Autopsy Round 16 vs Collingwood at Metricon Stadium, Saturday 2nd July, 7:25pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam's been a bit rushed and anxious the past two weeks. He was so much better (as was Ballard) when Rory took that last tall.
This is a fantastic reason to bring Rory back in. If Graham's poor performance yesterday wasn't enough to convince everyone to drop him, then think about how much more calm and better Collins was when Rory played. At that point people were talking about him potentially being an All Australian defender and yesterday he looked like a deer in the highlights at times.

We went into the R7 clash against the Pies without Budarick and without Rory. As a result we saw Ginnivan and Mihocek kill us by combining for 7 goals. I want Budarick in to help cover Ginnivan and I really feel we need the extra height with Rory now that Mason Cox has found his way back into the Collingwood forward line.

tbh, should have smashed them by 10 goals.
62 inside 50's v 50
32 shots at goal from those 62 inside 50's v GWs 19 shots.
17 of the misses were genuine behinds. Just wasteful in front of goal.
We aren't usually that bad in front of goal. Not since early in the season. I don't suggest its something that'll happen too often.
Fair enough. It's certainly unusual for Collingwood to have that many shots on goal. 32 against the Giants vs an average of 23.1 per match for the first 13 rounds of the season. I doubt we'll see that again for the rest of this season and I'd like to think we wouldn't concede that many inside 50s on Saturday night.

Fair enough. It's certainly unusual for Collingwood to have that many shots on goal. 32 against the Giants vs an average of 23.1 per match for the first 13 rounds of the season. I doubt we'll see that again for the rest of this season and I'd like to think we wouldn't concede that many inside 50s on Saturday night.
Yeah, that's the GWS and their lack of defence lol With the way they have been playing lately, you attack more you have to give up something which ends up defence (until they clean that up) the pies were similar earlier this season.
But yeah, I doubt that happens too much.

Hopefully these are our big points of difference from when we last played.
- Rankine had 8 touches and 2 score involvements, Ainsworth played well, but both are currently dominating games and will be a massive headache.
-Budarick was in his return game and played really poorly, since then he has been fantastic. I hope he can get up.
-No Davies, sadly he’s been a liability for us.
-No Macpherson, was terrible.
-Swallow in the middle, has changed our midfield and has been huge since the change.
-Metricon Stadium, we are a much better team at our home ground.

We played pretty poorly last time but have been a much better team since, however they have also improved. But I think we’re going into this game a completely different team. I just hope we don’t lose this game at the selection table again

Against Port burgess played as key fwd not as running 3rd tall like a Jeffery or Lukosius would. In fact it was more chol or casboult that got up the ground more at times. If we want to go with a similar setup I wonder if Day is the better option. Or Lukosius comes in that spot where he started the season. Early in the week but I'm thinking something like.
Holman casboult chol
Rankine🤞 day ainsworth
Ellis Anderson luko
Budarick ballard markov
Lemmens Collins Thompson
Witts Rowell miller

Swallow rosas bowes farrar
Sub atkins

Against Port burgess played as key fwd not as running 3rd tall like a Jeffery or Lukosius would. In fact it was more chol or casboult that got up the ground more at times. If we want to go with a similar setup I wonder if Day is the better option. Or Lukosius comes in that spot where he started the season. Early in the week but I'm thinking something like.
Holman casboult chol
Rankine🤞 day ainsworth
Ellis Anderson luko
Budarick ballard markov
Lemmens Collins Thompson
Witts Rowell miller

Sub atkins
Burgess just needs to get his spacing with other key forwards right. Really spread the defenders, especially Alir. No point clumping up. Chol and Casboult had a similar problem early season but have gotten better with games together.

Holman casboult chol
Rankine day ainsworth
Ellis Anderson luko
Budarick ballard markov
Lemmens Collins Thompson
Witts Rowell miller

Sub atkins
That's his game, he's been doing it to great effect in the vfl but didn't take his chance yesterday. Lukosius is better suited to the 3rd tall role, or Corbett.

That's his game, he's been doing it to great effect in the vfl but didn't take his chance yesterday. Lukosius is better suited to the 3rd tall role, or Corbett.
Yeah unfortunately the afl defenders don't allow him to dominate like he does in vfl. He is a great player to have on the list though, very versatile.

