AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't agree more. He didn't win his first few contests and started hiding pretty quickly. A few instances where he could have chased and pushed and used his pace but he just withdrew. He looked like an athlete rather than a footballer. Major concerns that we shoulda picked Clugga

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Lol

I think it is more overshadowed by our recent draftees that had an impact straight away. Think Heppell, Merrett and Parish. As we can see, not all players have that level of confidence to begin with.

Give the kid some time. He did look a bit out of his depth (and probably smaller than what I expected), but his hands are very quick. Impressed by that. Once he gets more confidence, we'll see his line-breaking abilities and his work in the contest.

Even if McCluggage becomes the better player (and I do expect him to be the better player), as long as McGrath plays the role that we want him to play, it'll be a success.

I will admit that the heady mix of footy is back over excitement, Chardonnay and a jazz cigarette may have got the better of me last night. It's just that I felt like we lost to Collingwood. I don't believe the boy was stellar, but with the likes of Parish, Langford, Zerret and Daniher we have had a dearth of future All Australians with our recent first picks. I have been spoilt.

Last edited:
Obvious troll.
My physical appearance should have no bearing on this discussion sir.
96a63a08f37736438d39136fb740d0b2.jpg

As long as his run and carry transfers through, which I don't see many reasons as to why it wouldn't, he'll be fine. Has already shown he has composure and makes the right decisions. Can only get better and find ways to impact more with experience

#loljkShouldHavePickedClug

Should get a run in the midfield some players our suited to playing another position then going to the guts eg heppell and some aren't lids for example early days and I'd be happy to say Parish would be the same.

Play him in the middle or not at all. Will he be playing bp in the VFL..... no so its foolish IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should get a run in the midfield some players our suited to playing another position then going to the guts eg heppell and some aren't lids for example early days and I'd be happy to say Parish would be the same.

Play him in the middle or not at all. Will he be playing bp in the VFL..... no so its foolish IMO.

He held more than his own last night I think he can play mid field this early.

I will admit that the heady mix of footy is back over excitement, Chardonnay and a jazz cigarette may have got the better of me last night. It's just that I felt like we lost to Collingwood. I don't believe the boy was stellar, but with the likes of Parish, Langford, Zerret and Daniher we have had a dearth of future All Australians with our recent first picks. I have been spoilt.

hqdefault.jpg

Interesting reading. I'm sure McGrath will be a deserved number 1 pick. Will be comparing the careers of McCluggage and McGrath for the next decade. Whats the obsession with Mathieson? He's becoming an absolute monster and has been killing it during intraclub at the Lions and should have been a top 10 pick, so I can understand why the Dons would want him but he aint going anywhere ;)

Good luck for 2017. :)

Interesting reading. I'm sure McGrath will be a deserved number 1 pick. Will be comparing the careers of McCluggage and McGrath for the next decade. Whats the obsession with Mathieson? He's becoming an absolute monster and has been killing it during intraclub at the Lions and should have been a top 10 pick, so I can understand why the Dons would want him but he aint going anywhere ;)

Good luck for 2017. :)

Certain people were desperate for him because he and Parish are good mates, and figured that because he was billed to go higher we messed up by passing on him despite him apparently proving to be quite the knucklehead in interviews.

ergo 'lolshouldhavepickedmathieson' was born

I don't get the McGrath panic. He looks clean and sharp at AFL level. He has been a little reserved but there is nothing to suggest that he won't develop into a dynamic mid with a strong defensive game.
It's kind of like the stock market here, panic and sell at the first hint of downfall.

If people are judging who was better, the GWS played a very undermanned WCE side which rested all their stars. Nothing to worry about, I still think we made the best decision.

He chooses early options, looks smart.
Reminds me of a fitter young Ablett Jnr but more defensive prowess instead of offensive.

Never said better. Ablett wasn't great from the get go. But the comparison of choosing right options n smarts is something that's usually there from day one.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up falling outside the top 10 players drafted in his year. The amount of batshit insane commentary, criticisms and fawning coming from the peanut gallery that is social media probably means clubs have to factor in a potential number one pick's ability to handle that kind of off field pressure as much as on field performance.

What I'm getting at is that if you're the kind of person who slams an 18yo kid after one game (a practice game at that) of footy, or thinks he's the second coming of Ablett you're part of the problem and it's probably your fault we didn't draft someone better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back