Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not sure who are left for PSD targets for North.

Casboult/Cox? The best tall forward.
Brander? The best utility.
Dumont? The best defensive mid.
Ronke? The best small forward.
LOB? The best outside mid.

Will depend on where they place their highest need. Interested in seeing Luffs strategy playing out here.

We won't use the PSD, there's no need to.

I'd have a look at pick 42 for Richmond's future 3rd after matching the Daicos bid.

Does North have any F/S, academy players next year?

It is quite obvious there was no strategy to use this advantage by the North list management team this trade and draft period. A bit of a miss in this regard.

It's been reported that CCJ and his management requested that he wasn't walked to the PSD.

Hilarious the backtracking from Richmond supporters, ready and waiting to hang CCJ by the lamp post if he walked to the PSD.

When he actually does what most of you hoped he might do, it's suddenly a failure of the North list management team.

Comes off as salty tbh.

Last edited:
It is quite obvious there was no strategy to use this advantage by the North list management team this trade and draft period. A bit of a miss in this regard.
Looking at the list of players taken in the PSD it really is not a miss. The only half decent player taken was when the Suns refused to trade Martin to the Blues. The rest are list cloggers.

Looking at the list of players taken in the PSD it really is not a miss. The only half decent player taken was when the Suns refused to trade Martin to the Blues. The rest are list cloggers.
It’s not about the players taken in the PSD necessarily, but the leverage to bring players over via trades for unders.

North fans are well aware of the leverage this should bring in trades as they have been talking about constantly throughout trade period.

As North posters were informed by Tigers posters en masse, walking players to the PSD never happens and that's true for teams that deal in good faith. No point having a strategy or position like this when there's nothing to bring in, not to mention squad size is at a premium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As North posters were informed by Tigers posters en masse, walking players to the PSD never happens and that's true for teams that deal in good faith. No point having a strategy or position like this when there's nothing to bring in, not to mention squad size is at a premium.

I just find it hard to believe that with over a third of AFL players out of contract at the start of 2021, the only player North we’re targeting to bring in was CCJ.

I saw their ladder position as a great opportunity to bring in a player on good coin but lower than market trade value because of the PSD leverage they had. They obviously couldn’t attract a player or didn’t want to. It’s no big deal, but I just saw it as a good opportunity to enhance the squad at little cost.

And North were very accomodating on what they gave Richmond for CCJ. My expectation was they got the deal done quickly and gave more than they had to because they had another target in mind.

I just find it hard to believe that with over a third of AFL players out of contract at the start of 2021, the only player North we’re targeting to bring in was CCJ.

I saw their ladder position as a great opportunity to bring in a player on good coin but lower than market trade value because of the PSD leverage they had. They obviously couldn’t attract a player or didn’t want to. It’s no big deal, but I just saw it as a good opportunity to enhance the squad at little cost.

And North were very accomodating on what they gave Richmond for CCJ. My expectation was they got the deal done quickly and gave more than they had to because they had another target in mind.

Maybe we are happy with what we have these days?

I reckon it's nice not to be seen as the club desperate to spend its cap at all costs, it's a measured rebuild through the draft. CCJ fits a need and age profile, and shown enormous potential. Trust the media and then we made a big offer for a true elite in Josh Kelly, then went back to business. I think next year we'll start to be a bigger player in the market once we've locked away some important contracts (Thomas, Cunnington, Zurhaar etc).

As for the CCJ trade I think we gave up a pick along the line we didn't need to (whether it was the third or future second) but it's easy to forget we got a player we rated out of it. While I don't subscribe to points value unless you're going for a bid, the system is still there so the trade rated CCJ as pick 38. The machinations are strange as we could have just given 38 but perhaps the extra pick this year was important, and maybe we're prepared if Cooper Harvey is a top 25 player next year, it is always achievable to trade back in. None of us really know. It's really just an average run of the mill trade.

I'd be excited if I was a North fan, but I can't believe Noble knocked back Adelaide's offer.

The draft has many stories of SANFL finals performers who don't amount to anything, high picks.

Having pick 4 + pick 2022 (say pick 6) + your pick (say pick 2) plus melb (pick 18) is an unbelievable draft hand.

I watched Horne play a game earlier this year with my mate Scotty who's a North fan, I said watch this kid, he'll be playing for you next year.

Well Horne got 6 touches that game, including just 2 kicks. It was a wet winter night, but old man Richard Douglas got 25 kicks ( 5 handballs) for comparison.

I'm not saying he won't be a gun, but just a reminder that he may take a couple of years, and will have bad games early.

I'll still be watching him closely for North though, hopefully he can fill his potential.

On Pixel 3 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'd be excited if I was a North fan, but I can't believe Noble knocked back Adelaide's offer.

The draft has many stories of SANFL finals performers who don't amount to anything, high picks.

Having pick 4 + pick 2022 (say pick 6) + your pick (say pick 2) plus melb (pick 18) is an unbelievable draft hand.

I watched Horne play a game earlier this year with my mate Scotty who's a North fan, I said watch this kid, he'll be playing for you next year.

Well Horne got 6 touches that game, including just 2 kicks. It was a wet winter night, but old man Richard Douglas got 25 kicks ( 5 handballs) for comparison.

I'm not saying he won't be a gun, but just a reminder that he may take a couple of years, and will have bad games early.

I'll still be watching him closely for North though, hopefully he can fill his potential.

Not really to simplify Melbourne’s pick next year would effectively be cancelled out by our second rounder that we were going to give back

so it was essentially Horne for (Gibcus/best of the rest at pick 4) plus adelaides first pick next year

I’m taking the close to sure thing in Horne

At first it looked a great deal but going off this years results:

Roos give up - pick 1 and pick 21
Roos receive - pick 6, 5 and 20.

So really its Horne for pick 6 & 5. This draft is so wide open after the top 3 that Im not sure giving up JHF would be worth it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back