Draft Watcher Smythe's 2021 Draft Thread - Full Phantom with pick swaps post #295

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have plenty to play with and offer clubs in need of points so I reckon you will trade up even after what console said. I know the plan is to use the first 2 but you may move up the board I think To get the big guys you are after, especially with Ashcroft and fletcher coming next year (as you have pointed out previously) although there are also a few other big guys coming through that will go later in the draft.
Clearly you should be doing the phantom draft other people want you to do.

SEPTEMBER TOP 40
SEPTEMBER TOP 40

1. Nick Daicos
2. Jason Horne-Francis
3. Sam Darcy
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Ben Hobbs
6. Josh Ward
7. Niel Erasmus
8. Mac Andrew
9. Josh Gibcus
10. Arlo Draper
11. Josh Goater
12. Josh Rachele
13. Josh Sinn
14. Darcy Wilmot
15. Josh Fahey
16. Sam Butler
17. Jye Amiss
18. Matt Roberts
19. Tyler Sonsie
20. Campbell Chesser
21. Jacob Van Rooyen
22. Ned Long
23. Mitch Knevitt
24. Matt Johnson
25. Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera
26. Zac Taylor
27. Rhett Bazzo
28. Mitch Owens
29. Tom Brown
30. Bodhi Uwland
31. Jesse Motlop
32. Jack Williams
33. Marcus Windhager
34. Toby Conway
35. Cooper Macdonald
36. Blake Howes
37. Corey Warner
38. Lewis Rayson
39. Judson Clarke
40. Morgan Ferres

Last edited:
SEPTEMBER FIRST ROUND PHANTOM
1ST ROUND PHANTOM + Gc Compo

1. Nick Daicos - Coll (BID MATCHED)
2. Jason Horne-Francis - Nth
3. Sam Darcy - Wb (BID MATCHED)
4. Finn Callaghan - Gws
5. Josh Sinn - Gc
6. Arlo Draper - Adel
7. Ben Hobbs - Haw
8. Josh Goater - Carl
9. Josh Ward - Rich
10. Josh Gibcus - Freo
11. Mac Andrew - Stk
12. Jye Amiss - Wce
13. Neil Erasmus - Ess
14. Darcy Wilmot - Syd
15. Sam Butler - Gws
16. Jacob Van Rooyen - Bris
17. Josh Rachele - Rich
18. Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera - Port
19. Josh Fahey - Gws (BID MATCHED)
20. Rhett Bazzo - Bris
21. Campbell Chesser - Gc (COMPO)

4. Finn Callaghan - Gws
5. Josh Sinn - Gc
6. Arlo Draper - Adel
7. Ben Hobbs - Haw
8. Josh Goater - Carl
9. Josh Ward - Rich
10. Josh Gibcus - Freo
11. Mac Andrew - Stk
12. Jye Amiss - Wce
13. Neil Erasmus - Ess
14. Darcy Wilmot - Syd
15. Sam Butler - Gws
17. Josh Rachele - Rich
20. Rhett Bazzo - Bris

IF it wasn’t GWS at live pick 2, do you think Darcy drops to pick 4 or stays at 3?

The Eagles pick Amiss over Erasmus? Are you trying to wind Eagles fans up? Richmond gets really lucky having Rachele slide all the way to 17.

The Eagles pick Amiss over Erasmus? Are you trying to wind Eagles fans up? Richmond gets really lucky having Rachele slide all the way to 17.
Thats what i was thinking with Rachele, Erasmus and Amiss will probably be gone by the eagles pick, One of them to freo if not both since they will most likely get Carltons pick though im not sure they would pick 2 key forwards

Curious that Johnson produces a game that was arguably best in ground at the under 19s, and then you have him sliding.

I'm also not getting why Fremantle, who are confirmed losing Cerra and with a forward line crisis, would opt for a KPD. Also worth noting that if we were drafting a KPD WA 19s had Van Rooyen and Bazzo who dominated the role.

4. Finn Callaghan - Gws
5. Josh Sinn - Gc
6. Arlo Draper - Adel
7. Ben Hobbs - Haw
8. Josh Goater - Carl
9. Josh Ward - Rich
10. Josh Gibcus - Freo
11. Mac Andrew - Stk
12. Jye Amiss - Wce
13. Neil Erasmus - Ess
14. Darcy Wilmot - Syd
15. Sam Butler - Gws
17. Josh Rachele - Rich
20. Rhett Bazzo - Bris

Freo won’t take a key defender

I may be way off, but Erasmus was definitely under consideration, and may be gone by then, but what i went with was the clearly best KPF in the comp. Eagles need replenishing of the stocks there as Williams is not filling the need and both Darling and kennedy will be gone soon enough, and with next years draft being mainly mids, this is the best chance of filling that need with the best available in the role. There are plenty of mids after this point in the draft to get and next year too.
What i think may happen but didn't include in here as it is just a 'plain' first round phantom, is that wce may go (if available) erasmus and try to trade back in to pick up Amiss. I didn't do any of that (and please understand why, as it can become pretty convoluted and complex) as i just wanted to keep it plain and simple for the mock.
BUT, that is my justification for the WCE pick here on this mock, for the rest of this draft and next years you may not get another chance at the best KPF in the draft that is the best available in that role and fits a need. Plenty of other mids to grab later and/or next year, however, as i said before, they may go Erasmus and try to trade back in to get Amiss.

