Discussion Official 2021 Fantasy Planning Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btw, here's a gift for those who were considering starting Dunkley (hopefully this makes your decision that much easier if you haven't read this already):

"Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley is ‘not at his best’ and there’s ‘pressure on for his spot’

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley’s spot in the club’s best 22 isn’t secure, conceding the midfielder is “not at his best at the moment” less than three weeks before Round 1 and four months after his stunning trade request.

A major reason behind Dunkley’s request to join Essendon was to play more midfield minutes after spending more time in the forward line – and occasionally in the ruck – at the Bulldogs in 2020.

And Dunkley might struggle to win more on-ball time in 2021, considering the Bulldogs acquired star Adam Treloar from the Magpies to join a midfield group that already includes Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith and Tom Liberatore.

Speaking on SEN Breakfast on Wednesday, Beveridge said he and Dunkley were “really close”, especially away from the footy club, and had “moved on” from last year’s trade storm.

But a frank Beveridge said Dunkley was not in his best form ahead of the Dogs’ Round 1 clash against Collingwood, despite an excellent pre-season on the training track.

“We have moved on and I have mentioned that whatever the reasons were and the weight of the influence doesn’t really matter anymore,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast. “He has applied himself, he’s trained extremely hard with the rest of the boys.

“He’s not at his best at the moment, as far as his production on the ground. He didn’t play his best game against Hawthorn, so he’s fully aware that there’s pressure for game time in any role in our time.

“Every year, you endeavour to bolster your list, ensure its healthy, create new levels of competitiveness – and that’s what we’ve been able to do bringing Adam in and keeping Josh – so, there’s still pressure on for his spot and the role that he plays. He understands that and he’ll be treated the same as every other player."
I hate it when i'm proven right publicly, would much prefer to have been proven right privately.

I hate it when i'm proven right publicly, would much prefer to have been proven right privately.

In future I'll just send you the link privately first, haha :tonguewink:

Seriously though, I warned people about the 'ol 'Bevogoround' when it comes to the midfield and Dunks. It's why as much as I know he's an absolute gun, that Bevo can't be trusted to give him the minutes needed to reach his true potential. Honestly think Treloar may end up being a hinderance in that sense - a bit like TK was to Guthrie, Duncan and Menegola in 2018/2019

You're going to forgo 12 rounds of one or multiple of those because you're afraid of not having enough players in the Round 14 bye? youre comparing a leak to the roof coming off.
Not at all, I have no intention of doing that and at no point have I stated that.

I'm hardly being as dramatic as you describe, I'm merely pointing out it's a concern that I'll constantly be assessing.

If he doesn't score 70+ against the Eagles this weekend I will probably move on from him.
yes im thinking surely there is someone 100 less who's better

Rory Thompson 170k if fit will play lots

Kosi without Sicily

Briggs 170k when fit

Winder

Worrell

Sharp

Ling

Idun

You dunno on Idun? Or you know no Idun?

source.gif

Lloyd, Laird, Grundy and Rob are pretty durable. Doubt there will be much restructuring there.

In any event, if one of my rucks go down it would be hard to ignore Gawn, who also has the rd 14 bye.

Would rather put some thought into it now and save myself a headache later.

I believe round 14 is the last bye round which is ideal to have premiums in this line

If need be you can trade them to premiums coming off their byes in roud 12/13 that have the entire season in front of them and dont miss another game due to a bye from then onwards

Would be worse if for example you were loaded in the round 12 bye and then were trading those premiums to premiums playing that week that then miss the following week or week after causing alot of sideway trading

I was worried about not having enough premiums from that round 14 bye and still am.

I for example am basically 50/50 split over Docherty vs Laird and for this reason have picked Laird over Docherty plus ive come around to him actually being a better midfielder than i gave credit for and that Doc might not be his usual 100 self anymore fantasy wise

How fun will it be when the players we had in our team 2 months ago end up making it for round 1?

Adams, Treloar, Mitchell, Whitfield.

Any of them being named probably throws everything out the window.

Btw, here's a gift for those who were considering starting Dunkley (hopefully this makes your decision that much easier if you haven't read this already):

"Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley is ‘not at his best’ and there’s ‘pressure on for his spot’

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge says Josh Dunkley’s spot in the club’s best 22 isn’t secure, conceding the midfielder is “not at his best at the moment” less than three weeks before Round 1 and four months after his stunning trade request.

A major reason behind Dunkley’s request to join Essendon was to play more midfield minutes after spending more time in the forward line – and occasionally in the ruck – at the Bulldogs in 2020.

And Dunkley might struggle to win more on-ball time in 2021, considering the Bulldogs acquired star Adam Treloar from the Magpies to join a midfield group that already includes Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Bailey Smith and Tom Liberatore.

Speaking on SEN Breakfast on Wednesday, Beveridge said he and Dunkley were “really close”, especially away from the footy club, and had “moved on” from last year’s trade storm.

But a frank Beveridge said Dunkley was not in his best form ahead of the Dogs’ Round 1 clash against Collingwood, despite an excellent pre-season on the training track.

“We have moved on and I have mentioned that whatever the reasons were and the weight of the influence doesn’t really matter anymore,” Beveridge told SEN Breakfast. “He has applied himself, he’s trained extremely hard with the rest of the boys.

