Traded #10: Aaron Francis - Traded to Sydney w. Pick 42 + Future fourth rounder for Pick 37. Thanks Frang!

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic result. I'm not as sold on him as a lot of other people around here, but I've undoubtedly seen glimpses and that's all you can really ask for at this stage. Big pre-season and he'll hopefully have a massive year!

I get so anxious for other people that are visibly nervous when speaking publicly.
So happy re: re-signing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A silver lining to this year is the accelerated maturity and drive of our youth. Merrett back running. Francis having only 2 weeks off then getting back into it. Sounds like a bunch of the other young guns are doing similar things. When most teens and 20 somethings would be things about the end of season trip, our boys are focused on 2017. They see the potential. They know they're the key, and they're relentless in their search for it. Much respect.

A silver lining to this year is the accelerated maturity and drive of our youth. Merrett back running. Francis having only 2 weeks off then getting back into it. Sounds like a bunch of the other young guns are doing similar things. When most teens and 20 somethings would be things about the end of season trip, our boys are focused on 2017. They see the potential. They know they're the key, and they're relentless in their search for it. Much respect.

It's great that our youth are the ones who will take us forward with the core senior players coming back as the cream.

If I was going to compare Francis to any player in the league, it is Hurley. He has almost identical physical attributes, albeit at a few cm shorter, with game which is built on powerful/explosive movements and average agility (and suspect endurance). I don't see any Goddard even if he says that is who he has based parts of his game on.

The major difference between Francis and Hurley that I can see is that as a defender Francis is an intercept player whereas Hurley is as good a one on one defender as there is in the league. Francis' hands are better and he seems a smarter forward with more tricks than Hurley who really only had a "bull at a gate" lead in his repertoire.

Having seen him forward in the two VFL finals I am now of the view that it's both a better use of Francis' talents and a better fit for the side for him to play forward.

Last edited:
If I was going to compare Francis to any player in the league, it is Hurley. He has almost identical physical attributes, albeit at a few cm shorter, with game which is built on powerful/explosive movements and average agility (and suspect endurance). I don't see any Goddard even if he says that is who he has based parts of his game on.

The major difference between Francis and Hurley that I can see is that as a defender Francis is an intercept player whereas Hurley is as good a one on one defender as there is in the league. Francis' hands are better and he seems a smarter forward with more tricks than Hurley who really only had a "bull at a gate" lead in his repertoire.

Having seen him forward in the two VFL finals I am now of the view that it's both a better use of Francis' talents and a better fit for the side for him to play forward.
I keep thinking Lance Whitnall... Which is good and bad I reckon. Probably the red-hair and lack of muscle definition in the arms but both were big bodied red-heads of similar size with questionable endurance/ conditioning but an amazing ability to judge a football in the air and mark as well as having some serious football smarts.

I keep thinking Lance Whitnall... Which is good and bad I reckon. Probably the red-hair and lack of muscle definition in the arms but both were big bodied red-heads of similar size with questionable endurance/ conditioning but an amazing ability to judge a football in the air and mark as well as having some serious football smarts.

Whitnall is an aesthetic thing.

He had not an ounce of athleticism in him.

Last edited:
Whitnall was is an aesthetic thing.

He had not an ounce of athleticism in him.
Whitnall was a brilliant mark and beautiful reader of the play, especially earlier in his career. I guess that is what I am getting at. He is also a ranga who had tuck shop lady arms.

Was just looking at the grand final footy record and it has Francis listed at 194cm. Interesting If it's correct
So we did end up drafting a KPF last year after all.

I do recall someone posting on Blitz about his height being 194cm, might have been after talking to Aaron's father.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back