4. Finn Callaghan - Gws
5. Josh Sinn - Gc
6. Arlo Draper - Adel
7. Ben Hobbs - Haw
8. Josh Goater - Carl
9. Josh Ward - Rich
10. Josh Gibcus - Freo
11. Mac Andrew - Stk
12. Jye Amiss - Wce
13. Neil Erasmus - Ess
14. Darcy Wilmot - Syd
15. Sam Butler - Gws
17. Josh Rachele - Rich
20. Rhett Bazzo - Bris
As a Richmond fan i think we make out like bandits on that, Would be super happy to see it come true

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a Richmond fan i think we make out like bandits on that, Would be super happy to see it come true
Yeah, it does seem that way, when doing this one, the cards fell the way they did and i couldnt see Rachele being further down the line so i had him go there, but in reality i dont think he falls that far (although, wouldnt be surprised) and i only picked him in that position for Richmond as i see a need for another small fwd who could go in the middle for a chop out and in those positions he was best available. Sinn is the key here to this years draft......because of the skills he has, but lack of exposure he could go anywhere and on this i had him going to Gc and then with Adel taking Draper because of his upside and the same with Goater to Carlton, it therefore left Ward to slip a few.

Curious that Johnson produces a game that was arguably best in ground at the under 19s, and then you have him sliding.

I'm also not getting why Fremantle, who are confirmed losing Cerra and with a forward line crisis, would opt for a KPD. Also worth noting that if we were drafting a KPD WA 19s had Van Rooyen and Bazzo who dominated the role.
I didn't see his game going that way, yes he was good, but, seemed a bit laconic at times and the competition was not great anyway. It was not a very good game all round with lots of loose checking by many players. I personally liked Devon Robertson (bris) as well, but he slid because of his kicking, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Johnson slip (if only slightly) because of his in game drifting and sometimes loose checking....although lets see how he goes in further champs games (fingers crossed).
With Freo, Gibcus is IMO better than both JVR (turning out to be a great swingman) and Bazzo cutting off forrays in that defensive role. Bazzo showed great form against a very weak SA forward line and we know you dont have to pick someone just because they are from your own state. AND if Freo were to get that compo pick after their own first i would see them using that for Amiss.
But they currently don't have that pick and are in need of a big KPD with only Cox there, Chapman will hopefully be good but only played 4 games, Logue is getting better, then you have Pearce who is a good footballer but old now and injured a fair bit and Hamling is very similar, unreliable, there is a big hole or two in your defensive six IMO and Gibcus is a top 10-12 prospect this year and the best KPD in it.
With two picks in succession, (what freo likely will do) if Erasmus is there he will probably be picked and then Amiss to help out your forwards, but this mock is a plain mock, no trading or adding picks that are not there yet and done IMO of who should be picked.

4. Finn Callaghan - Gws
5. Josh Sinn - Gc
6. Arlo Draper - Adel
7. Ben Hobbs - Haw
8. Josh Goater - Carl
9. Josh Ward - Rich
10. Josh Gibcus - Freo
11. Mac Andrew - Stk
12. Jye Amiss - Wce
13. Neil Erasmus - Ess
14. Darcy Wilmot - Syd
15. Sam Butler - Gws
17. Josh Rachele - Rich
20. Rhett Bazzo - Bris
Waiting for the fans of both WA teams to bring fire and pitch forks.

Of the players still available at our picks I'd prefer Nasaiah Wanganeen-Milera and Campbell Chesser please. :D
Think I’d prefer one of Jacob Van Rooyen or Bazzo at our second pick.

I’m really starting to believe we’ll need a backup/replacement for Gardiner, who has had shoulder surgery every offseason for the past 3 years, and surgery in season this year.

I’m really starting to believe we’ll need a backup/replacement for Gardiner, who has had shoulder surgery every offseason for the past 3 years, and surgery in season this year.
Yep I flirted with that idea... we do need key forward and defence depth, if you could only take one of Chesser and Wanganeen-Milera who would you opt for?

