Preview Changes Rd 4 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

one of the special things about the 1997 team was that it had so many young players (under 22). Maybe our club could get the hint?
Yep.
Imagine that. SEVEN players under 22 in the Flag-winning side!

Blighty believed in them, they knew it, and they rose to the challenge (like many young players are doing in other AFL sides).
We're saddled with Nicks, whose lack of flair/daring shapes the way/s our juniors are playing --- being yo-yo-ed in and put of the side, or not even selected --- and reflects the doubts of the Coach.

You missed the punchline

He said the coach talks a lot about connection. Back in his day, the coach said kick it to your team mate. He thinks the Crows problems are they aren't kicking it to their team mates.
In my post I said:
"He said (paraphrasing) footy's a game where you kick to your teammate. The Crows are not kicking to their teammates."
You said the same thing, in bold above. Uhhhh, what'd I miss?:confusedv1:

Yep.
Imagine that. SEVEN players under 22 in the Flag-winning side!

Blighty believed in them, they knew it, and they rose to the challenge (like many young players are doing in other AFL sides).
We're saddled with Nicks, whose lack of flair/daring shapes the way/s our juniors are playing --- being yo-yo-ed in and put of the side, or not even selected --- and reflects the doubts of the Coach.
But if we played our youth, we might be 0 and 3 right now! Nicks will end up as the coach with the worst winning percentage of any we've had. Worse still, we are running a Laird Crouch combo again. The same as the one we had before we (rightfully) sacked Pyke.

Rebuild never happened

This is the negative thinking I mentioned before

Instead of being daring and bold we retreat further into mediocrity

But I'm sure AFC979810 has a stack of stats to support this

Don't support Sholl being in and out like a yo yo.

Just like I don't support stupid ideas that are on par with something Nicks would do (throwing Pedlar to the wolves this week).

I honestly can’t believe we selected Berry again and over Dowling
If Berry is the sub, I’ll be ok with it.

If he’s not, it is utter stupidity.

Cook over Dowling makes very little sense on the surface, but with Pedlar/Murphy both going out (bearing in mind Murphy was subbed on for Pedlar), we need someone who can actually play in the forward half and do something at ground level. The choices were Cook or Cook.

Nank in for Sholl is a tick.

I don’t think I would’ve bothered bringing Butts in for Borlase but whatever. Borlase is a likely delistee at the end of 2024 and Butts isn’t.

Milera out means we need a ground level player in the back half. I can live with Parnell.

And with Laird and Crouch providing little to no pace or ability to either score or dish goal assists by foot, surely, SURELY we would not Chuck Berry (see what I did there) back into a starting 22 role. This absolutely had to be Dowling if they plan to start this player in the 22. Cook is really the only other player I could envision being sub, because we do have 7 other guys who can play predominantly forward in the team (Walker, Burgess, Fog, Keays, Rachele, Rankine, McHenry).

If Berry isn’t the sub, I’m not even sure I can last until half time. It’s going to be a brutal watch either way I fear.

Commentators are seeing what we have all been saying, the midfield is getting its hands on the ball but our movement from HB to forward is worst in league

So the changes
The back 6 has been OK from a big defender perspective with Butts, Borlase, Keane and Worrell doing their part. Our drive from HB is awful and our Captain is playing terrible footy. So let's revert to Dawson at HB along with Hinge, both need to clean up. Smith to Snaffle or bench. Jones and Nank can roll through there as well (wish they would bring in Ryan or Curtin for some quality).

Midfield and wings is Berry/Dowling and Crouch along with a mix of Soligo, Rank and Rachelle. Michalanney plays either midfield or HB. Wings swapped between Jones, Soligo, Nank and even Smith/Hinge.

Up forward Laird moves to HF or Snaffle, with Tex, FOG and Burgess with Rank/Rachelle/Berry and this week Cook rolling through there.

This would give us a much better spread and drive

Now for the love of god Nicks give Nankervis and Cook a minimum of 5 weeks in the A’s
Give them leeway like you do Rob, jones, smith, Murphy, Tex, sloane, laird, pedlar, milera, fog, Rachele and anyone else I’ve forgotten.

Absolutely.

