Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad-warner-of-the-swans-trains-during-a-sydney-swans-afl-training-picture-id1251467315

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

I was sceptical of warner last year when he played as a fwd, but he really is good in the mids. Built like a tank but has very good acceleration to get clear of other players.

There's a Luke Parker mic'd up video on the swans website where he talks to Warner about positions he wants to play. Warner responds with inside mid, and Luke replies with something along the lines of don't confine yourself to one position. Maybe playing the position you want to play is the best idea...

I was sceptical of warner last year when he played as a fwd, but he really is good in the mids. Built like a tank but has very good acceleration to get clear of other players.

There's a Luke Parker mic'd up video on the swans website where he talks to Warner about positions he wants to play. Warner responds with inside mid, and Luke replies with something along the lines of don't confine yourself to one position. Maybe playing the position you want to play is the best idea...
This kid's preseason reminds me of a young Dane Swan.

Absolutely inside mid is his position.

and that has always been a problem at the Swans, the team trying to force players to be able to play in many positions rather than focusing on what they are actually best at. Sure some versatility is handy, but it should be an afterthought, rather than as the main focus.

Otherwise you end up with a lot of jack of all trades, master of none players.

and that has always been a problem at the Swans, the team trying to force players to be able to play in many positions rather than focusing on what they are actually best at. Sure some versatility is handy, but it should be an afterthought, rather than as the main focus.

I’m not sure it’s a big problem. If Warner is a gun mid I’m sure he’ll still succeed there even if he’s played out of position sometimes in his early days. I do wonder if other clubs share a similar mindset to ours, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see that problem happening with Warner. I think the club has tried to develop Warner's game, and part of that is through playing different roles. He did not show the kind of running patterns or evasiveness he showed on the weekend (and last weekend) as a junior. I watched him many times when he played for the Sharks. But he was so unremarkable (and I don't mean that in a negative way, just that he never caught the eye), that I didn't even noticed I'd watched him every week until he was drafted. I said "Who?", because he was that anonymous to me. Clearly the club thought he had the bones of a good player but wanted to add more strings to his bow to make him more damaging. Playing on the outside can teach you running patterns, playing as a pressure forward can teach you about applying and evading pressure.

I think the club did the same with Rowbottom. I don't think he won a single uncontested possession, nor kicked a goal in the entire two years I watched him as a junior. Now he regularly creates and uses the space well, and is one of our more regular goal-kicking midfielders. His first year in the NEAFL and senior team playing as a half forward/wing would've helped him learn not every possession has to be so hard-fought.

I agree that it becomes a problem if these lessons turn into multiple-year apprenticeships that never end. But that doesn't appear to be the case here. I think it's just excellent coaching.

I’m not sure it’s a big problem. If Warner is a gun mid I’m sure he’ll still succeed there even if he’s played out of position sometimes in his early days. I do wonder if other clubs share a similar mindset to ours, though.

I am not sure they do. I could be wrong but I don't think their respective coaches ever tried to make Charlie Cameron or Eddie Betts into midfielders like Longmire tried with Papley, or doing what he did with Aliir where Aliir seemed to have a different role every single week. We are over 10 years into Reid's career and I am still not sure what his position is, nor am I sure about Heeney's either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see that problem happening with Warner. I think the club has tried to develop Warner's game, and part of that is through playing different roles. He did not show the kind of running patterns or evasiveness he showed on the weekend (and last weekend) as a junior. I watched him many times when he played for the Sharks. But he was so unremarkable (and I don't mean that in a negative way, just that he never caught the eye), that I didn't even noticed I'd watched him every week until he was drafted. I said "Who?", because he was that anonymous to me. Clearly the club thought he had the bones of a good player but wanted to add more strings to his bow to make him more damaging. Playing on the outside can teach you running patterns, playing as a pressure forward can teach you about applying and evading pressure.

I think the club did the same with Rowbottom. I don't think he won a single uncontested possession, nor kicked a goal in the entire two years I watched him as a junior. Now he regularly creates and uses the space well, and is one of our more regular goal-kicking midfielders. His first year in the NEAFL and senior team playing as a half forward/wing would've helped him learn not every possession has to be so hard-fought.

I agree that it becomes a problem if these lessons turn into multiple-year apprenticeships that never end. But that doesn't appear to be the case here. I think it's just excellent coaching.
I hope no one has a mouthful of food or drink when they get to the "excellent coaching" part.

I hope no one has a mouthful of food or drink when they get to the "excellent coaching" part.
If the player develops then a by product is decent coaching along with the individual player. Players rarely turn up at a club and just do their own thing and excel.

Last edited:

Why? When a player fails in the eyes of the supporters, many here immediately blame the coach because we can’t develop talent etc. Needless to say if Warner becomes a player then the same coaches deserve credit.

Why? When a player fails in the eyes of the supporters, many here immediately blame the coach because we can’t develop talent etc. Needless to say if Warner becomes a player then the same coaches deserve credit.

It seems to depend on who the coach is. Anytime a Hawthorn player succeeds it's because Clarko is a genius. Horse only gets credit when a Swans player fails

I am not sure they do. I could be wrong but I don't think their respective coaches ever tried to make Charlie Cameron or Eddie Betts into midfielders like Longmire tried with Papley, or doing what he did with Aliir where Aliir seemed to have a different role every single week. We are over 10 years into Reid's career and I am still not sure what his position is, nor am I sure about Heeney's either.
I agree 100% with AA. His move is a coaching failure not a player failure.
Reid should have moved to defence years ago. He is perfect for a key defender role.

Heeney ....
I don’t know.
Is there a position called wildcard?

It was Dylan Stephens but yep, I have no issues with players stating where they'd like to play.

I agree 100% with AA. His move is a coaching failure not a player failure.
Reid should have moved to defence years ago. He is perfect for a key defender role.

Heeney ....
I don’t know.
Is there a position called wildcard?
Cameron started out on the wing. He was Adelaide's best when we thrashed them in a final.

I think what has really impressed me this preseason with Warner is that he's surprisingly quick. Not lightning, but he hits the contested ball quickly and comes bouncing out the other side, and can break into space rapidly as well.

It's really valuable to have when packaged with his solid frame and competitive spirit, and it wasn't something we got to see in his games last year.

I think what has really impressed me this preseason with Warner is that he's surprisingly quick. Not lightning, but he hits the contested ball quickly and comes bouncing out the other side, and can break into space rapidly as well.

It's really valuable to have when packaged with his solid frame and competitive spirit, and it wasn't something we got to see in his games last year.
What first impressed me with Rowbottom too. That surge that leaves opponents grasping air.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back