Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

His ticket was the catalyst for an EGM, without that no meeting would have occurred.

By pulling his ticket and/or waiting for the AGM, he has effectively removed the premise of an EGM

well it seems everyone took over ownership of that members survey or whatever it was. If browne wanted an EGM he should have asked the people in the know how it should be done rather than leaving it to a fat bloke standing outside stadium. He's always looked like he wanted the presidency handed to him on a plate

Well he was and probably still a Dictator at Collingwood

I think you should be careful using words such as dictator when referring to anyone. For all of Eds flaws, he did a lot of good for the club and the community…

well it seems everyone took over ownership of that members survey or whatever it was. If browne wanted an EGM he should have asked the people in the know how it should be done rather than leaving it to a fat bloke standing outside stadium. He's always looked like he wanted the presidency handed to him on a plate
Agreed, I feel as though Browne thought the fact that the club was a shambles for the best part of the last 12 months, that he would garner enough public support to be able to just waltz on in, to the top job.

Im actually proud of the current board and their ability to hold their ground. General feel is that the club is healing and moving toward a better future. Kids are looking good, wins on the board ans hopefully a strong end to the season with a great Coach signing on.

don’t think you can ask much more than that.

I think you should be careful using words such as dictator when referring to anyone. For all of Eds flaws, he did a lot of good for the club and the community…

Agreed, I feel as though Browne thought the fact that the club was a shambles for the best part of the last 12 months, that he would garner enough public support to be able to just waltz on in, to the top job.

Im actually proud of the current board and their ability to hold their ground. General feel is that the club is healing and moving toward a better future. Kids are looking good, wins on the board ans hopefully a strong end to the season with a great Coach signing on.

don’t think you can ask much more than that.

I dont disagree. I keep visualising this bloke browne sitting in his toorak mansion waiting for a crown to be delivered...if you had to choose which bloke wanted the presidency more, korda would be winning by the flemington straight

I don't accept that Korda was not culpable in our mess. We will have to respectfully disagree there.

See link below for the 2019 Annual financial report by our auditors (ie before Covid times). This gives an insight into the level the Finance Director + CFO would be cross. It’s 37 pages of high level financial stuff and the player salary cap is not even a line item (it’s all consolidated into “teams expenses” which will include the $10 millionish for salary cap, $6.5 millionish for soft cap, and the expenses for the netball, VFL, VFLW and AFLW teams).

Getting stuck into the weeds of what individual players would be getting over a period of time, and how that fits within their value to the team is just not at the level that the Finance Director (or CFO, or anybody within the CFO’s reporting structure) would be getting involved with.

The list manager would be within the footy department structure.

It looks to me from a list management point of view that we did absolutely nothing at the end of 2017 to alleviate any cap issue. Jesse White and Sinclair were the only two senior players who exited the list and they didn't do so for cap reasons.

Lachlan Keeffe (DFA)
Liam Mackie (del)
Mitch McCarthy (del)
Adam Oxley (del)
Jackson Ramsay (del)
Henry Schade (del)
Ben Sinclair (ret)
Jesse White (ret)

Yeah, that’s a shame we didn’t do more. But hey, if we’d had one more straight kick in the 2018 GF then nobody would be complaining.

I share your concerns about both Korda (plus some) and Brown. I share your wish for another third party candidate. This is exactly why the board needed to run a due process to find the best candidate rather than just appoint their man. The board let us down. A clean slate was needed after what went on in the Ed-Korda years. To me, it's frustrating we are even having this discussion.

I think a lot of the issues stem from the supporters / members not feeling connected to the club, or not feeling like the club is being accountable to them. Korda could be handling things a bit differently to avoid some of that angst. Ed was a master of it when he was President.

Anyway, practical member engagement has improved out of sight this year, so maybe the club are on the right track.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dare to dream, the Collingwood way.

“You have to remember that Collingwood has been in six grand finals since 2000. This is more than any other club. In terms of the number of grand finals, we have been successful. You can tick that box." Mark Korda.

It’s an absolute joke the amount of red tape to be able to challenge democratically to join the board.
it’s no surprise that members at other clubs such as now Carlton and even Hawthorn are starting also push back against boards who have become drunk with power.
They have all forgotten what their sole purpose is and what they are there to do.

It’s starting to become AFLs version of the European Super League where fans rallied against owners of clubs...here these guys aren’t even the owners and they still pull far too much rank.
The power shift needs to come back to the members as it was designed

It’s an absolute joke the amount of red tape to be able to challenge democratically to join the board.
it’s no surprise that members at other clubs such as now Carlton and even Hawthorn are starting also push back against boards who have become drunk with power.
They have all forgotten what their sole purpose is and what they are there to do.

It’s starting to become AFLs version of the European Super League where fans rallied against owners of clubs...here these guys aren’t even the owners and they still pull far too much rank.
\

The fact is that the pie setup is probably one of the most democratic. Most of the interstate clubs have very little voting rights for members and some melbourne clubs like essendon have directors who are voted in by the other directors.

I think it's been said about 100 times in these threads that Pie members had no voting rights for 20 years because no one would throw their hat in the ring....

Dare to dream, the Collingwood way.

“You have to remember that Collingwood has been in six grand finals since 2000. This is more than any other club. In terms of the number of grand finals, we have been successful. You can tick that box." Mark Korda.
Cwood's historic GF win rate is ~ 33% -(my lifetime ~ 18%)- a tick for getting there - then too much heartache - need a ruthless approach - why would a president say that losing 4 GFs is "being successful"?

Last edited:

Re: Carlton, I find it incredible that there has not been a challenge to the board any time over the last two decades of shocking onfield performances.

Re: Hawks, Let’s see what happens.

Members are not a homogenous entity with a singular opinion.

Take your example of Hawthorn. Yes, there will be members who will be peeved at letting Clarkson go. And they will be vocal. But there will also be members who are perfectly happy with Mitchell. And they won’t be vocal. Which ones do you think the club should listen to?

Or should the club be democratic and take a vote from the members about who the coach should be? Imagine what a circus that would be!

Re: Carlton, I find it incredible that there has not been a challenge to the board any time over the last two decades of shocking onfield performances.

Take your example of Hawthorn. Yes, there will be members who will be peeved at letting Clarkson go. And they will be vocal. But there will also be members who are perfectly happy with Mitchell. And they won’t be vocal. Which ones do you think the club should listen to?

Or should the club be democratic and take a vote from the members about who the coach should be? Imagine what a circus that would be!

It would be ironic if football clubs started polling members about who should be coach, while governments continue to send people off to war and eventual death without even surveying them. Methinks people should pursue democracy where it really matters.

Methinks people should pursue democracy where it really matters.

Or maybe clubs should use democracy where it really doesn’t matter?

For example: Vote for our 2022 scarf design!

So Browne clearly trying to find a way to spill all Board positions at the AGM and Korda says he welcomes Browne's position that voting on 3 positions at the AGM is the right path :rolleyes:

It makes you think that there’s more to play out here, doesn’t it?

Neither should be listened too so long as the board have faith in the process.

FWIW the ones backing Mitchell are right to remain quiet because of the way in which history is repeating our mistakes with Buckley. I mean Clarko would have stayed on another 3-5 years easily by which time the next perceived generational coach in Pendles could be on the market…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back