“He’s not at his best at the moment, as far as his production on the ground. He didn’t play his best game against Hawthorn, so he’s fully aware that there’s pressure for game time in any role in our time.

“Every year, you endeavour to bolster your list, ensure its healthy, create new levels of competitiveness – and that’s what we’ve been able to do bringing Adam in and keeping Josh – so, there’s still pressure on for his spot and the role that he plays. He understands that and he’ll be treated the same as every other player."

Wow everything about that sounds like he's out the door end of this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's merrett going?

Dogs have totally screwed the pooch with Dunkley and now have the gall to call him out of form before the season has ever started lol.

Bevo going all-in on chaos ball.
Their handling of Stringer was still worse, but seems they haven't learned.

How much more will Gawn average than Witts ?
I'd put Gawn around 115 (would still be a season PB for him if he did that) and Witts around 95.

Trying to wonder if 20 points is worth $329,000. Using that coin and going Daniher up to Dusty, or Cumming up to Docherty would be a better spend in my opinnion.

I'd put Gawn around 115 (would still be a season PB for him if he did that) and Witts around 95.

Trying to wonder if 20 points is worth $329,000. Probably not at this stage.
Gawn 120+, Witts 90 if he's fit. Trouble is there's a good chance he might not play the entire season whereas I'd be comfortable in backing Max to do so.

Trying to wonder if 20 points is worth $329,000. Probably not at this stage. Using that coin and going Daniher up to Dusty, or Cumming up to Docherty would be a better spend in my opinnion.

If Witts' averages 95 his price will improve, which would allow you to make upgrades elsewhere. I guess questions for this move are A) are you factoring in Gawn captaincy, who are your alternatives; B) who would you swap Witts for down the line to fund the improvements elsewhere; C) does Dusty/Docherty create more points given A?

Gawn 120+, Witts 90 if he's fit. Trouble is there's a good chance he might not play the entire season whereas I'd be comfortable in backing Max to do so.
The best Max has been in 20 minute quarters is 111. And at 29, I don't know if he has it in him to suddenly become a 120+ Ruck.
I think Witts can return to 95+ and even higher. He generates a high percentage of higher percentage of his score from hitouts than most rucks, so less contests and shorter quarters compounded a poor season from him last year.

Also Witts hasn't missed a game in about 3 years

The best Max has been in 20 minute quarters is 111. And at 29, I don't know if he has it in him to suddenly become a 120+ Ruck.
I think Witts can return to 95+ and even higher. He generates a high percentage of higher percentage of his score from hitouts than most rucks, so less contests and shorter quarters compounded a poor season from him last year.

Also Witts hasn't missed a game in about 3 years
You do make some good points and I don't disagree with what you're saying. Personally I'm bullish on Max because of his good early run, captain potential, 29 is the literal prime of his career and Melbourne as a team should be improving as a whole.

Fair point about Witts - I thought he had missed more. But he has definitely played injury affected which has affected his output.

You do make some good points and I don't disagree with what you're saying. Personally I'm bullish on Max because of his good early run, captain potential, 29 is the literal prime of his career and Melbourne as a team should be improving as a whole.

Fair point about Witts - I thought he had missed more. But he has definitely played injury affected which has affected his output.
The thing that has me a little more bullish on Witts is that he scores a larger portion of his points (44%) from hit-outs compared to other ruckmen.
Longer quarters and more stoppages should benefit him more than it does other Ruckman when comparing 2020 to 2021.

You were doing so well until the last point :roflv1:

Trying to wonder if 20 points is worth $329,000. Using that coin and going Daniher up to Dusty, or Cumming up to Docherty would be a better spend in my opinnion.
"Trying to wonder if 20 points is worth $329,000"

329K is the equivalent of 43.1 points. I guess that 20 points becomes 40 with the (C) on.

Rookies:

According to me, in order, most likely to line up at this stage are:

Flynn
Gulden
Downie
Cox
H Jones
Powell
L Henry
O Henry
Brockman
E Smith
Campbell
-------------------
Waterman
Perkins
Evans
Thilthorpe
Phillips
L McDonald
Gould
Bianco
Highmore
Ruscoe
N Cahill

Below the line players are borderline/unlikely. But, really, who knows! Thilthorpe impressed and could get elevated. I think Tex and Frampton are certain to play, so the choice will be between Himmelberg, Fogarty (average the other day) and Thilthorpe.

Evans would be unlikely I suppose but he looked handy. Maybe W Phillips isn't ready. Gould not overly impressive. Bianco attended 9 (I think) cba's in a row but many centre bounces at that stage also had the Browns and D Cameron attending, so I'm not reading anything into that. Highmore is on an extended bench tomorrow, so is unlikely, although he went alright. Ruscoe looked ok too but also unlikely.

I generally end up starting with 15 rookies, but at this stage am only confident of about 11. Perhaps there will be a few like Corr last year, who did pretty well without really being a Fantasy type. Someone like Ambrose (235K) for example, although I think he is currently injured.

Ps. it will nice to see the all-important 'points per minute' stats this week. Very hard to judge guys when you don't know their playing time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back