Review Good/Bad vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat right behind Pedlar kicking 4 howlers in a row for maybe 1 point.

A week before our first game I had a really bad feeling about this year for some reason. Can't explain why except for getting the feeling that we may not see the linear progression of the players that we need, hence we'll stagnate or go backwards. Not great signs so far.

Dawson starting the year and horrible form doesn't help either.

He would have just pulled out the VHS from 20 years ago labelled "foolproof way to beat Crows always works"
Stewart must so look forward to playing the Crows when he looks at the fixture.

A week before our first game I had a really bad feeling about this year for some reason. Can't explain why except for getting the feeling that we may not see the linear progression of the players that we need, hence we'll stagnate or go backwards. Not great signs so far.

Leigh Montagna said he had a feeling this could be a 'growing pains' year for us, proven very right so far.

I'm a fan of Pedlar, but he needs to be dropped after tonight's horrible selfish effort.

So our formula for the whole 4 quarters this week, and for 3 and a half quarters last week has been slow methodical down the line footy then bomb into the forward line.

What genius came up with this game plan?

This is like watching the crows of the mid 1990’s befor blight. Bring McGuinness back, that bloke could hit the roof at Docklands.

I also don't think having kept Rahilly would make a huge difference at this point. It's not just a forward line problem, it's an around the ground issue where we're overloaded in certain areas and handicapping ourselves all over the ground because of it.

It reminds me of 2018/19 when Pyke got ultra scared and conservative with our ball movement and we became terrified of moving the ball quick and with precision and teams could just set up behind the ball and wait for us to bomb it long.

Both Dawson & Laird have had 2 really poor games... yet we refuse to give other players more inside minutes when they are down on form.

That is on the coaches...
AGREED!!!

Nick's needs to play the video of Hentey doing his hair before a mark OVER and OVER and OVER again. If the opposition feels it has enough time to finess itself, clearly we are not pressuring the ball carrier

I also don't think having kept Rahilly would make a huge difference at this point. It's not just a forward line problem, it's an around the ground issue where we're overloaded in certain areas and handicapping ourselves all over the ground because of it.

It reminds me of 2018/19 when Pyke got ultra scared and conservative with our ball movement and we became terrified of moving the ball quick and with precision and teams could just set up behind the ball and wait for us to bomb it long.
Snap.

Exactly what I just posted.

Game plan is slow down the line footy and bomb into F50. That is the game plan of a bottom 2 side

Why are the players now scared when they were playing fast ball movement most of last year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is elite from Jeremy Cameron hahaha

So what our milestone man do?

A whole 9 disposals and 226m gained, two tackles. Just outstanding.

Would be more help if he worked the merchandise booth.

I just don't get it. I can accept persisting with a younger more talented player but this is as good as he is going to get. What's the point.

The problem when you throw development out the window is you finish higher up the ladder but its a false economy. What Nicks did last year was inexcusable in my book. Yeah its a temporary feel good story, pushing for finals but its short term. We still have a Tex obsessed forward line. Our midfield of Crouch, O'Brien and Laird is stale. We have no Ruck solutions, we have a short backline. Our forward line is short as well.

Fun facts with Cousin Eddie
15 players on our list have played less than 20 games. Just 2 of these players played tonight
26 players have over played under 50 games. Just 9 of these players played tonight.
3 of the 4 players over 30 on our list keep being selected. Sloane would be if he was fit.
14 players over 25 on the list. All of them played except for Sloane, Himmelberg and Strachan.

These are the type of stats the media should be smashing the club over?

One big question is what hell is Burgess doing in our side? This question is purely based on the fact he is literally the very definition of a fly by night style 2 year player at best. 28yo useless for us long term.
He got himself a new contract at the expense of the future. Our dumb idiot board lapped it up and will now sack him having to pay him out. Even our dumb board will sack him if he finishes bottom 6.

Why are the players now scared when they were playing fast ball movement most of last year?
Because Nicks went back to his true form that we saw in 2021/22.

He's a defensive coach, the first thing defensive coaches think. If you play quick and use the corridor you can turn it over and leave yourself vulnerable for easy scores against. So you play slow, go down the line, if you don't mark it you kill the ball, set up for a throw in and chuck numbers at the contest to win it.

They saw the numbers last year. Great at scores for, bad at scores against. We gotta stop getting scored against, so let's slow it down, don't let the opposition get good field position and keep it in a contest where we can win an arm wrestle.

Because Nicks went back to his true form that we saw in 2021/22.

He's a defensive coach, the first thing defensive coaches think. If you play quick and use the corridor you can turn it over and leave yourself vulnerable for easy scores against. So you play slow, go down the line, if you don't mark it you kill the ball, set up for a throw in and chuck numbers at the contest to win it.

They saw the numbers last year. Great at scores for, bad at scores against. We gotta stop getting scored against, so let's slow it down, don't let the opposition get good field position and keep it in a contest where we can win an arm wrestle.
Nicks was actually a midfield coach though and we were the most attacking team last year, that would suggest he isn't a defensive coach. We had 66 inside 50s tonight, that's quite attacking.

McHenry good as the sub again, just has to be his position. Showed more urgency than most of our players and tried to move the ball with some pace, even though our structures were so bad ahead of the ball.
He will never amount to anything as a player. He should work at his fishing presentation skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back