Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood broke into the midfield of what was to become a triple premiership team, and was no passenger that year
Walsh has broke into the midfield of a team reliant on Cripps to win the ball and sits 1-4.

A fair margin?
Based on the fact he is getting it 36% more of the ball than Selwood i would say yes.

Can argue backwards and forwards about is it easier or harder to do in a good side vs a bad side but I am just basing it on what they are actually producing/produced.

Walsh's stats are unprecedented.

Selwood broke into the midfield of what was to become a triple premiership team, and was no passenger that year
Walsh has broke into the midfield of a team reliant on Cripps to win the ball and sits 1-4.

A fair margin?

Can’t be any good because the team is losing?

Any agenda here sheesh.

Just appreciate what has been an amazing start to a career.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Can’t be any good because the team is losing?

Any agenda here sheesh.

Just appreciate what has been an amazing start to a career.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I never said he wasn't any good.
But saying he has Selwood's 1st year covered by a fair margin, when Selwood broke into the premiership midfield and played a significant role in it ridiculously underrates Selwood's 1st year.
it's been 5 games.

Rohan Marshall from the rookie draft of this year is really making an impact this season.

After 4 rounds he was ranked no.1 (for "ruckmen") for metres gained (250m), disposal efficiency (83%, next best Grundy, on 74%), and no.2 for clearances (6.3 per game), contested possessions (11) and overall disposals (16).

Needs to improve his hitouts winning ability, but that will come with more experience I imagine (has played all over the shop in recent years, including CHB in his last year in the VFL before being drafted, and mainly forward in his first two years with us).

Had 22 disposals in his only game at CHB (against West Coast) last year, was more than serviceable in most of his games playing mostly forward, and is now going well in the ruck.

Rohan Marshall from the rookie draft of this year is really making an impact this season.

After 4 rounds he was ranked no.1 (for "ruckmen") for metres gained (250m), disposal efficiency (83%, next best Grundy, on 74%), and no.2 for clearances (6.3 per game), contested possessions (11) and overall disposals (16).

Needs to improve his hitouts winning ability, but that will come with more experience I imagine (has played all over the shop in recent years, including CHB in his last year in the VFL before being drafted, and mainly forward in his first two years with us).

Had 22 disposals in his only game at CHB (against West Coast) last year, was more than serviceable in most of his games playing mostly forward, and is now going well in the ruck.
you guys were super lucky he came on.
your ruck stocks looked shot. He's been a perfect fit so far.

I never said he wasn't any good.
But saying he has Selwood's 1st year covered by a fair margin, when Selwood broke into the premiership midfield and played a significant role in it ridiculously underrates Selwood's 1st year.
it's been 5 games.
I did say at the moment when saying Walsh was comfortably ahead of Selwood. It's a long season I am sure Walsh, like Selwood will have games where he has 8 (Joels first game),12 or 14 possessions which would potentially change the situation.

Joel had 5 games where he had 24 or more possessions in his first year. Sam has done it every week.

While Joels first year was great, I think people are remembering as better than it was and confusing it with his 2nd and 3rd year where he stepped up to become a topline midfielder.

McLuggae & Taranto both standouts so far.
McGrath is good, but doesn’t hurt you as much as the top 2.
SPS...tracking very nicely after his first uninterrupted preseason. Has exquisite skills and hopefully had his breakout game Sunday. If so he could end up the best of the lot. Needs to play at a consistently high level like the top 3 to be in the frame.
Witherden has great footskills. Quality player.
Marshall great rookie pickup.

CURRENT TOP 5
McLuggage
Taranto
McGrath
Witherden
SPS

SPS...tracking very nicely after his first uninterrupted preseason. Has exquisite skills and hopefully had his breakout game Sunday. If so he could end up the best of the lot. Needs to play at a consistently high level like the top 3 to be in the frame.

CURRENT TOP 5
McLuggage
Taranto
McGrath
Witherden
SPS
SPS growing nicely in stature. Starting to show why he was an early favourite for #1

Bowes, Florent, Berry and Drew all had excellent seasons too.

Im loving ridley. i thought he could be a top 10 pick with the way he used the ball and his calmness under pressure.
Was pleasantly surprised to see him slip to our 2nd.

SPS growing nicely in stature. Starting to show why he was an early favourite for #1

Bowes, Florent, Berry and Drew all had excellent seasons too.

Im loving ridley. i thought he could be a top 10 pick with the way he used the ball and his calmness under pressure.
Was pleasantly surprised to see him slip to our 2nd.
Yep. Looking like a very strong draft. Could add Fisher to the list as well. Very nice pick up at 27..

CURRENT TOP 5
McLuggage
Taranto
McGrath
Witherden
SPS
Witherden wouldnt be currently top 5 based off his start to this year imo. Berry and Bowes have also both outperformed Petrevski-Seton overall to this point but he'll certainly push top 5 if he continues to put up performances like Sunday.

Tom Stewart is no.1 in this draft though regardless

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witherden wouldnt be currently top 5 based off his start to this year imo. Berry and Bowes have also both outperformed Petrevski-Seton overall to this point but he'll certainly push top 5 if he continues to put up performances like Sunday.

Tom Stewart is no.1 in this draft though regardless
No arguments from me. Don't see a lot of Brisbane or GC so will take your word for it.

Re Stewart - great player, but I don't factor mature age players in to calculations as they are generally ready to go from day 1.

I base my analysis on the 18 year olds as they have way more upside.

No arguments from me. Don't see a lot of Brisbane or GC so will take your word for it.

Re Stewart - great player, but I don't factor mature age players in to calculations as they are generally ready to go from day 1.

I base my analysis on the 18 year olds as they have way more upside.
I would usually agree on mature age players, but Stewart his improved probably more than most of the 18 year olds from this draft and is already an all-Australian. Exceptional player

For the other two I mentioned
SPS vs Berry
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=20&type=A&pid1=6334&pid2=6323&fid1=S&fid2=S

SPS vs Bowes
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=24&type=A&pid1=6334&pid2=6338&fid1=S&fid2=S

Berry probably the more consistent player of all 3
Bowes 2nd most consistent but probably a flashier player as well
Petrevski-Seton the least consistent but with the biggest individual games

All 3 looking very good.

I know it's early but some players are making moves in their 2nd year.

If done today this is how I see it going.

1) Sam Power Pepper
2) Taranto
3) McGrath
4) Witherdon
5) McCluggage
6) Graham
7) Bowes
8) Florent
9) Parfitt
10) Fisher
11) Marshall
12) Sam Petrevski Seton
13) Berry
14) English
15) Ratugolea
16) Venables
17) Simpkin
18) Logue
19) Hayward
20) Darcy

"If done today" WCE take Tim English at 13, thats if he got past GWS, Carlton, North, GCS and Sydney again. All those teams are desperate for a promising young ruckman today.

No chance both SPS or Berry get past Freo at 8.

A player like Luke Ryan would definitely be inside the top 20 from this draft, on both player rating and team needs. Dogs at 19, Port at 16, maybe even GCS at 10 have all got a spot for him.

I think it will be Walsh, Lukosius and Rankine myself (and that's no slight on the 2016 kids, whom i rate highly) but Walsh is already looking like the best first year player since Jelwood in 07, and I think the Suns kids will be jets as well)
I also think Tobey Greene should be in the mix. Over 5 hundred touches is astonishing for a 1st year player . And not just the amount of touches he got. He was tough and in and under from game 1.

Pretty average draft. Already alot of players from the 2017/2018 drafts beating most if not all of the 2016 draftees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back