when not competing against men's games. Saints V Suns is on for part of the time, but that's a game of little interest for most fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal world the AFLW would have had the Grand Final last weekend.

Between JLT and Round one. The focus is on that one stand alone game.

Start the season earlier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep ... why the hell would they want the comps to over-lap like this??? It's nuts.

Add-in the stupid AFLX in the middle of the AFLW season and I think we can see the true feelings of the AFL when it comes to the women's comp.

In an ideal world the AFLW would have had the Grand Final last weekend.

Between JLT and Round one. The focus is on that one stand alone game.

Start the season earlier.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
So simple, probably why the AFL couldn’t come up with it.

Aflw is free
Whether it is free or paid they would have to assume that every purchased ticket (i.e. the men’s tickets) are in attendance as they would have the right to pass-out and re-enter. Hence they could not allow anymore people in.

Simply replace the word “sell” in my lost with “issue”, the same considerations would apply.

Bigger numbers? That shouldn't be the aim.

It would also hide the true numbers of the first AFLW prelim at AO, rather than hold it up to be admired.

... and imagine chaos of trying to get into a semi-emptying AO

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think it won’t be a true representation though because a % won’t be able to return on Sunday. An away week would have given more true numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back