List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rory Lobb is currently ranked the 8th best key forward in the league.

Do not want to sell the farm for any player normally - but Luke might be an exception IF Lobb is gone.

Jackson has not set the world on fire this season but maybe he has mentally switched out already - who knows? Unless a player is involved, he will cost us 2022 and 2023 1sts. A big ask, especially for a club that really likes to retain its highest picks.

Sam Edmund video on SEN on YouTube. On my phone, so not sure how to post it here, sorry

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
7 years would s**t me off, especially if it’s good money as well, which I assume it would be or he wouldn’t sign that long

Would love Jackson! And I would happily replace him with Lobb. The kid is what, 21? Yeah, you don’t want to F with team chemistry atm but imagine having this kid for the next ten years.

His game against GC was awesome and the inconsistencies should be expected but we’ve all seen enough to know he’s a talent. Plus in terms of talls why he isn’t he getting the leeway like other big men? They can take years to develop.

Would love Jackson! And I would happily replace him with Lobb. The kid is what, 21? Yeah, you don’t want to F with team chemistry atm but imagine having this kid for the next ten years.

His game against GC was awesome and the inconsistencies should be expected but we’ve all seen enough to know he’s a talent. Plus in terms of talls why he isn’t he getting the leeway like other big men? They can take years to develop.
For better or worse, many Freo supporters have Big Fish PTSD.

Done right, many big fish acquisitions have been the difference maker in getting a flag or not - Melbourne get no where near a flag without May and Lever.

I think there is strict criteria for big pick-ups
  • Be entering a window, not exiting - ie Tim Kelly
  • Have 5+ years of quality football left
  • Address an actual need (If Lobb leaves, he does)
  • Have the core of your list set-up already

We tick all the boxes in my criteria

For better or worse, many Freo supporters have Big Fish PTSD.

Done right, many big fish acquisitions have been the difference maker in getting a flag or not - Melbourne get no where near a flag without May and Lever.

I think there is strict criteria for big pick-ups
  • Be entering a window, not exiting - ie Tim Kelly
  • Have 5+ years of quality football left
  • Address an actual need (If Lobb leaves, he does)
  • Have the core of your list set-up already

We tick all the boxes in my criteria
Yes but the big fish should also be a proven player. Jackson is not and speculation is based on potential which makes it a risky trade. How does getting a 7 yr contract on big money influence his development and drive from a mindset pov?

Where does this leave Meek and Treacy??
Meek is never going to be a forward/ruck IMO. His position at Freo is always going to be depth ruck, if he wants a first ruck gig he'll need to find a new club. I dont think Jackson changes the current situation.

Treacy would be fighting with Logue and Amiss for the 2nd tall spot or wait until Tabs gets injured / retires. There could even be a scenario where a forwardline with three of Logue/Amiss/Tabs/Treacy works

Last edited:
Yes but the big fish should also be a proven player. Jackson is not and speculation is based on potential which makes it a risky trade. How does getting a 7 yr contract on big money influence his development and drive from a mindset pov?
Yep, good point, I am against a 7 year contract, it's never a good idea

he's having a crackerjack of a year and we should all make no bones about it - would be a huge loss at the end of the year. The way he's tracking he could get up to 40 goals if fit I reckon. I'm sure his best is only 27. He's been a lot stronger in pressure acts too, laying wayyyy more tackles than he used to (or least attempting to)

I don't know why but I'm not wholly sold on Jackson - from what I saw against the Dees when we beat them, he looked a bit lacklustre. Darcy left him in the cold a few times, especially when he got his goal. Could have been an 'offday' for him I suppose, all players have them. Admittedly, I haven't seen him since but I dunno....I suppose he's young if it were to transpire, but I agree with Snuff - 7 years seems ludicrous and unnecessary. Especially from the pay point of view. I can only imagine this will eventuate because Lobb is leaving which at least frees up a good chunk of salary space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's having a crackerjack of a year and we should all make no bones about it - would be a huge loss at the end of the year. The way he's tracking he could get up to 40 goals if fit I reckon. I'm sure his best is only 27. He's been a lot stronger in pressure acts too, laying wayyyy more tackles than he used to (or least attempting to)

Yes, career high is 29 goals and 158 hit outs for what critics would say is a ruck/fwd role.

Currently on 21 goals and 105 hit outs this season.

Easily his best to date.

Still contracted end of this season. Vastly outperforms Jackson in the same role and Jackson is out of contract.

Straight swap

... Is a reasonable starting point.

Rather keep Lobb..keep him on the same money for two year contract.

Develop Amiss and Treacy. Treacy may leave this year though.

Get what we can out of Tabs and Logue out on the field.
Why would Treacy leave. He’s contracted for 2023

Yes, career high is 29 goals and 158 hit outs for what critics would say is a ruck/fwd role.

Easily his best to date.

