Mar 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Footscray-logo-1999.gif
VS
Sydney-logo-1997.gif

3.15pm, Sunday, June 3, SCG, Sydney
Last time we met: Western Bulldogs 11.9.75 def by Sydney 16.18.114, Round 18 2011, SCG

Possible Line-ups:
Western Bulldogs:
B: Murphy, Lake, Hargrave
HB: Addison, Austin, Veszpremi
C: Cross, Boyd, Sherman
HF: Higgins, Jones, Giansiracusa
F: Dahlhaus, Cordy, Cooney
Foll: Minson, Griffen, Picken
IC (from): Wallis, Liberatore, Pearce, Grant, Roughead, Dickson, Skinner, Howard, Smith, Wood

Sydney:
B: Smith, Richards, Shaw
HB: Malceski, Grundy, Mattner
C: Jetta, Jack, McVeigh
HF: O'Keefe, Walsh, Hannebery
F: McGlynn, Reid, Roberts-Thomson
Foll: Mumford, Kennedy, Bolton
IC (from): Pyke, Bird, Dennis-Lane, Parker, Johnson, White, Everitt, Armstrong

Bulldogs Preview: After a close and respectable loss to Geelong on Friday night, the Bulldogs have an eight day break before heading to the SCG to take on the Swans. Sydney flew out of the blocks to begin the season, winning their first 5 games over teams including Hawthorn, North Melbourne and Fremantle, but have dropped off over the past month with some key injuries, winning just one of the past four. At home though, they are always formidable.

At the Selector's Table: A tough week for selection as the team suffered no real injuries on Friday night whilst a number of others are putting their name up for a game. Skinner appears to be most vulnerable after two matches as sub. Pearce played his first game and might be forced back to the VFL, although McCartney does not appear the type to drop players after single games. Names such as Sherman, Dickson and Veszpremi are not automatic selections in the 22 as yet, but would all be unlucky to miss. As has been the case all year, expect one or two from Friday’s team to be rested as the team continues to build its depth. Up for selection are Addison after a week’s suspension, as well as Grant and Cordy who were rested. Wood and Howard are back from injury but may both need a game in the VFL to find touch. Prediction: In: Addison, Grant, Cordy Out: Skinner, Dickson, Roughead (rested)

The Game: In recent years the Bulldogs have struggled against the Swans at the SCG, having won just once out of seven matches since 2003. However under McCartney, the Bulldog’s high possession and contested style will suit the smaller ground. Perhaps the biggest talking point will be whether Mumford returns for the Swans. Given a high number of stoppages are likely around the ground, this is a massive selection as Minson, who is is arguably career best form, should easily account for the backup ruckmen in Pyke and possibly Roberts-Thomson or White. Clearances will be vital, and as such should see Picken given to the strong bodied Kennedy who has taken on greater responsibility in the absence of Goodes. Jack or Bird will likely go to Boyd, as the outside run of Griffen will be limited in the tight spaces of the SCG and could go head to head with O’Keefe. The Swans have several players in the midfield with very high workrate, including McVeigh and Bolton, which will need to be matched by Cross, Liberatore and Wallis. The Bulldogs must be wary of the brilliant pace of Lewis Jetta who has the ability to burst away and collect the kick to advantage in front of goals. He is a difficult matchup and would probably be best suited to Murphy. Sam Reid is a player similar to Jones, capable of taking a strong grab but with consistency issues this year and an unreliable set shot. He looks the likely target for Lake, whilst Walsh, if selected, will be used as their second big forward to be taken by Austin. Given the likely cramped forwardline, the Bulldogs may be at an advantage inside 50 over previous weeks given their lesser reliance on tall men Jones, Roughead and Cordy. Richards will likely take Cordy if he plays, with Grundy to Jones. Look for plenty of goals from out of the middle this week.

Players to watch:
Matthew Boyd: As the number one clearance man, he has the potential to break the game open in the congested midfield.
Robert Murphy: A possible choice for Lewis Jetta, will have his hands full if he does and must work hard to keep up.
Justin Sherman: Has been ok since his return to the team, due for a big game.

Prediction: The Bulldogs are sitting 4-5 are the first 9 and have challenged at times in all but one game for the season. Yet to claim a big scalp, this week looks a great opportunity to surprise the out of form Swans who look to have lost their hunger in recent weeks. Bulldogs by 15 points.

Good write up as usual Sentinel, I am with you I think our style of play will suit the SCG.

Dogs by 25

Kennedy and Boyd will probably just slug it out head to head. You would think Sydney will look to tag Griff, if he has any sort of game it will really give us a chance.

I think we might send Picken to Jetta he's one guy who seems to break the lines. With no Goodes the Swans don't look as good and that has been the case, but they just seem to remain a tough side to beat plus they are so hard to beat at the SCG, if the game were here I'd fancy our chances.

Team selection will be key. Smaller....or Taller?

Looks likely to be wet, so it could be slogg fest and lots of stoppages and so i'm looking forward to watching how Liberatore, Wallis, Boyd and Cross go in tight. The home advantage swings it their way....but just. But if Cooney and Griff get going look out! :D

Another nice write up Sentinel.
I would be very surprised if Dickson gets dropped though.

Good write up sentinel.

Im with you TK, I think we should put Picken on Jetta. Put a lot of physical pressure on him.
The only problem with that would be Kennedy has been kicking goals this year, so it might be dangerous to just leave him open. I'd be comfortable in Boyd getting more of the ball, but it would be good if he could hit the scoreboard a bit more.

