Player Watch #1 GigaChad Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

chad.jpg

Chad Warner
When the Sydney Swans swept up Chad Warner with pick 39 at the 2019 AFL Draft, they secured a youngster with an insatiable appetite for the contest. Warner attacks the ball and opponents with aggression and is relishing calling midfield bulls Josh Kennedy and Luke Parker his teammates at the Swans. Warner impressed for Western Australia in the 2019 AFL Under-18 Championships, averaging 18.2 touches (50 per cent contested), 3.2 clearances and 6.8 tackles per game. He also tallied an average of 27.1 disposals, 6.4 clearances and 7.4 tackles per match at Colts level for East Fremantle in 2019. He earned his AFL debut against Richmond in Round 6 of the 2020 season, recording eight disposals and two tackles.

Chad Warner
DOB: 19 May 2001
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #39, 2019 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Willetton (WA)/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited by a moderator:

I love his kick. No other player kicks like him. It looks like just a stab at the ball but it can go a long way. A very unique kicking style. Even long kicks seem like just a stab. No follow through. Yet they travel a long way.
Also does that weird thing where rather than reposition his body or use his non preferred (which I assume he just doesn't have) he slices the ball off the outside of his boot. It's terribly unorthodox but usually comes off.

I really don't understand how the WA clubs missed Warner. I mean I understand not getting McDonald, he was a high draft pick who West Coast and Fremantle could not get, but Warner went pick 39. Both of them could have taken him several times but both ignored him.
And I'll bet both clubs are
A: kicking themselves
B: asking some tough questions of their talent spotting teams.

I really don't understand how the WA clubs missed Warner. I mean I understand not getting McDonald, he was a high draft pick who West Coast and Fremantle could not get, but Warner went pick 39. Both of them could have taken him several times but both ignored him.

Yeah it’s a massive miss. Imagine Reid and Chad in the same midfield for the next decade? No thank you! (Unless Reid likes wearing red and white).

Instead it’ll be Chad and Gulden and aren’t we bloody lucky! 🤍

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'll bet both clubs are
A: kicking themselves
B: asking some tough questions of their talent spotting teams.

Freo got Serong and Young (also Henry but traded) so would just be cherry on top

WCE traded pick 14, 24 and 33 for Kelly...

Freo got Serong and Young (also Henry but traded) so would just be cherry on top

WCE traded pick 14, 24 and 33 for Kelly...
Pretty sure we were interested, but had absolutely nothing left after Carlton went early on Henry.

Funny if you read on the first page of this thread, the draft report had him as not being a very explosive player
He had a growth spurt after being drafted and got orthotics in his shoes which upped his pace a lot according to interviews in 2022

You can tell his confidence is through the roof right now. His tackling pressure and how well he's executing those defensive efforts is just spurring the parts of his game he was already so good at. Just an absolute gun footballer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back