Still contracted end of this season. Vastly outperforms Jackson in the same role and Jackson is out of contract.

Turning a player committed to leaving into a ready made quality replacement should have Melbourne frothing given their forwardline issues but at the same time, the contracted status is diminished given they’ll know we are getting Jackson with the idea that we can’t keep Lobb at the same time (at least, it wouldn’t be a good idea). The 9 year age gap is also a massive value gap. If we are dumb enough to offer a 7 year contract at good money, that would also * us.

Assuming he nominates us, the trade games are going to be interesting

This clearly demonstrates why these player rankings are a complete joke.

We have the best (well, technically second best to Melbourne) defence in the AFL this year and in the top 20 key defenders our best is Cox at 17. The only other is Logue at 18 and he's not even playing as a defender now. Alex Pearce doesn't crack a mention. The Eagles, who are an absolute shambles, have McGovern at 2 and Barrass at 10.

In general defenders we don't even have one player in the top 20.

We all (rightly) think we have problems in attack, but we have the number 8 key forward in Lobb and number 2 (Switkowski), 11 (Frederick) and 15 (Schultz) general forwards.

Our midfielders don't fare much better - Brodie is 15 in midfielders, Acres 4 on the wing and Darcy 5 in the ruck.

So if we're looking at these ratings it's obvious we are very weak in the midfield and defence, but pretty much covered in the forward line. Let's get these lists to Walls so he can get the priorities right on draft night :)

Jackson only looks good when Melbourne fires. Losing Lobb is a huge step backwards.

Then he’ll be fine with us as we’re firing most of the time. Jackson is a ten-year player while Lobb maybe three, if he stays. Jackson still has a heap of development to go. Back our system to get him playing consistently at an elite level

Turning a player committed to leaving into a ready made quality replacement should have Melbourne frothing given their forwardline issues but at the same time, the contracted status is diminished given they’ll know we are getting Jackson with the idea that we can’t keep Lobb at the same time (at least, it wouldn’t be a good idea). The 9 year age gap is also a massive value gap. If we are dumb enough to offer a 7 year contract at good money, that would also * us.

Assuming he nominates us, the trade games are going to be interesting

This is why I want Jackson to go to Bali after their last game and not be in touch with anyone, or his management, until late in the piece. Lobb is a required player until Jackson nominates Freo. Jackson is worth a fortune to Melbourne until they think West Coast will get him for free.

If Melbourne want Lobb we say they need to talk Jackson into coming to Freo as part of the deal.

If we want Jackson and Melbourne say we need to talk Lobb into being part of that deal we are in a poor position leverage wise.

But Lobb is outperforming Jackson in the same role, in an equally performing team.

Easily his best to date.

Moneyball it...

Roary is at prime selling time of his career.

Jackson is at prime buying time.

All this hangs on both of them wanting to move.

I love Roary.

Jackson is a tantalising punt.

Last edited:
This is why I want Jackson to go to Bali after their last game and not be in touch with anyone, or his management, until late in the piece. Lobb is a required player until Jackson nominates Freo. Jackson is worth a fortune to Melbourne until they think West Coast will get him for free.

If Melbourne want Lobb we say they need to talk Jackson into coming to Freo as part of the deal.

If we want Jackson and Melbourne say we need to talk Lobb into being part of that deal we are in a poor position leverage wise.

But Lobb is outperforming Jackson in the same role, in an equally performing team.
Jackson is still worth a lot more than Lobb due to his age and upside. Melbourne are only chasing Lobb if Jackson is leaving and aren't going to be trading Jackson for Lobb unless they are forced too plus probably our 2 first rounders otherwise we might be paying some of his wage too.

Jackson is still worth a lot more than Lobb due to his age and upside. Melbourne are only chasing Lobb if Jackson is leaving and aren't going to be trading Jackson for Lobb unless they are forced too plus probably our 2 first rounders otherwise we might be paying some of his wage too.

Do we trade Jeremy Cameron for Lloyd Meek if Cameron was our player and Meek was theirs?

Lobb is a vastly superior player and potential doesn't get wins, output does.

I'll snap my foot off kicking the tires on this because our supercar might have more miles on the clock but it's still a better car than the one they are selling.

Do we trade Jeremy Cameron for Lloyd Meek if Cameron was our player and Meek was theirs?

I'll snap my foot off kicking the tires on this because our supercar might have more miles on the clock but it's still a better car than the one they are selling.
You know it's not that simple though, Isaac Smith is currently better than Noddy but I know which one has more value

Vastly superior? Lobb has put together half a decent season for once, including some bad games to be serviceable at 29 years old.

Jackson is a young ruck/forward who dominated a period of the GF & has a lot of development to go.

Jackson is more the supercar that needs some tuning & polish. Lobb is more your expensive luxury car that has been at the mechanics far too long and they have somehow got it driving well but you're wondering for how long if you push it.

Both cars are expensive, but that's the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back