Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not a big fan of terms like genuine tall. Tiller was tall enough to defend against most opponents and if he had spent a few more years in the system he might have added enough additional size, strength and tricks to be able to cope with almost all.

As you have pointed out we were pretty well stocked with tall defenders back then but if another club had been smart enough, they could have picked up a bargain when we delisted him.

He was shopped around by his manager Marty Pask at the time before he was delisted, but no takers:

As his post-AFL record below shows, could certainly play, would surely have been on other AFL club's radar over the next few years,

• went back to SANFL (WWT Eagles) and played in a flag in 2011
  • then came back to Vic and played at Avondale Heights in the EDFL until 2014, made their team of the decade and EDFL team of the year in 2014
  • crossed to reigning WRFL premiers Deer Park in 2015 and played in several more flags (Lions won 7 back-to-back 2013-2019!)

Be interesting to hear if any clubs spoke to him or he tried out anywhere during those post-Bulldogs years.

Maybe ITK can do episodes with a few past lesser lights at a time as a "whatever happened to..."? Tiller, Markovic, Barlow as the first group!

He was shopped around by his manager Marty Pask at the time before he was delisted, but no takers:

As his post-AFL record below shows, could certainly play, would surely have been on other AFL club's radar over the next few years,

• then came back to Vic and played at Avondale Heights in the EDFL until 2014, made their team of the decade and EDFL team of the year in 2014
  • crossed to reigning WRFL premiers Deer Park in 2015 and played in several more flags (Lions won 7 back-to-back 2013-2019!)

Be interesting to hear if any clubs spoke to him or he tried out anywhere during those post-Bulldogs years.

Maybe ITK can do episodes with a few past lesser lights at a time as a "whatever happened to..."? Tiller, Markovic, Barlow as the first group!
Marko came 10th in the B&F in 2011, his first season

Surely you're not claiming a player in their mid-late 20's playing EDFL and WRFL would put them on the radar of making to the AFL?

Having coached against some of these players from this period as a senior assistant coach, to.say they were not up to the standard is blatantly wrong. They did not have the level of support required. Not to say they would have succeeded, but they required more to succeed, but this was at the level below VFL.

Having been exposed to VFL level coaches and listening to our coaches, we are in very good hands

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
For a "Future of the club" discussion, there’s a lot of discussion about an insignificant player of the past
Given some were told at the AGM that 'the announcement of goalkicking coach was/is imminent' 6 days ago I wonder if they might've meant 'unavoidable' or 'inevitable'. An announcement is unlikely over xmas/new year festivities. Hopefully whoever it is starts working with the teams first week back and the club isn't blowing smoke up our backsides.

Given some were told at the AGM that 'the announcement of goalkicking coach was/is imminent' 6 days ago I wonder if they might've meant 'unavoidable' or 'inevitable'. An announcement is unlikely over xmas/new year festivities. Hopefully whoever it is starts working with the teams first week back and the club isn't blowing smoke up our backsides.
Welcome to the board PLP. (Consider yourself showered with Gatorade.)

The pitchfork and flambeau brigade are no longer clamouring outside VUWO so the club may think they’ve done enough for now.

I’m less concerned about who it is than just knowing they acknowledge it’s a problem. Enough to appoint someone - anyone - to try to fix it. And to allocate some training time to it.

Welcome to the board PLP. (Consider yourself showered with Gatorade.)

The pitchfork and flambeau brigade are no longer clamouring outside VUWO so the club may think they’ve done enough for now.

I’m less concerned about who it is than just knowing they acknowledge it’s a problem. Enough to appoint someone - anyone - to try to fix it. And to allocate some training time to it.
Thankyou dw, I'm singing the song. I thinks its great they've finally acknowledged the problem coz its been sticking out like bulldogs balls for far too long. I hope the 'anyone' they appoint is not another defensive coach. 😀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have Mathew Boyd at Freo, Dale Morris in Brisbane and Jordan Roughead at Collingwood, all very important leaders in our premiership year. I heard Tory Dickson wasn’t too interested in helping teach goal kicking. Tom Boyd is helping improve mental health in the community. Mitch Wallis and Clay are coaching at lower levels. I wonder what Liam Picken and Easton Wood are up to? They are two bulldog leaders who surely have a future in the game still? Hopefully the club can find a way to use their wisdom and status and experience?