To me Burgess had a nearly game....

Dropped a low diving mark that he probably should have taken... Just missed the set shot from that great running back with the flight mark. Got robbed for a clear free kick at one point 30m out straight in front...He could have had 2 - 3 goals but he had none.

I hope he gets another go this weekend, as he can be a servicable 3rd tall I think.

Just having a read through the centre bounce attendance and its interesting that we basically have witts miller Rowell Anderson with swallow replacing Anderson mainly. Davies has dropped right off the last couple weeks so I think they had already lost faith in him before the knee injury. So I think there is room for another player to take some midfield time whether we go back to fiorini or try bowes in the position he trained pre season for, which is what I am hoping for because just don't think he's a defender. Or we give hollands a go at what he was doing so well in vfl as that mid/fwd. Also chol isn't doing as much ruck work now which i think we may be able to increase a little again.

Dropped a low diving mark that he probably should have taken... Just missed the set shot from that great running back with the flight mark. Got robbed for a clear free kick at one point 30m out straight in front...He could have had 2 - 3 goals but he had none.

I hope he gets another go this weekend, as he can be a servicable 3rd tall I think.
Yeah agree.
Almost marked that one flying in late from the side
Fumbled it then rankine crumbed and kicked his first.

But does that potential outweigh a possible return of Luko? I tend to think the answer is no. Casboult/Chol aren't getting dropped and Rankine/Ainsworth are definitely staying in the team. Rosas won't be going out IMO so it really only leaves one guy to go out for Luko and that's Burgess. I think we're getting better with our inside 50 entries but you can always improve in that area and we all know Luko dramatically increases the chances of that happening. I could make the argument that several clean inside 50 entries from Luko is worth more than several contested marks/goals from Burgess.

Davies is injured so I would shift Bowes into the midfield and Budarick can return to the backline. Budders was a test last week so you'd have to think he's a near guarantee to return against the Pies. Then lastly I would replace Graham with Rory. Huge relief that Rankine isn't injured but I think that eliminates the possibility of Hollands debuting this week.

IN
Jack Lukosius, Connor Budarick, Rory Thompson

OUT
Chris Burgess, Alex Davies, Caleb Graham

all corporates are sold out. should be 20k there easy you would think! school holidays, braithwaite singing horses, two in form teams, and the pies. big occasion!

all corporates are sold out. should be 20k there easy you would think! school holidays, braithwaite singing horses, two in form teams, and the pies. big occasion!
Is this greater than usual? for someone thats never been to metricon for a pies game. Is it usually one of the bigger crowds?

I do wonder if the weather will put off some people. Apparantely not gonna be great

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this greater than usual? for someone thats never been to metricon for a pies game. Is it usually one of the bigger crowds?

I do wonder if the weather will put off some people. Apparantely not gonna be great
I have no stats to back this up but I reckon Collingwood has more supporters living on the gold coast than any other interstate team. I believe our biggest ever crowd was against them back in the day, and we typically pull big crowds against them.

for that reason, I'll be getting to the ground a lot earlier than usual haha.

I know it's been pointed out already but we've been very good at Metricon this year. 36-point win over Fremantle, 30-point win over Carlton, 43-point win over Adelaide and a 13-point loss to Melbourne. The only match where we got pantsed on the scoreboard was against Brisbane (52-point loss) but even that should have been much closer when you breakdown the stats. We clearly play our own ground well these days and I feel the predicted rain will play in our favour (just as it did against Fremantle). Chol was unbelievably good against the Dockers when it was teeming down with rain and a few other players like Rowell and Rankine did some really nice things with the ball in trying conditions. I expect a similar effort on Saturday night.

People have also made a big deal about Collingwood's recent form and winning five in a row but four of those five wins were in Melbourne and the last time they traveled to Queensland back in round 5 they lost to the Lions. We also happen to be in really good form lately and if you go back to round 8 when we beat the Swans in Sydney, we've gone 5-2 since then which is the exact same amount of wins Collingwood has had since then. We were also genuine a chance to beat both the Dogs and Power in those losses whereas Collingwood got touched up by the Dogs and Tigers in those 2 losses.

We deserve to be favourites going into this game.

I still can't believe we're now favourites going into this game. I think being at home and possibly playing in the wet will help us but still weird to see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back