AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

1. I love Andy McGrath

2. Why are people having a dig at McLuggage? I've got no doubt it's the same people talking up how good Francis/Langford/Laverde are going to be. Give the kid a break, sheesh.
From what I've read it's not so much 'EAD McCluggage'. Comparisons are being made for the benefit of people that cracked it when we took Andy over Clug.

It's so evident in his game that his confidence is developing, I can't imagine where he will be by the end of the season, hopefully, he will be completely breaking lines and using his dash at will. He is teasing us with it at the moment, generally running 5 meters breaking a line and dishing it off, but we all know he can go further.

It's so evident in his game that his confidence is developing, I can't imagine where he will be by the end of the season, hopefully, he will be completely breaking lines and using his dash at will. He is teasing us with it at the moment, generally running 5 meters breaking a line and dishing it off, but we all know he can go further.

Straight up... its a strange one because most players at 8 games don't show the confidence he already has to make such surgical decisions...

Its looking like Andy is like one of those video games characters where you wander around discovering super power weapons to slay the bosses at the climax of the game...

You can see himself holding his running back. With more experience will go full missile mode.

I love his quick hands. Just has those lightening handballs out of the pack that hit the target and open up the play. Amazing.

Agree - I think one of his real strengths is his vision and situational awareness, he knows when he's under the pump and when he's not. For a first year player averaging the possessions that he is, he has rarely been caught with the ball.

That s**t you can't teach.

Agree - I think one of his real strengths is his vision and situational awareness, he knows when he's under the pump and when he's not. For a first year player averaging the possessions that he is, he has rarely been caught with the ball.

Stay with me here as I ramble a little. I've had the same thought, as I'm sure lots of us have - but each time I watch him play, it specifically manifests itself in my head in one of two strange ways.

I either think of the poem 'If' specifically,

"If you can keep your head when all about you" and
"If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it"

Secondly, and completely unrelated to the first point of reference, I think of this scene:

Anyhoo, there ends my ode.

Last edited:

There was an example of this against the Eagles, at one point someone handballed to him and just as I thought what a dumb handball to a guy under pressure, McGarth just whipped out a handball to a team mate running forward.

There is a bit of last year's walla about him, as in his ability to take a possession under pressure yet is able to create something out of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's so bloody hard to play against already. I'd be totally fine if he stayed as a small rebounding defender that got 30 disposals, gained a s**t tonne of metres but still blankets the best opposition small/medium forward.

From what I've read it's not so much 'EAD McCluggage'. Comparisons are being made for the benefit of people that cracked it when we took Andy over Clug.

I am still firmly in the McCluggage camp.

I thought we made a mistake picking McGrath because I thought Hugh would be easily better in 3-4 seasons.

I was wrong on how special McGrath is going to be but I still think Hugh will be special as well.

I am still firmly in the McCluggage camp.

I thought we made a mistake picking McGrath because I thought Hugh would be easily better in 3-4 seasons.

I was wrong on how special McGrath is going to be but I still think Hugh will be special as well.

With how Brisbane is going who knows McCluggage may choose to return home although Brisbane are going to have to do something about the exodus of first round picks.

Agree, He also knows how much pressure the player he passes to has as
well and makes quick decision to give it or not.

It's amazing for a guy with 8 games next to his name that he's already moved from the "Oh he's a young player, hopefully he doesn't get caught and has some awareness" to "Phew, it's in his hands".

Comes across as a guy that will just continue to grow and grow as his career progresses.

I was an uninformed doubter that would've picked McCluggage. Hugh can go on to be as good as he likes. We definitely didn't make the "wrong" decision with McGrath.

It's amazing for a guy with 8 games next to his name that he's already moved from the "Oh he's a young player, hopefully he doesn't get caught and has some awareness" to "Phew, it's in his hands".

Comes across as a guy that will just continue to grow and grow as his career progresses.

I was an uninformed doubter that would've picked McCluggage. Hugh can go on to be as good as he likes. We definitely didn't make the "wrong" decision with McGrath.

Totally agree on every point.

McGrath's a gun. McCluggage is a gun. They're two different players. Be happy we were able to get one of them.

TL;DR: Fitter, happier.
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient, better driver
A safer car, baby smiling in back seat
Sleeping well, no bad dreams
No paranoia
Careful to all animals, never washing spiders down the plughole
Keep in contact with old friends, enjoy a drink now and then
Will frequently check credit at moral bank, hole in wall
Favours for favours, fond but not in love