Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I was previously saying we'd have our answer by round 6, but i've changed my tune. If mumbles cant lead the team to a victory against North in round 2 then we have our answer. The CEO can't keep spruiking the pathway to a premiership cup (which we're already behind on) if we can't even beat one of the most useless teams this decade (who beat us at home last year - how embarrassment).
whew-relief.gif

The players like him, the club likes him, he's clearly a highly regarded man, and that shows through in the last couple of performances, sometimes you need to go one step back to go two steps forward.

Last year was a bad year, but when you look at it from a logical and realistic perspective it was a retooling year, we'd lost 4 of our Best 22 players from 2022, the playing list was still incredibly young and Longmuir had to go back to the drawing board, but the club clearly think he's the best man for the job so they trusted the process.

It's still very early, and by no means am I letting Longmuir off the hook here, but maybe, just maybe, the club knew what they were doing by backing him in and re-signing his contract.

"Hail to the king baby!.. Its time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.. and I'm all outta gum"

- Justin Longmuir

The AI generators aren't great :p

This photo is a good starting point -

Dylan Burns/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question - to all those that thought JL wasn't the guy and should be replaced, what is your current thinking?

Do you still have concerns or are you wavering? Or have you done a complete 180 and jumped on board?

This is not a "told you so" post...I'm genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts.

Serious question - to all those that thought JL wasn't the guy and should be replaced, what is your current thinking?

Do you still have concerns or are you wavering? Or have you done a complete 180 and jumped on board?

This is not a "told you so" post...I'm genuinely interested to hear people's thoughts.
I think we'll know more after our first loss. There are a few just waiting quietly to come back out of hiding. So predictable.

I'm not one of those to whom you're posing the question, but even I feel that the only appropriate response to this question is that it's far too early to say. Two wins from behind, following less than perfect starts, and one of those against a wooden spoon candidate — I can appreciate why those with reservations would still have reservations, even though I don't necessarily have the reservations myself.

In fact, in my mind all you've done by asking this question after only two wins is guarantee the loss that allows the Longmuir critics to post their answers on Friday night, having been conspicuous in their absence in the days between now and then.

Yes, it is not easy living with this proclivity for imagining the worst.

that's ok. Their pride will keep them strong and on task, but they must be just itching for that first loss to pile on

I am neutral on Longmuir and for my own selfish reasons hope he succeeds I.e.I want my club to do well.

His record as a coach is a 50% win ratio and a 50% loss ratio, so neither good nor bad.

I am leaning ever so slightly to the positive side after the first two rounds however the team need to win the majority of our home games and stop giving the opposition a head start in first quarters before I hop on the JL bus.

Our best football in 2024 looks much improved on previous seasons and that is a positive result for JL's coaching credibility.

Yes I hope Justin does well.

I dont think one year Coach extensions are good. IF the club supports you as a coach then they should confirm that with a longer contract. a short contract ext for a coach is almost as bad as one for a player.
it suggests
1. There is a performance contract involved with KPIs to be met. This is ok, but be more open about it.
2. The coach is going to retire voluntarily (not likely in this case)
3. There is no suitable replacement YET !

So i am not agaisnt Justin. I think he doing a reasonable job and he will get better. But i am against short term extensions if the goal was to show support for the coach.

As the media said. this was just done to try and silence the media / fans . but obviously didnt work for that outcome.

So lets hope for Justins and the teams benifit mainly that he performs well as coach and we win more and more.

Having been here for the 30yrs we have had too many "Fully supported coaches" that were sacked and replaced.

I still love Gerards style way back in 1995... he just didn't have the players to perform that style against the opposition. but geee it was fun to watch at times :)

Last edited:

He's had one good (probably for many unexpected) win and one expected win. Sorry but two games is not going to shift many people that have built up doubts after four seasons
My position hasn't changed

I still have concerns, some of which won’t be answered until we play another finals series, which we need to be good enough to make first. We are trying to win a premiership at the end of the day so the question is is he good enough to be a premiership coach?

Also for someone relatively young like JL coming in fresh to the coaching game you have to factor in a lot of learning and improvement. You can’t just assess them as a static entity, good or bad. Honestly he’s looked like a deer in headlights at times early in his coaching career and been caught unprepared, but one thing I like about JL is he’s usually shown capacity to learn from his mistakes. I said in my Top 4 thread that JL should be poised to have his best ever year as a senior coach, into his 5th year now and having experienced all the ups and downs of AFL coaching throughout 4 mixed years.

There have been signs of improvement over the preseason and early on in the H&A, he seems to be more prepared, more confident and assured, the team’s vibe has been united. Results-wise it’s too early to say but we seem to be playing a more up-tempo version of the same style and we clearly look better and more fluent than this time last year, while still having some glaring issues to fix (mainly the way we are gearing up and launching into games).

No change from me. The slow starts are still a massive problem and have been since mid 2022. Game 1 against Brisbane actually wasn’t too bad a start - the 4 goals we gave up were more from silly mistakes. The start against north was massively concerning. We were obliterated.

I’m more than happy to be proven wrong but I’m still on the anti JLo side. Great guy when I’ve spoken to him, but just not inspiring for me.

2 games in my opinion still stands but there’s been some nice footy, just not consistent enough. Hopefully that’s just early season cobwebs.

When JL can consistently get 4 quarters from his players I’ll be happier.

The list is pretty much stacked and
arguably our best list?
But IMO would love to add more to the coaching staff.
Having a contingency plan hasn’t hurt Sydney or Port.

The list is pretty much stacked and
arguably our best list?
But IMO would love to add more to the coaching staff.
Having a contingency plan hasn’t hurt Sydney or Port.
It might be our best list eventually, but that hasn't happened.

Our current spine does not compare with the 2012-2015 one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back