Essendon fans booing.

Remove this Banner Ad

[B]Grant Thomas[/B]‏ @[B]Thomo_Grant[/B] 2h2 hours ago

What on earth is all this garbage about booing at the presentation. It was evidently an awesome game with a classic finish and all media are squawking about is booing! It’s a fans right. Deal with causes and fix umpiring and the effects (booing) may subside somewhat.
Grant Thomas - the Mark Latham of the AFL. Got quality support there.

“I respect the day except for when my team lost then I can act like a spoilt child and disrespect the meaning of the medal.” - Essendon fans justifying.
I’m not justifying anything. I think booing is for w***ers. I just don’t think it is as bad as is being made out. It was a game of football for freak sake.

Of course you are happy with the win, but you know you didn’t deserve it and pretending otherwise is disingenuous.
Absolutely we deserved it.

Jumped out to a 33 point lead. Opposition couldn't put us away.

Umpires were poor. Win some, lose some. I tend to lay blame at what was in our control when we lose and not blaming something out of control like umpiring. Essendon's disposal was poor and thats why they couldn't put us away when dominating for large periods in the 2nd half.

I’m not saying he ducked for a free - but he did duck and it was payed a free when it probably shouldn’t have been.

He actually didn't duck but held his position. Should the umpires be directed to treat them like ducking? Maybe. But it is more inline with players who raise there arms to draw high contact. How long should a player have to pick up the ball and move in to a upright position? All it would do is add another grey area to our game that is already filled with way too many.

Said it for Goodes, said it for Gaz and now Pendles - you can boo the hell out of whoever you want. Doesn't mean you're not looking like a knob when you do it, but you should be allowed.

Only thing slightly different is on this particular day, it would be nice if people remembered that the footy is supposed to be secondary to the occasion and that when a player is being presented with the ANZAC medal, maybe not a great time to boo. Wishful thinking for 90k+ after a closely contested game, but it would be appropriate.

That would be my only issue. I don't really share Bucks' view about not booing champions, but I understand him.

I think essendon supporters were so annoyed with the umpiring in close game they didnt even think about the context. Not ideal,no, but IMO understandable
Should have booed Dylan Shiel - his lack of composure in the final minutes cost you.
We should have iced the game earlier but stuffed up and kept you in it.
I don't think you can really blame the umps when you were given two freebie goals from questionable decisions.

Interesting. I haven't come across a single post in this thread where Essendon supporters are openly stating their personal disdain for Pendlebury; on the contrary rather - it's synonymously agreed he is worthy of the medal. Yet so many Bomber fans are being baited by trolls for lacking class - where's the sportsmanship in that?

There were a group of pies supporters around me absolutely trashing the venue, being evicted and starting fights in front of kids, all at the same time in the 4th qtr - would love to see how some of the Pies supporters would have behaved post siren if the result was different for them (cause you know, Collingwood supporters are the beacon of sportsmanship).

FWIW, I was at the game and legitimately thought the umpiring was abhorrent both ways in the 4th quarter. I don't put the loss down to umpiring but rather not bringing 4qtrs of required effort against a good Pies team.

Should have booed Dylan Shiel - his lack of composure in the final minutes cost you.
We should have iced the game earlier but stuffed up and kept you in it.
I don't think you can really blame the umps when you were given two freebie goals from questionable decisions.
Im not saying it decided the game, but it certainly didnt help

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find it so strange that people get upset over booing. Angry about racist comments? Of course, so you should be. Angry about swearing and vitriol? Sure, I get it. Angry, about abuse over social media? Fine, whatever. But booing? It's the most tame basic raw expression of annoyance. You're watching sport, it happens all over the world and is a part of the fun. Get the * over it.

Imagine actually having your head so far up your ass you think Essendon supporters are actually rallying against our Anzac veterans, as if we were booing the fallen heroes, when its quite ******* obvious that there were some major flaws with the umpiring of the game that lead to the result.

Someone get me a high horse so i can experience this nobility that is being so casually thrown around this forum.

I love how so many Collingwood supporters are saying "yeah umpiring was bad today, but you know... both ways!"

No, it wasn't both ways. Essendon in Bags got a cheap one and maybe another or two. Essendon were reamed by the umpires to the final siren. The game was dictated and decided by the umpire today. I've been going to the footy for 30 years and I have never seen a more one eyed game than I did today.

Something needs to be done and soon. We have neutrals who hate Essendon posting about what a farce it was. People look forward to this game for months, all year in fact... and then for the umpires to play such a part in it was disgusting.

So people who had watched them team get screwed in to a 4 point loss minutes earlier booed Pendles. Get over it. No Essendon fan has a problem with Pendles, they were just still so damn salty for the loss and display they saw from the umpires. Not sure who was worse today, the umpires or Shiel.

Lol i laughed at this, just 2-3 cheap goals in a tight game

Said it for Goodes, said it for Gaz and now Pendles - you can boo the hell out of whoever you want. Doesn't mean you're not looking like a knob when you do it, but you should be allowed.

Only thing slightly different is on this particular day, it would be nice if people remembered that the footy is supposed to be secondary to the occasion and that when a player is being presented with the ANZAC medal, maybe not a great time to boo. Wishful thinking for 90k+ after a closely contested game, but it would be appropriate.

That would be my only issue. I don't really share Bucks' view about not booing champions, but I understand him.
Fair comment - I think Buckley expressed his disappointment, I'm glad he called them out - no harm if it makes someone reflect on whether their booing was appropriate at that time.

Interesting. I haven't come across a single post in this thread where Essendon supporters are openly stating their personal disdain for Pendlebury; on the contrary rather - it's synonymously agreed he is worthy of the medal. Yet so many Bomber fans are being baited by trolls for lacking class - where's the sportsmanship in that?
If you go back literally one single page

"I boo'd the umpires and i also boo'd pendles.
Why did i boo the umpires? That was the worst umpiring display I've ever seen.
Why did i boo pendles? Felt he didn't deserve the medal. "

Imagine actually having your head so far up your ass you think Essendon supporters are actually rallying against our Anzac veterans, as if we were booing the fallen heroes, when its quite ******* obvious that there were some major flaws with the umpiring of the game that lead to the result.

Someone get me a high horse so i can experience this nobility that is being so casually thrown around this forum.

You're missing the point. It showed a lack of class on a day that is above sport, or so we're led to believe. A lack of class, poor sportsmanship, call it what you want. Your club should make a statement. Show a bit of leadership, like Buckley.

If you go back literally one single page

"I boo'd the umpires and i also boo'd pendles.
Why did i boo the umpires? That was the worst umpiring display I've ever seen.
Why did i boo pendles? Felt he didn't deserve the medal. "

Im entitled to an opinion, i didn't think he deserved the medal, simple.

Dogs fan supporting a notion that neither team was favoured by poor umpires - checks out
I'm a football fan first and foremost. I hold no bias toward either team. Me being a dogs fan holds zero relevance to my opinion on the game played today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back