I'm not sold on tagging Jetta at the SCG. If it was at Etihad or another larger ground, I think he would be a much bigger worry than at the SCG. Josh Kennedy is a clearance machine and I think whoever gets on top here out of he and Boyd could really have a massive impact on the result of the game. When Kennedy is up, the Swans are up, as such he is my choice for Picken.

Take the conditions, form, ground and strengths of both sides in to consideration then I think the Doggies will prevail by about 3 or 4 goals. They continue with the endeavour that they have been showing they will win, plain and simple. Goodes out is huge. He usually kills the Bulldogs by himself.

I am hoping for a big response from our guys. If we play like last week we wont win simple as that. I watched the Dogs friday and they were in that contest up to their necks, they just dont covert enough of their forward ball into goal scoring opportunities let alone convert them.

They scrap and put in and seem to be good at winning the contested ball which I like.

I can see this being a close struggle, a switched on Sydney at its best IMHO is the better side at the moment, but can we turn it on again this week? I think the home ground advantage is coming back for us after dropping a few last year and I think it will be won in the middle. Both sides struggling forward so the centre clearances could tell the story.

Why do I think we can win, well I think our midfield overall is better and our run off half back is better and we play the scg a lot better than we play in Melbourne.

I wouldnt be surprised if we lose, but I am confident we can win if that makes any sense. Swans by 28

I'm not sold on tagging Jetta at the SCG. If it was at Etihad or another larger ground, I think he would be a much bigger worry than at the SCG. Josh Kennedy is a clearance machine and I think whoever gets on top here out of he and Boyd could really have a massive impact on the result of the game. When Kennedy is up, the Swans are up, as such he is my choice for Picken.

Id agree, no one can run with Jetta anyway. But he relies on being fed the ball, so shut down roles are more important on Kennedy, Bolton, Jack, Okeefe if in the middle. Not saying tag them all or any, but to shut jetta down you shut the blokes feeding him down.

Id agree, no one can run with Jetta anyway. But he relies on being fed the ball, so shut down roles are more important on Kennedy, Bolton, Jack, Okeefe if in the middle. Not saying tag them all or any, but to shut jetta down you shut the blokes feeding him down.

Head to head with Dalhaus would be an interesting contest.

Vale Ryan Hargrave, great stuff. It's a shame his and Griff's milestones weren't home games. Reminds me of West and Smith's 300th in 06, I was at the semi at subiaco sitting next to Westy's sons and missus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head to head with Dalhaus would be an interesting contest.

never know might see.

Quick centre clearance work could be the key for the dogs. Your forward line is inexperienced but seems to play reasonably tall.

Vale Ryan Hargrave, great stuff.

maybe "bravo" ...?

He might be slowing down but he ain't dead yet.

Anyway, I agree. Never before has a player snuck under the radar for 200 games. Our most unsung 200 gamer of all time.

If Sydney come out hard and play a ripping game then they will win, simple as that. If dogs put teh pressure on and Sydney srop off for 1 quarter then we are home. This is going to be a close, hard battle and I for 1 can not wait to watch it! Too bad im at a christening from 2-6!!!!! Will record though :)

Hoping dogs win it by 7 points :)

IMO Sydney are pretenders anyway, have a close look at their record so far.

Wins against, GWS , FREO @ home, Port, North @ home, Hawks in 8 place, Melb @ home.

Losses, Crows, Tigers who just beat the Hawks, Saints top 8.

Swans are always tough at home but there 6 & 3 record looks better on paper IMO.

Having a look at their remaining draw they will only win 3 or 4 more games

To be honest, I think it will be another rip snorter, but think the Swans have the advantage up there. Glad we get to play them in Melbourne after 10 years!

Fair enough Staphy but who have we beaten?
True we haven't beaten anybody, but we don,t claim to be a top4 -8 team.

WC in the game until the last qtr
Crows we were leading during the last qtr
Pies we were in it up to our ears with min to go
Cats same as Pies game in it until the end.

All will most likely finish top 6 .

All I am saying is Sydney think they are a top side and should beat us easily , their record looks good from far but is far from good

IMO Sydney are pretenders anyway, have a close look at their record so far.

Wins against, GWS , FREO @ home, Port, North @ home, Hawks in 8 place, Melb @ home.

Losses, Crows, Tigers who just beat the Hawks, Saints top 8.

Swans are always tough at home but there 6 & 3 record looks better on paper IMO.

Having a look at their remaining draw they will only win 3 or 4 more games

Do you work at the herald sun? Beat freo and north when they were going ok, stuff all people win at aurora and lost to the crows when goodes went down.

Yeh lost two games in melbourne but we dont cover the injuries that well and interstate is harder but if we only win 4 more games come find me and i will clean ur car with a tooth brush. Will make the 8 at worse

Do you work at the herald sun? Beat freo and north when they were going ok, stuff all people win at aurora and lost to the crows when goodes went down.

Yeh lost two games in melbourne but we dont cover the injuries that well and interstate is harder but if we only win 4 more games come find me and i will clean ur car with a tooth brush. Will make the 8 at worse

Done, and for what is is worth I don't think you will make the 8. Either one of these teams will take your spot. Cats, Tigers , North.

images

Staphy's car

Remove this Banner Ad

Back