4. Finn Callaghan - Gws
5. Josh Sinn - Gc
6. Arlo Draper - Adel
7. Ben Hobbs - Haw
8. Josh Goater - Carl
9. Josh Ward - Rich
10. Josh Gibcus - Freo
11. Mac Andrew - Stk
12. Jye Amiss - Wce
13. Neil Erasmus - Ess
14. Darcy Wilmot - Syd
15. Sam Butler - Gws
17. Josh Rachele - Rich
20. Rhett Bazzo - Bris

Hobbs is the last player I want from the guys in top 10 contention. He'd just he ANOTHER inside mid lacking in pace which is practically our entire midfield already.

I'd be wanting Goater, Ward, Erasmus, Rachele or Sonsie at that pick personally.

I didn't see his game going that way, yes he was good, but, seemed a bit laconic at times and the competition was not great anyway. It was not a very good game all round with lots of loose checking by many players. I personally liked Devon Robertson (bris) as well, but he slid because of his kicking, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Johnson slip (if only slightly) because of his in game drifting and sometimes loose checking....although lets see how he goes in further champs games (fingers crossed).
With Freo, Gibcus is IMO better than both JVR (turning out to be a great swingman) and Bazzo cutting off forrays in that defensive role. Bazzo showed great form against a very weak SA forward line and we know you dont have to pick someone just because they are from your own state. AND if Freo were to get that compo pick after their own first i would see them using that for Amiss.
But they currently don't have that pick and are in need of a big KPD with only Cox there, Chapman will hopefully be good but only played 4 games, Logue is getting better, then you have Pearce who is a good footballer but old now and injured a fair bit and Hamling is very similar, unreliable, there is a big hole or two in your defensive six IMO and Gibcus is a top 10-12 prospect this year and the best KPD in it.
With two picks in succession, (what freo likely will do) if Erasmus is there he will probably be picked and then Amiss to help out your forwards, but this mock is a plain mock, no trading or adding picks that are not there yet and done IMO of who should be picked.
Johnson primarily lined up against Horne-Francis at centre bounces in the first half where he laconically thrashed him. But regardless, Erasmus would be a great fit as well, along with a raft of other non-KPDs.

Our defence has Logue, Young and Chapman all as high first round picks. Old Man Pearce as you describe him is 26. It is the deepest area of our list. Up forward we rely on the equally injury prone Taberner and Lobb (both 29) plus 19 year old Treacy. There is no one else after them.

I think your Fremantle predictions are way off.

Last edited:
Johnson primarily lined up against Horne-Francis at centre bounces in the first half where he laconically thrashed him. But regardless, Erasmus would be a great fit as well, along with a raft of other non-KPDs.

Our defence has Logue, Young and Chapman all as high first round picks. Old Man Pearce as you describe him is 26. It is the deepest area of our list. Up forward we rely on the equally injury prone Taberner and Lobb (both 29) plus 19 year old Treacy. There is no one else after them.

I think your Fremantle predictions are way off.
Firstly, neither JHF or Johnson looked to be trying to hard, and played off each other...A LOT, there was huge leg rope between them, and whilst he did beat him on the day there were patches where Johnson was in the wrong spot and looked a bit disinterested. I think he had a good game and showed why he is a top talent this year, Essendon would be a good fit, sydney too, but in this mock the cards fell a different way with others being available and/or not available.

If you read what i said about freo i was saying its just IMO, and my opinion on their back 6 is not wrong in any sense but you are also allowed to staunchly defend it. Im not saying freo will do this, its just waht i think they should do.
BUT what i also said that what i think FREO will do, especially if given the second pick, is go Erasmus and Amiss, covering those needs as you have put....and actually so did i.
I also posted that IMO there are 1 or 2 holes in your back 6....as you have named 3, which i think i mentioned them all also, name another 3.... Pearce is 26 yes but will be an injury proned 27 year old who cannot get through half a season (don't get me wrong, when he is playing and fit he is a solid def) and Hamling...pfft, leaving 1 or 2 holes in their back 6. i don't see where that is wrong, its just fact. Then on the list there is nothing, maybe they try to get bazzo before their second or if available (possible but not likely if bazzo continues this recent form) at their second. there is also polson and a few other overagers available at the end or in rookie for them to give a go.
In your opinion do you think Lobb will leave, i hear there is a chance? that would leave another big hole down forward.

Hobbs is the last player I want from the guys in top 10 contention. He'd just he ANOTHER inside mid lacking in pace which is practically our entire midfield already.

I'd be wanting Goater, Ward, Erasmus, Rachele or Sonsie at that pick personally.
Goater, Ward and Erasmus big chances to go at that spot, i think that it would be too high for Rachele and Sonsie.

I was thinking along the same lines, but also with a dearth of mids and wingers in your team and next year ashcroft etc and the lack of KPP and/or developing KPP's i went with JVR who is showing himself to be an excellent swingman DEF/FWD and then Bazzo as a taller intercepting def to add to the stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back