We have Mathew Boyd at Freo, Dale Morris in Brisbane and Jordan Roughead at Collingwood, all very important leaders in our premiership year. I heard Tory Dickson wasn’t too interested in helping teach goal kicking. Tom Boyd is helping improve mental health in the community. Mitch Wallis and Clay are coaching at lower levels. I wonder what Liam Picken and Easton Wood are up to? They are two bulldog leaders who surely have a future in the game still? Hopefully the club can find a way to use their wisdom and status and experience?
Well Liam Picken has sued the club. So you can scratch his name off.

That’s sad. For concussions I suppose? He played and we follow a game that is inherently dangerous, he knew that we know that, unless it is wilful neglect, which I doubt, he hasn’t really got a case. Maybe part of the league wide deal to get them some compensation but to sue your own club seems a bit unfair? That club has given him so much.

I'm not sure it's bad blood though. Think it's just the system and the only real way through it. If he has life long problems and medical expenses that has to be paid somehow. System is to sue and the club likely only pays the excess on their insurance. Unless the AFL decides to cover it league wide.

I'm not sure it's bad blood though. Think it's just the system and the only real way through it. If he has life long problems and medical expenses that has to be paid somehow. System is to sue and the club likely only pays the excess on their insurance. Unless the AFL decides to cover it league wide.
Probably not, but I doubt anyone would go and seek employment from a business they are litigating while they are in court with them.

Once the dust settles I’m confident Liam Picken will be welcomed back into the fold. Probs as a past player and not as a coach though.

Presumably he doesn’t have the mental capacity to pursue full time coaching given the concussion issues. He never really struck me as a future coach either.

Does anyone know what Easton Wood is up to? Studying?

74.79%

Then daylight.

Weightman at 70.21
Hall 69.95
Robbins 66.50
Garlick 65.52
Darcy 65.36
Gia 65.16
Mitch Wallis 64.50
Gilbee 64.32
Beasley 64.17
Templeton 63.66
Del-re 63.18
Grgic 62.16
Hudson 61.67
Cook 61.54
Sandilands 61.13
Johnno 61.12
Stringer 60.84
Osborne 60.12
Higgins 60.09

These and below are a selection of forwards or known goal kickers with over 80 Bulldogs goals (just my nominal figure) and percentage stats are also for Bulldogs career only.
(I've only used Quinlan/Sandilands era onwards as behinds weren't recorded prior to mid-60s)

For comparison of other current or past well-known forwards/regular goal kickers who kicked below 60%:
Bont 54.05
Granty 59.70
Quinlan 48.79(!)
Edmond 54.46
Hawkins 56.10
N. Brown 58.36
Kolyniuk 54.25
Naughton 57.53
Murphy 59.03
Aker 56.72
Tom liberatore 58.70

Below 80 Bulldogs goals but I think worth noting:
Jones 62.96
Dunkley 49.62
English 55.26
Bruce 67.02
Scott Welsh 61.76
Brian Royal 51.55
McLean (Toby) 53.45
JUH 53.10
Bamblett 56.19
Redpath 64.04
Foster 41.18 (moved forward late in his career)
Bowen 67.07
Macrae 56.84
Schache 65.43
Croft snr 63.72
Crameri 64.22
Lachie Hunter 46.50
JJ 51.72
Josh Hill 60.48
Minton-Connell 61.63
Caleb Daniel 59.49
Sam Lloyd 55.56
Tom Boyd 62.69

Now some of these guys played in eras where many grounds were cow paddocks in winter and balls were replaced at half time so heavily waterlogged at times (Quinlan, Sandilands, Templeton), the other late 70s to late 90s players played on open grounds, with only the G and Waverley built up all round - but even then with swirling breeze or notoriously wet at Waverley, and periodic reconstruction/gaps at the G. While from 2000 on, players have played home games at Marvel, G has provided gradually more protection, and then there's less suburban and more stadium games.

So you'd expect with these advantages, sanitised stadiums, and refined footwear and allegedly better all-round skills, accuracy on goal would have at least trended upwards across the board.
Beasley, Del-Rey and Templeton are the standouts on that list having played mostly out of the goalsquare… The way that the ‘Pieman’ used to hunch over and guide the ball onto his boot is textbook perfect

Seven News have confirmed that Brad Johnson will be goalkicking coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back