Yabby Medal votes: 0

Averages

Kicks: 8.4 per game
Handballs: 5.8 per game
Disposals: 14.2 per game
Marks: 3.5 per game
Tackles: 1.7 per game

Standout

Round 18, 2020 (versus Gold Coast Suns): Toss-up between this game and his game against Collingwood in round 6. Morrison had 17 disposals in both games, but with the Hawks running out comfortable winners against a fairly disinterested Gold Coast outfit, it's fair to say that this performance had a more positive influence on the outcome of the match when compared to the substantial loss the Hawks suffered at the hands of Collingwood. His failure to poll in the Yabby Medal for the second consecutive season, however, suggests that Morrison may well have peaked as a fringe player for Hawthorn which, in a time of transition for the mighty brown and gold, may not be enough moving forward.

Shocker

Round 16, 2020 (versus West Coast Eagles): Morrison actually had a fairly consistent season in that he very rarely deviated from his average output of 14 disposals per game. He had had 13 disposals for Hawthorn against the Eagles and did lay an equal season-high three tackles, but he didn't do enough to keep his spot as the Hawks were obviously in list assessment mode by the end of the season.

1 - Harry Morrison (2019)
35 - Harry Morrison (2018)

He had a pretty good return to senior footy, and continued to be a steady foot soldier for Clarkson.

He is not flash, he doesn’t have a lot of flair, but he is a solid role player and when he returned to the side he applied himself quite well.
I think you need guys like this fighting for spots in the 22.

He had a pretty good return to senior footy, and continued to be a steady foot soldier for Clarkson.

He is not flash, he doesn’t have a lot of flair, but he is a solid role player and when he returned to the side he applied himself quite well.
I think you need guys like this fighting for spots in the 22.

Something too many people tend to do is to divide a squad into 'best 22' or 'list clogger'; i.e best 22 you keep, and 'list clogger' you get rid of.

People tend to forget the HUGE importance of the 23-30 category of player, who WILL get games due to injury, who need to know a role, and perform it with as little disruption as possible.

When these role players get to their late 20's, then they are list cloggers; their role can be done by a 21 year old instead

Harry is only 21

(In saying that, watching him this year, I DID come to a point, after a glaring clanger, where I was "DELIST HIM!"...but in the cold light of day, I can see there is a role for him in the squad, for the reasons Abasi outlined above)

Something too many people tend to do is to divide a squad into 'best 22' or 'list clogger'; i.e best 22 you keep, and 'list clogger' you get rid of.

People tend to forget the HUGE importance of the 23-30 category of player, who WILL get games due to injury, who need to know a role, and perform it with as little disruption as possible.

When these role players get to their late 20's, then they are list cloggers; their role can be done by a 21 year old instead

Harry is only 21

(In saying that, watching him this year, I DID come to a point, after a glaring clanger, where I was "DELIST HIM!"...but in the cold light of day, I can see there is a role for him in the squad, for the reasons Abasi outlined above)

i agree, like you say he is a fringe player meaning he is in that 20-30 area of a team, he isnt a list clogger or a starting 18 player, at the moment we are lacking some starting 18 players and so fringe players like him get to play most games, its where our list is at atm.

He's still young but I think he is what is he is and I don't see much upside. He's safe enough as a depth player or a fringe player in a weak / developing side but I don't see him being on the list in 2 years time. Just does not really have any tricks. But he doesn't make howling errors either.

Nick Ries Mk.II

A good barometer of our improvement will be whether Harry can still get a game.
It's the thing isn't it
Don't blame the guy getting a game because there isn't anyone better

It's the thing isn't it
Don't blame the guy getting a game because there isn't anyone better

Correct. He should be ranked 26-30 on a good list.

From that point of view he is more like Melbourne era Jordan Lewis.

Harry is our beigest hawk.

He needs to get out of first gear.

I'll b honest a few of his types have won premiership medals.

Harry needs 2 get better 2 stay in the team as we are not looking like winning a premiership soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was coming in here to sigh at offering him a one year contract extension; then I saw the poor bugger was drafted pick 74 - it's unrealistic to be expecting anything from him, and other said the fact he's getting games is a negative reflection on the rest of our list.
Like I wrote elsewhere we could do worse than keep a 21 year old utility that knows our game plan given how many senior players have retired or may still leave during trade and FA

He'd be a cheap one year insurance policy as depth if nothing else.

Rick Ladson was a bit vanilla but played a role.

1603157166028.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back