Club is going to have figure out who to keep and who to let go:

Fringe players - Sholl, McHenry, Parnell, Cook, Berry, Hamill, Gollant are all out of contract at the end of the year.

Really liked what I saw from Nankervis last year and he hopefully he is given the next 20 games to make that HBF role his own. Unfortunately for Milera - I think its pretty much career over for him. When he did this injury in 2020 - it took him until 2023 to come back and be AFL quality. Fingers crossed (for F/S implications) he isn't the 21st AFL player to end his career on 99 games.

Last edited:
Murphy out and I thought I would be ecstatic. But it aint the case.

Don't mind Butts for Borlase
Love bringing in Nank for Milera
Love bringing in Cook for Sholl

Hate bringing in Berry for Pedlar
Hate bringing in Parnell for Murphy.

Selecting Parnell over Curtin is probably the worst decision this week from Nicks.

Here are the top draftees games so far:

Pick 1 -3
Pick 2 - 3
Pick 3 - 1
Pick 4 - 3
Pick 5 - 3
Pick 6 - 3
Pick 7 - 4
Pick 8 - Curtin - ZERO AFTER 4 ROUNDS

He played in the SANFL last week and got 18 touches. Parnell got 20 touches.

So Nicks chooses the 178cm player we got in the rookie draft in 2021 who wasn't even offered a proper list spot in 2024 over a player who was widely touted as a top 5 pick.

Make it make sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selecting Parnell over Curtin is probably the worst decision this week from Nicks.

Pick 1 -3
Pick 2 - 3
Pick 3 - 1
Pick 4 - 3
Pick 5 - 3
Pick 6 - 3
Pick 7 - 4

So Nicks chooses the 178cm player we got in the rookie draft in 2021 who wasn't even offered a proper list spot in 2024 over a player who was widely touted as a top 5 pick.

Make it make sense.
If you ask the resident training expert in bigman - Curtin isn’t quite ready yet

FWIW, I’d play Dowling and Edwards over Berry and Parnell

I totally agree. I don't personally hold hope that Curtin is a full-time mid, but just might be a new Tom Lynch connector. Wouldn't that just be 1,000,000 times better than Murphy.

And we got him KPD in the SANFL... sigh.

Pick 1 -3
Pick 2 - 3
Pick 3 - 1
Pick 4 - 3
Pick 5 - 3
Pick 6 - 3
Pick 7 - 4

Make it make sense.
Not sure if you saw my posts but I went to their captains run last night and it looks like (from where they were setting up)
Cook in for pedlar
Parnell in for milera
Nank in for sholl
Berry was in the centre

In my post I said:
"He said (paraphrasing) footy's a game where you kick to your teammate. The Crows are not kicking to their teammates."
You said the same thing, in bold above. Uhhhh, what'd I miss?:confusedv1:
The bit where he has a crack about coaches going on about “connection”. That was the direct jab at Nicks.

Not sure if you saw my posts but I went to their captains run last night and it looks like (from where they were setting up)
Cook in for pedlar
Parnell in for milera
Nank in for sholl
Berry was in the centre

In the dictionary under "low ceiling" there's a picture of this guy.

Pick 1 -3
Pick 2 - 3
Pick 3 - 1
Pick 4 - 3
Pick 5 - 3
Pick 6 - 3
Pick 7 - 4

Make it make sense.
Every other club is clearly wrong, and we are clearly right.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Commentators are seeing what we have all been saying, the midfield is getting its hands on the ball but our movement from HB to forward is worst in league

So the changes
The back 6 has been OK from a big defender perspective with Butts, Borlase, Keane and Worrell doing their part. Our drive from HB is awful and our Captain is playing terrible footy. So let's revert to Dawson at HB along with Hinge, both need to clean up. Smith to Snaffle or bench. Jones and Nank can roll through there as well (wish they would bring in Ryan or Curtin for some quality).

Midfield and wings is Berry/Dowling and Crouch along with a mix of Soligo, Rank and Rachelle. Michalanney plays either midfield or HB. Wings swapped between Jones, Soligo, Nank and even Smith/Hinge.

Up forward Laird moves to HF or Snaffle, with Tex, FOG and Burgess with Rank/Rachelle/Berry and this week Cook rolling through there.

This would give us a much better spread and drive
Stop it. Just stop it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back