AFL Player # 1: Andrew "Pidge" McGrath (Vice-Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

I have previously posted that he is not involved in enough score involvements - Two score involvements is poor form.

I like you mate but this one you got wrong. He was great last night.

His role is as a midfielder, get others involved in better positions than his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We bemoan that our midfielders don't score enough goals, yet some don't value score involvements - There is little scoreboard in McGrath's possessions which must be addressed - I'll also add that the top 10 from the 2016 ND is underwhelming.

We bemoan that our midfielders don't score enough goals, yet some don't value score involvements - There is little scoreboard in McGrath's possessions which must be addressed - I'll also add that the top 10 from the 2016 ND is underwhelming.
A lot have stagnated, the top 20 in general has been pretty average so far.

The other thing that I've noticed is he isn't really stringing four quarters together consistently. He'll have a massive half and then be fairly innocuous the following half (or vice versa).

Evident again today unfortunately, 17 first half possessions followed by just 4 in the second half.

We really need him to start producing four quarter efforts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When Caldwell and Shiel come back I wouldn't mind McGrath going back to defence. Considering the form of Merret, Parish and Cox and Stringer having an impact at centre squares then swapping with Perkins means the midfield is fully stacked. 2MP was great around the ground and when Draper comes back the rocks are good too.

I always thought that Saad was a pick up that boosted our midfield because McGrath went into the middle. Well before that we were relied on McGrath and McKenna to be the one-two punch running it out of the backing and nullifying small forwards.

Sending McGrath back there will have the knock on effect of making Hind more effective.

McGrath can still be part of the midfield rotation in a minor way.

Yep, still think we'll get more value out of him in defence.

Give me an A+ defender over a B midfielder.
He has the ability to do what Darcy did yesterday, he just hasn't had that game at AFL level yet. I don't have an issue with him playing as a rebound defender but I don't think it's mutually exclusive, he can play in defence and through the midfield. In fact, having a midfield with lots of players going through there and rotating through other positions as well is pretty much mandatory with the interchange cap being reduced all the time.

He has the ability to do what Darcy did yesterday, he just hasn't had that game at AFL level yet. I don't have an issue with him playing as a rebound defender but I don't think it's mutually exclusive, he can play in defence and through the midfield. In fact, having a midfield with lots of players going through there and rotating through other positions as well is pretty much mandatory with the interchange cap being reduced all the time.

I agree with that. Id like to see lots of players rotating through there. I'd add Redman from the back line in the mix. Stringer and Walla from the forward line.

I'd also like to see Merret play high half forward. Having him deliver inside 50 10 times a game means we get 10 damaging inside 50s.

Everyone needs to chill about this guy. He's an A grade midfielder. He showed it last year and he's showing it in glimspes this year. He tore apart Mitchell and Omeara a few weeks ago and now people are talking about him being a defender
shut up
Um. Those two were the main factors in Hawthorne beating us.

My eye says he is playing a midfield role in our system that’s more defensive than Merrett/Parish which is allowing them to attack more and hurting his stats. However I haven’t been able to be at the games live so far so not 100% sure of it.

Regardless I’m not worried about him at all, absolute selfless jet with natural leadership qualities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back