Roast Margettes gotta go!

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah that incorrect disposal by King that ended up in a Rowell goal was a doozy Don't know if it was margetts but it was bad
Like Clarkson says pay holding the ball or incorrect disposal and you watch the game open up
I'd be listening to him more than anyone else

Bring back the holding the ball when grabbing the ball out of the ruck and getting tackled. I am sick of seeing ruckmen grab the ball and clean drop it when tackled and the umps call play on.

Bring back the holding the ball when grabbing the ball out of the ruck and getting tackled. I am sick of seeing ruckmen grab the ball and clean drop it when tackled and the umps call play on.

Should be incorrect disposal - free kick against. It's really not hard, but unfortunately they introduced this thing called prior opportunity which muddy's the * out of the water.

Should be incorrect disposal - free kick against. It's really not hard, but unfortunately they introduced this thing called prior opportunity which muddy's the fu** out of the water.

It was until this season when they changed the rule for some reason.

Yeah that incorrect disposal by King that ended up in a Rowell goal was a doozy Don't know if it was margetts but it was bad
I don't think it was Dean.

But I noticed that all later replays have been showing the behind the goal footage - where you can't see the throw.

It was until this season when they changed the rule for some reason.

But that rule was all about the ruckman taking possession from a ball up or in. Forget that, the change this year is correct. Just adjudicate it as it should be - if any player takes possession and then is tackled he must dispose of it correctly otherwise it's htb, unless the tackler holds the ball in to the player. simple. Piss the prior opportunity interpretation off.

Last edited:
But that rule was all about the ruckman taking possession from a ball up or in. Forget that, the change this year is correct. Just adjudicate it as it should be - if any player takes possession and then is tackled he must dispose of it correctly otherwise it's htb, unless the tackler holds the ball in to the player. simple.
Is there anything more frustrating that hearing the ump yell "He tried" like it's Year 2 leaderball.

My understanding has always been, that in a ruck contest, the attempt to palm is your prior opportunity. If you grab the ball out of the air, you are already past your prior opportunity.

Ruckman grabs ball and tackled straight away, free kick. Only time it will not be a free kick is if they dispose of the ball without being tackled. Easiest umpiring decision to make.

His worst for the night was the non call of incorrect disposal on King that resulted in a Rowley snap goal. Pretty important time in the game too.

One punter got thrown out of the pub for throwing his chips at the tv at that point!

His chips? That's pretty extreme!

My understanding has always been, that in a ruck contest, the attempt to palm is your prior opportunity. If you grab the ball out of the air, you are already past your prior opportunity.

Ruckman grabs ball and tackled straight away, free kick. Only time it will not be a free kick is if they dispose of the ball without being tackled. Easiest umpiring decision to make.

For some reason, the AFL in their infinite wisdom decided to change the rule so that it isn't holding the ball anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason, the AFL in their infinite wisdom decided to change the rule so that it isn't holding the ball anymore.

Yeah, never quite understood why they did that. They brought it in about 15 years ago and it seemed to be positive.

By getting rid of it you see ruckmen take possession and hold the game up more often than not.

Because Sandi retired so they didn't have to worry about it advantaging him any more.

They also very rarely payed Chopping the arms for Sandi too because let's face it they'd have to pay it every time he was in a marking contest. That's my biggest pet peeve over his career.

They also very rarely payed Chopping the arms for Sandi too because let's face it they'd have to pay it every time he was in a marking contest. That's my biggest pet peeve over his career.

Agreed. That is why it s**t me when people would say he should take more marks. It's like, have you seen the 15 blokes hanging off his arms every time he goes for a mark?

Lol - I had a dream last night that I yelled ‘you cheating umpire, you’re a cheat, a bloody cheat’, at an umpire who was running past after an oppo goal from a glaring poor decision. He heard me, and came back to invite me for a coffee to discuss the matter. I went, and told him again that he was a cheat, and he asked me for examples. All I could think of was Tabs’ mark on the goal line that wasn’t paid. He said, is that it?, and got up and walked out. I was left as frustrated as I feel when watching games, so it was all for nothing.

FMD - even in my dreams... 😖

Lol - I had a dream last night that I yelled ‘you cheating umpire, you’re a cheat, a bloody cheat’, at an umpire who was running past after an oppo goal from a glaring poor decision. He heard me, and came back to invite me for a coffee to discuss the matter. I went, and told him again that he was a cheat, and he asked me for examples. All I could think of was Tabs’ mark on the goal line that wasn’t paid. He said, is that it?, and got up and walked out. I was left as frustrated as I feel when watching games, so it was all for nothing.

FMD - even in my dreams... 😖
You are such a footy nerd haha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back